webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Music App doesn't load music.
Music App doesn't load music.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkromero

Old 12/04/2012, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

After loading music onto my Pre3, I eject it and when I open the music app the spinning icon continues to spin for hours. Like it's loading continuously. Is there anything that can be done to make this process quicker or for it to not happen at all. Thanks in advance.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
After loading music onto my Pre3, I eject it and when I open the music app the spinning icon continues to spin for hours. Like it's loading continuously. Is there anything that can be done to make this process quicker or for it to not happen at all. Thanks in advance.
Something to do with the Media Indexer i suppose... i haven't had the occasion to see that, since i don't use my phone as a music player, but if a reboot doesn't fix it, this may have something to do with the filenames and/or bad exception handling by the music player you use or the Media Indexer, or both...

(That was a run-on sentence, wasn't it? )
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jkromero
Old 12/04/2012, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

If restart doesn't fix it, look in preware for "Media Indexer Refresh" this will fix a media indexer issue with the files.

Only other thing is, what file type are these music files and did you properly eject device before unplugging from the computer?
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bethel95, jkromero
Old 12/04/2012, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
If restart doesn't fix it, look in preware for "Media Indexer Refresh" this will fix a media indexer issue with the files.

Only other thing is, what file type are these music files and did you properly eject device before unplugging from the computer?
Yes I believe I did. Left mouse button scroll to eject and selected it and waited for the message for safe removal to appear and disconnected the phone. The music files are all mp3. I will give the Media Indexer Refresh a shot.
Old 12/04/2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I believe in webOS, the various indexers only scan the folders for material during boot up. I know a reboot always reveals newly added files for me...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I believe in webOS, the various indexers only scan the folders for material during boot up. I know a reboot always reveals newly added files for me...
That makes perfect sense, but the "Media Indexer Refresh" app referred to above also mentions that the Media Indexer watches for file writes by local binary apps (i guess by hooking into the storage disk driver) and starts again for each of those files. So by performing a write operation on each file it can trick the Indexer into indexing them
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/04/2012, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yeah... I meant stock. I forget often that I need the reboot till... well, when I need the reboot.

Happens with Music, Pics, Vidz...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

On webOS 3.0 the indexer scans at least when the media partition is mounted. It seems to scan downloads, too.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
a battery pull always does the trick for me.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

The only time I have had this happen is last night after copying a bunch of music to my Pre 2. I don't think this is what happened on yours, but the music player acted the same way. It sounds more like it encountered something it didn't like in your case.

I had left the music player was open when I put it in USB mode, and after I ejected it from the PC it started querying for the new music. While the spinner was on the screen I accidentally hit the USB mode popup when I was going for 'just charge'. It threw it into a tizzy for a bit. I deleted a song I didn't want and ejected it, then threw away the music player, as adding or removing a media file is supposed to trigger a re-scan. I may have had to restart but I don't think I did.. I think I just waited a bit then re-opened the music player, and actually saw the song count increment as it was pulling new data from the media system.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Update: After the music player load icon stopped spinning I checks for the new music and it still wasn't in my artist list. I found it in the list provided by Media Index Refresher and touched all the files that the music player wasn't seeing. Restarted the music player and there they were. So after some patience and some software all is well in music remix land. Thanks for all the input and help everybody!
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 06/19/2013, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
a battery pull always does the trick for me.
Thanks, you really put me on a good track.

I had neither camera nor music nor video app working.
Tracked it down to a corrupted media index since it is common to all these apps.
Media indexer wouldn't solve it. Nor did any number of reboots.
A simple battery pull out worked fine for me too. I suppose it forces efficiently a media indexer refresh.
Zoltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2013, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

I just had the same problem, and this was the only one of the suggested fixes that worked for me.

Now to go through and fix all 12 GB of songs...

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2013, 02:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hi,

the solution that works for me every time so far is to reconnect to the pc, eject again and check the stock music player or the picture viewer, if it is spinning again. If yes, repeat.

I never had to do this reconnect cycle more than 3 times so far. Usually one reconnect/eject cycle is enough.

Regards,
UW
Old 11/08/2013, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
the solution that works for me every time so far is to reconnect to the pc, eject again and check the stock music player or the picture viewer, if it is spinning again. If yes, repeat.

I never had to do this reconnect cycle more than 3 times so far. Usually one reconnect/eject cycle is enough.
That worked! All 12GB of my music showed up!

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0