webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Christmas Pre 3 predicament
Christmas Pre 3 predicament
Like Tree7Likes

Old 12/04/2012, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

So I've got a predicament. My Pre 2 is still kicking but starting to get a little iffy. Between the drops and things I've done to it, I've got to reboot it maybe once a day to keep things working. Headphone jack is not making solid connections and I get "Voice Control" prompts constantly when listening to podcasts in the car via line in.

I still enjoy webOS greatly... almost embarrasingly so. The HTC 8X on verizon has me smitten though. I would love to have it as an xmas present but my upgrade isn't until March and asking for that for full price is just too much!

I did however just run an ebay search and see the Pre 3 on Verizon is below $200 on a number of auctions.... you can see where I'm going with this. What do you think of a Pre 3 on Verizon to replace my aging Pre 2 and holding off on jumping to Windows Phone until my upgrade is up?

Heck... with a Pre 3 I might not even want to use my upgrade. Pretty much I want to know how you verizon users out there are getting by with your unicorn phones?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm on GSM, but still love my Pre3...

Just so you know the 8X (on VZW only) is QI compliant and will work with LG and Nokia charging mats. So if you go that route long term you don't lose inductive charging at least.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I'm on GSM, but still love my Pre3...

Just so you know the 8X (on VZW only) is QI compliant and will work with LG and Nokia charging mats. So if you go that route long term you don't lose inductive charging at least.
Yeah that 8X is kind of a beast if you ask me. If my contract was up for renewal now it would be a no-brainer, but I can't justify the $550 price tag to buy it outright. I never thought I'd be able to get my hands on a Pre 3 but these ones on ebay are still kicking around for very good prices if you ask me, I think under $200 is a slam dunk. Plus if March rolls around and I am still Jones'in for the 8X then I can get upgrade pricing and have an awesome backup phone in the Pre 3

If I compare it with the phones verizon gives you for month-to-month prices in the $200 range it is a joke... Samsung Gusto 2?... LG Extravert?... get outta here! lol

Does the Pre 3 support freetether? That's the only thing I was wondering about for those emergency situations. All my other apps I think would carry over no problem.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Old 12/04/2012, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Does the Pre 3 support freetether? That's the only thing I was wondering about for those emergency situations. All my other apps I think would carry over no problem.
Freetether works fine on my VZW Pre 3.
Old 12/04/2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a pre 3 I will sell you that is only a month old. My company is now providing phones so I never use it. Too bad cuz I love it.
schwasskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah that 8X is kind of a beast if you ask me. If my contract was up for renewal now it would be a no-brainer, but I can't justify the $550 price tag to buy it outright. I never thought I'd be able to get my hands on a Pre 3 but these ones on ebay are still kicking around for very good prices if you ask me, I think under $200 is a slam dunk. Plus if March rolls around and I am still Jones'in for the 8X then I can get upgrade pricing and have an awesome backup phone in the Pre 3

If I compare it with the phones verizon gives you for month-to-month prices in the $200 range it is a joke... Samsung Gusto 2?... LG Extravert?... get outta here! lol

Yup supports freetether as someone else stated, was tethering my TouchPad just yesterday.

The Pre3 is a great phone for the price, we signed a contract with ATT a month before Leo Apothekered the OS or else we would be off contract right now too.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 12/05/2012, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

freeTether works on the pre3, but with one caveat: after closing it or just stopping the wifi service, the phone has to be restarted before you can use freeTether again. The developer has stated that it is a problem with the pre3 firmware. No fix in sight. I really like my pre3 (on verizon) but I'm about to acquire my third unit - they are fragile. On my first one the power switch broke causing the power/restart dialog to constantly flash. My current one has the normal speaker not working and now the volume control is no longer working. so to take a call I have to use a headset or speaker phone at full volume.
Sigh.
warnersoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnersoft View Post
freeTether works on the pre3, but with one caveat: after closing it or just stopping the wifi service, the phone has to be restarted before you can use freeTether again. The developer has stated that it is a problem with the pre3 firmware. No fix in sight. I really like my pre3 (on verizon) but I'm about to acquire my third unit - they are fragile. On my first one the power switch broke causing the power/restart dialog to constantly flash. My current one has the normal speaker not working and now the volume control is no longer working. so to take a call I have to use a headset or speaker phone at full volume.
Sigh.
'swhy I stick to Veer.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am stuck with Verizon at the moment so GSM is a no go, or else I'd be looking at the Veer too cause it's a great deal. This is a tough choice but I might just roll with the Pre 3 and take my chances. I want something different in the $150-$250 range and CDMA is requirement for now.

Old 12/05/2012, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
So I've got a predicament. My Pre 2 is still kicking but starting to get a little iffy. Between the drops and things I've done to it, I've got to reboot it maybe once a day to keep things working. Headphone jack is not making solid connections and I get "Voice Control" prompts constantly when listening to podcasts in the car via line in.

I still enjoy webOS greatly... almost embarrasingly so. The HTC 8X on verizon has me smitten though. I would love to have it as an xmas present but my upgrade isn't until March and asking for that for full price is just too much!

I did however just run an ebay search and see the Pre 3 on Verizon is below $200 on a number of auctions.... you can see where I'm going with this. What do you think of a Pre 3 on Verizon to replace my aging Pre 2 and holding off on jumping to Windows Phone until my upgrade is up?

Heck... with a Pre 3 I might not even want to use my upgrade. Pretty much I want to know how you verizon users out there are getting by with your unicorn phones?
I'm not a Verizon user, but moving from a Pre2 to a Pre 3 was a great upgrade. Everything I like about WebOS, on much better hardware.
Syndiotactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kevets
Old 12/06/2012, 05:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Father Chistmass will bring me an iPhone 5.
I am not an android, and I hated Nokia Lumia 920 when I tried it (once).
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, the Nokia phones... sigh... as much as I want to love them seem kind of... porky. Having a Pre 2, I appreciate something that is not massive. That HTC 8X is sleek and awfully light. Makes me wonder how the battery life is on it, but it's got a great feel.

iPhone 5 just feels so weird for me - it's out of my price range either way but holding the thing with that tall screen it's got it just feels like a hershey bar

For the money, I think I'll stick with my gut and try and score a Pre 3 for <$200 to hold me over until I can get my upgrade in the Spring.

Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/07/2012, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a new (warranty replacement refurb) Pre 2 and a new/unused back up Pre 2 in the box. My Christmas Pre 3 just arrived today.. .

I REALLY like Webos..

Take care, all
Btravelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevets and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 12/27/2012, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Having had the phone for a couple weeks now (I cheated) I'm definitely liking the larger screen and better keyboard. One thing I have been struggling with is the bluetooth streaming. It doesn't seem to support the headset profile with the LG Tone headset I also got for xmas. It's a BT 2.1+ EDR device and it only seems to work for handsfree call handling.

What type of devices are people using to do BT A2DP streaming with Pre 3 and to what success?

Old 12/27/2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have yet to find a device that doesn't work with my Pre3.

So far Moto Rkr S305
A random AudioVox (I think it's audio vox) BT to mini plug receiver (goes to an aux in battery powered for home and mobile use)
A Belkin BT receiver (aux in again but plug in powered for at home use)
Clarion mechless BT Deck
ToothPik BT receiver (BT to FM for mobile)

I listen to podcasts every day so I can say all of these work quite regularly (the ToothPik did break on me and haven't taken it apart to see if it's fixable, doesn't power up any more)

I think that's it for audio...

I have taken calls with the AudioVox and Moto headphones, also the Clarion deck (can't remember if I took any calls with toothpik), and have a BT home phone the Pre3 connects to for calls.
Old 12/27/2012, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

I stream audio through a Motorola S10HD multiple times daily on my ATT Pre3. I've also previously used a Motorola S9HD, which also worked well.
mocarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Streaming to Plantronics Pulsar 509, no worries
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

I got a Verizon Pre3 for Christmas off ebay, replacing my Pre2, and I love it. I've only been using it for a day, but so far I say GO FOR IT!
Barebuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevets likes this.
Old 12/27/2012, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks all. These posts gave me new hope and I unpaired and repaired my LG Tone headset with my Pre3 and alas, audio streaming works! The fast forward/play-pause buttons all work with my favorite podcasting app, guttenpodder! I am beyond thrilled that this is working now. I'm not sure if it did anything, but I did turn off the options for phonebook and messaging access for this device. That's the only change from before. I'll try flipping them back to see if it makes a difference, but just the fact that its working is awesome. This will definitely help make this my primary phone for a while.

woot! Happy new year to all the new Pre3 owners! Cheers.

Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Jimbode like this.
Old 12/28/2012, 06:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't think the phonebook or messaging options matter I know I have phonebook turned on on devices that can't use it.

I did forget to mention that every once in a while I do have to turn off and turn on bluetooth (sometimes even reboot, if a BT device is conflicting with webOS connecting). It does not happen often but it does happen, especially if the wife is paired, or my phone is paired to something else while the car radio is looking for BT device.
Thanked By: kevets

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0