webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Palm Pre 3 - activation, unlocking etc
Palm Pre 3 - activation, unlocking etc

Old 12/04/2012, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

I am from india

I have just purchased a Pre 3 thro Ebay.

The phone was locked / blocked to AT&T.

Thanks to Dogbert's blog - Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones , managed to unlock / unblock the phone after a series of discussions with him.

I had also tried to interact with AT&T thro' Chat but to no avail.

Now I have a series of questions where I need your help...
1. In one of the earlier posts (much earlier (~ 2009 / 2010) there was a post where I could connect my Pre (Plus) and could edit the details of a database of the various service providers - inbuilt data (for internet access / MMS settings etc.

Can anyone give me a link to that thread - Please?
My internet / data connection is apparently not working. i need that to log in to Palm Profile.
Can i log in to Wifi in the initial setup screen?

2. I already have a Pre Plus. BUT the palm profile backup is not working. I know about Homebrew Save / restore and will hence will try to use that.
For that I will have to copy that database on the USB drive to the Pre 3 - right?
Then I load up Preware and install save / restore and then ...hope for the best.!!!
3. Any other tips -?

K
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm not sure what thread you're referring to, but when you try to login to your profile without data, it'll ask you to change your APN settings. (Works for me on Straight Talk here in the US). There is no way to use WiFi to activate it at First Run.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
I'm not sure what thread you're referring to, but when you try to login to your profile without data, it'll ask you to change your APN settings. (Works for me on Straight Talk here in the US). There is no way to use WiFi to activate it at First Run.
There is always a way, look for bypass activation, or devmode, or impostah, etc...

WiFi can be enabled, and one can use all parts of any Palm device without a data plan....
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
There is always a way, look for bypass activation, or devmode, or impostah, etc...

WiFi can be enabled, and one can use all parts of any Palm device without a data plan....
But webOS cloud services only if it's logged in to a Palm Profile, which activation bypass skips over. So no backups or App Catalog until it's logged in.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
But webOS cloud services only if it's logged in to a Palm Profile, which activation bypass skips over. So no backups or App Catalog until it's logged in.
Hence, the reference to impostah, which will let one remove the skipped first use account, then reset the palm profile, then activate a new/used profile....

Works everytime, search forums for step-by-step posts...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Hence, the reference to impostah, which will let one remove the skipped first use account, then reset the palm profile, then activate a new/used profile....

I prefer the "official" way: remove first run flags, and rerun the First Run app (aka Gestures Tutorial).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/06/2012, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

OK.

Sorry to make you all run....

I reason why I could not log in to data was because my service provide here (AirTel) has some problems over extended period and hence I coud not log in.

They have now re-enabled their service and all is well - could log in to Palm profile. My earlier Pre Plus was removed and the Pre 3 details were installed.

My paid Apps were also downloaded (some partially - need to re-download the again..)

Managed to load PreWare thro' stand alone installer.

Data connection is patchy still....

I read in some of the posts that people have taken a ATT phone and have meta-doctored to Europe (unlocked) version.
Is there any advantage?. I have in any case managed to unlock the phone. is Europe App catalogue better?

Kingshukt
Old 12/06/2012, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

App Catalog country is not bound to ROM region. It's bound to your account.
Old 12/09/2012, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Palm account is from my palm Pre-Plus days when I bought an "unlocked" ATT Palm Pre-Plus from E-bay.

Now do I have access to Europe App-Catalogue also on my Pre 3 (It is an ATT Unlocked device) or do I have access to only US App-Catalogue?

If what you are saying is correct, why have some of our fellow members meta-doctored their ATT Pre 3s to Europe Unlocked? Is there any advantage besides the 16 GB US model advantage?

Please help me decide??
Old 12/09/2012, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

All I can say is what ROM you're running does not affect App Catalog. The country is already pre-established when you got your Pre Plus. The European ROM probably has European UI languages, as the other versions are rather limited in the languages they have for UI.
Old 12/09/2012, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

AT&T and EU are on different frequencies.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 03:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
All I can say is what ROM you're running does not affect App Catalog. The country is already pre-established when you got your Pre Plus. The European ROM probably has European UI languages, as the other versions are rather limited in the languages they have for UI.
In short there is nothing earth-shaking for me to considering a Meta-Doctor to EU - unlocked. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
AT&T and EU are on different frequencies.
I know AT&T frequencies and EU frequencies are "slightly" different. We are mainly on 2G at 1900 MHz and 3G at 2100 MHz in India. Both these frequencies are addressed by AT&T / EU. No 4G yet
Old 12/10/2012, 05:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

I had in my 1st post asked for a link to carrier database editing thread / post.

I have found it...:
Modifying WebOS carrier network settings.

Hope this may be of some use to somebody.

Kingshukt
Old 12/23/2012, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes

Quote:
I prefer the "official" way: remove first run flags, and rerun the First Run app (aka Gestures Tutorial).
I searched for step-by-step posts - but did not really find what I want/need.
Can someone please point to such step-by-step post or some Wiki page explaining this ?

Not sure if I understand the "official" way: "remove first run flags, and rerun the First Run app (aka Gestures Tutorial)"
I tried to run the app "Gestures Tutorial" ("Lernprogr. für Gesten" in German) - but this did do not remove the "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" profile.

What I want is to use the Palm (Pre Plus 2.1.0) with Wifi only ! No data plan is available for me (I do not want that).
I even do not want to "activate" my webos profile by inserting a SIM card and sending a SMS text.
I want to enable my profile just using a Wifi connection only. Sure I want to use the app catalog then.

Any help to get there ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
I even do not want to "activate" my webos profile by inserting a SIM card and sending a SMS text.
I want to enable my profile just using a Wifi connection only. Sure I want to use the app catalog then.
well - a short update from my side:
+ I was able to remove the "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" account from my profile using Impostah.
(I just removed it - not sure how to add it back again. Or how to add any other account in my webOS profile.
What is it good for anyhow (besides backup) ?)

+ I did "activate" my webos profile as far as I could. Then I once inserted a SIM card (data usage was off !) and rebooted (Palm Pre Plus 2.1.0) and then magically the app catalog was upgraded to newest version - and with this I was able to use the app catalog to download even more apps from that official app catalog.

=> I'm confused: Why does inserting a SIM card (data usage was off) help with accessing the app catalog ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 02:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Any help to get there ?
To best of my knowledge you cannot activate / Enable your profile thro' WiFi. You have to use data connection (via SIM Card). There is no shortcut / alternate method.

Quote:

=> I'm confused: Why does inserting a SIM card (data usage was off) help with accessing the app catalog ?
Please see my comment above.

I read this (in one of the posts) when I received my locked / blocked device and was searching for answers to unlock / Unblock....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0