webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre3 and Cell broadcasting?
Pre3 and Cell broadcasting?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 12/03/2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

I checked the docs, and searched the forum, but was unable to locate an answer: in the Netherlands, the government is rolling out an alerting services using SMS Cell Broadcasting, aka a cell/antenna would broadcast an SMS to all devices in it's vicinity. Looking at the instructions for other devices at NL Alert | Nederland Veilig (sorry, available in Dutch only) it works in some devices, as an SMS subscription to a channel, and some devices need to get a software update to be able to receive the messages.

Anyone nay idea if the hardware in the Pre3 supports this function, and what sw migh be required to enable it (if not available, yet)?

TIA,
Marc
grotevoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by Jozz, RumoredNow
Old 12/03/2012, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

All I can say is, if it requires additional software, don't count on ever getting it.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have been looking for this too, for exactly the same reason. I live in the same country as the TopicStarter.
I didn't find anything yet, but if there's a way to get this working I'd like to know how.

I found something on the Crackberry website: http://crackberry.com/emergency-broa...ages-explained
and this topic on the forums: http://forums.webosnation.com/off-to...ellphones.html

No idea if WebOS and/or the Pre3 support this.

Last edited by Jozz; 12/03/2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added links
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Interesting idea and a very good question...

I can't find the Cell Broadcasting settings either. They may not be in webOS???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since it's GSM standard, I wonder if it was going to be part of the SIM toolkit (that does nothing on my ATT Pre3)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 12/03/2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Since it's GSM standard, I wonder if it was going to be part of the SIM toolkit (that does nothing on my ATT Pre3)
On Straight Talk, SIM Toolkit tells me "Either there are no SIM services provided by your mobile operator, or there was an error talking to your SIM."

That might be one place to look.

It isn't in Device Info > Settings or Messaging > Add Account. I tried poking around on the site the OP linked and looking at various phones and how they get set up. I could not find the equivalent on Veer. Nor could I make any headway searching Google or this forum.
Old 12/03/2012, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nah, cell broadcast isn't in the SIM Toolkit. It is part of the GSM spec, and it potentially implemented. I am not sure where. Might have to dig for it in the TIL.
Old 12/03/2012, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

what is the SIM Toolkit for? Just curious cuz even on ATT with an ATT Pre3, it does nothing.
Old 12/03/2012, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
what is the SIM Toolkit for? Just curious cuz even on ATT with an ATT Pre3, it does nothing.
It is a feature in GSM where you can create mini-apps on the SIM card. You can use it to expose balance menus, or create SIM card based utilities, such as the Weaver NFC SIM card by BLADOX (BLADOX - Products).

The SIM card has to have a menu in it for the Toolkit app to be of any use. As far as I know, no U.S. based operators use this.
Old 12/03/2012, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ahhh Thank you sir!
Old 12/03/2012, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Nah, cell broadcast isn't in the SIM Toolkit. It is part of the GSM spec, and it potentially implemented. I am not sure where. Might have to dig for it in the TIL.
There are a -lot- of messaging things built into the messaging app that I've never seen actually used in any service .. wouldn't surprise me if it's supported.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't know why I am even following this thread, if we ever adopt it in America my Pre3 will long have been put aside as a keepsake by then.
Old 12/04/2012, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Tnx all for confirming that (out-of-the-box) this very nice feature does not seem to be able to run on the webOS phones.

Now hoping for someone to spot an option for an easy plug-in to the Messaging app ...
grotevoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
There are a -lot- of messaging things built into the messaging app that I've never seen actually used in any service .. wouldn't surprise me if it's supported.
I can't find cell broadcasting options in Messaging App... Doesn't mean it isn't in there. I just haven't seen it.

Quote:
I don't know why I am even following this thread, if we ever adopt it in America my Pre3 will long have been put aside as a keepsake by then.
Same as me most likely. You are following the thread because it is a "new" and interesting problem. Personally I don't like not knowing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotevoet View Post
Tnx all for confirming that (out-of-the-box) this very nice feature does not seem to be able to run on the webOS phones.

Now hoping for someone to spot an option for an easy plug-in to the Messaging app ...
It might take some time. I'm still poking around looking for the answer. Quite possibly it is a "hidden feature" that could be brought forward with more investigation.
Liked by grotevoet likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Same as me most likely. You are following the thread because it is a "new" and interesting problem. Personally I don't like not knowing...
LOL good point, I just get frustrated when there is all this great tech out there and we are so slow to adopt. CDMA and lack of carrier competition doesn't help this, but we still struggle so much with moving the ball down the field in the tech sector.
Old 12/04/2012, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It appears someone is working on this: https://github.com/c4milo/ofono/blob...adcast-api.txt
Old 12/05/2012, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I can't find cell broadcasting options in Messaging App... Doesn't mean it isn't in there. I just haven't seen it.
One of the things that I found interesting while looking through either the messaging app, or the services involved with messaging, is that there's actually a SMS command to recall and replace messages after the fact. I don't think I've ever heard of it actually being implemented by anyone anywhere, but there was at least mention of it in the webOS code.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/05/2012, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cell broadcasting should be under network options, more as a part of phone app than sms app and services. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Palm OS also didn't support cell broadcasting.
Old 12/05/2012, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have found that webos 2.x handles SIM Application toolkit remarkably well. It also handles the USSD responses properly although many smartphones don't. I haven't used it on a carrier that uses Cell Broadcast but I would hope it implements that GSM standard properly. Wish I had thought to ask this question when the webos devices were still supported.
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm going to poke around for this. Looks like the FCC is starting to push implementing this technology with carriers for broadcasting emergency alerts. (I know it is cell broadcast for GSM. Dunno what CDMA technology exists.) It'd be cool to have.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0