webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 frozen with virtual keyboard
Pre 3 frozen with virtual keyboard
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 12/01/2012, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

I downloaded and added the Virtual Keyboard Enabler for Pre 3 onto my device and as soon as I pressed a letter on the keyboard it froze and now the phone will not respond to anything. It's just frozen on the screen with the keyboard attempting to type the letter 's'. How can I fix this? The phone will not power off. What can I do?
robdajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you take out the battery?
After that reboot it. If it doesn't work, you might need to docter it.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you try a hard boot (removing the battery and then reinstalling it)?
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
Did you take out the battery?
After that reboot it. If it doesn't work, you might need to docter it.
Nah. No need to doctor. The guy just needs to do a hard reboot and try again. If the same thing happens, reboot again, then go into Preware and uninstall the patch

Before pulling the battery, try the triple toggle method on the lock switch near the power button (if the Pre3 has one). If that doesn't shut it down, then pull the battery.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

phone died and after charging it now works again - couldn't figure out how to remove battery haha. thank you all for the quick responses and help!
Old 12/02/2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't forget to install the script to stabilize the keyboard
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

The stabilizing script is an .sh file, how do I go about installing that through Quick Install?
Old 12/02/2012, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdajewels View Post
The stabilizing script is an .sh file, how do I go about installing that through Quick Install?
Using quick install in the quick install drop down menu select send file and send it to /media/internal

Next from the linux command line type VKB.sh and press enter
Old 12/02/2012, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Using quick install in the quick install drop down menu select send file and send it to /media/internal

Next from the linux command line type VKB.sh and press enter
I should also mention that he needs to install a copy of wTerm to have access to the Linux command line
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok thank you both. Should I be installing the stabilizing script before or after I install the Virtual Keyboard Enabler? Or does it not matter
Old 12/03/2012, 06:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok thank you both. Should I be installing the stabilizing script before or after I install the Virtual Keyboard Enabler? Or does it not matter
install the VK first
Old 12/03/2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I downloaded and added the Virtual Keyboard Enabler for Pre 3 onto my device and as soon as I pressed a letter on the keyboard it froze and now the phone will not respond to anything. It's just frozen on the screen with the keyboard attempting to type the letter 's'. How can I fix this? The phone will not power off. What can I do?
FWIW, once you install everything (patch and script), you shouldn't have this problem, as often. It will still exist (though for me it wouldn't freeze, it would just reset). So, use the virtual keyboard with this in mind. Hopefully open webOS will allow the developer to stabilize this with out hacking binaries.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just remember to close the keyboard when you don't with it. If you have an app open that can rotate it will crash the keyboard.

Also you can install the global accelerometer patch or use universe browser which has a bittont to lock rotation.
Old 12/04/2012, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Before pulling the battery, try the triple toggle method on the lock switch near the power button (if the Pre3 has one). If that doesn't shut it down, then pull the battery.
Before trying anything, if your device is in a non responsive state press Grey+Sym+R to try to force a reboot. If after a good 30 seconds to a minute the phone does start to reboot, then go with other options including battery pull.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/09/2012, 11:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

anybody can fix the frozen when we rotate the pre3 while VK is openning???
truongtuananhhau1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen screen, hp pre 3, virtual keyboard

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0