webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > I love my Pre3 (Vs Android tablet)
I love my Pre3 (Vs Android tablet)
Like Tree24Likes

Old 12/01/2012, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

After using Pre3 for about a year, I thought it would be good idea to get a tablet for casual browsing and videos, because larger screen size would be better for these applications. I chose Android because Android tablets are so widely available in market nowadays and in great variety. I thought Android should be ok to use, if not very good, because millions are using it around the world. I briefly tried my hands on Android previously once when I when I booted my old HTC Tilt phone on Android, but did not use it seriously enough to get a hang of Android. So I bought a 7 inch tablet having decent enough specs and having ICS installed on it.

After using this tablet for a while, now I know for sure why many of you are fans of WebOS. I LOVE MY PRE3 much more than I realized previously.

Compared to Android, WebOS has a much much refined interface. Android is still struggling with Task Switching and killing, whereas WebOS cards does it as superbly as it can be. More:

I love hardware keyboard of Pre3. Eventhough it is tiny, I preferred to type this post on Pre3 rather than typing it out on tablet's not-so-good touch keyboard.

Touch interface of WebOS is much more refined compared to Android. Now they are talking about "butter like" smoothness in Jelly Bean, but I find it already in Pre3.

There is nothing like JustType in INS so locating some app or contact is not as easy.

Only the Phone app is not so smooth and snappy in Pre3.*

On second thoughts I think I would love to explore installing WebOS over ICS on my Android tablet, or even buy a Touchpad.

Those like me who got ignorant of virtues of WebOS, you are in for a bumpy ride in the world outside of WebOS.
jmdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, vgg, Rnp and 5 others like this.
Thanked by Jozz, rkous, Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 12/01/2012, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Never used a pre3 or android tablet so can't comment too much. But yeah webos pretty good
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 03:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have touched Android devices, love my Pre3, and even with CM9 on 3 TouchPads between 2 of us, daily use boots to webOS... CM is only for a few apps we don't really need but are fun to have since we have the ability (like watching Sunday ticket while sitting in front of the TV, etc)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Webos was developed with the lessons Palm had learned from it's PalmOS roots. The new OS needed to truly multitask and that's exactly what they created. Just like iOS and Android, multitasking was an afterthought in PalmOS and whenever I pick up a device by Apple or the Android clan, I can't help but feel transported back in time to when I had my old Palm TX or Tungsten. Heck it even feels like my old Palm III. I really feel WebOS has got the next generation OS. It's too bad it can't seem to get any traction in the market.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by rkous likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
After using Pre3 for about a year, I thought it would be good idea to get a tablet for casual browsing and videos, because larger screen size would be better for these applications. I chose Android because Android tablets are so widely available in market nowadays and in great variety. I thought Android should be ok to use, if not very good, because millions are using it around the world. I briefly tried my hands on Android previously once when I when I booted my old HTC Tilt phone on Android, but did not use it seriously enough to get a hang of Android. So I bought a 7 inch tablet having decent enough specs and having ICS installed on it.

After using this tablet for a while, now I know for sure why many of you are fans of WebOS. I LOVE MY PRE3 much more than I realized previously.

Compared to Android, WebOS has a much much refined interface. Android is still struggling with Task Switching and killing, whereas WebOS cards does it as superbly as it can be. More:

I love hardware keyboard of Pre3. Eventhough it is tiny, I preferred to type this post on Pre3 rather than typing it out on tablet's not-so-good touch keyboard.

Touch interface of WebOS is much more refined compared to Android. Now they are talking about "butter like" smoothness in Jelly Bean, but I find it already in Pre3.

There is nothing like JustType in INS so locating some app or contact is not as easy.

Only the Phone app is not so smooth and snappy in Pre3.*

On second thoughts I think I would love to explore installing WebOS over ICS on my Android tablet, or even buy a Touchpad.

Those like me who got ignorant of virtues of WebOS, you are in for a bumpy ride in the world outside of WebOS.
Interesting perspective. I've had the Pre-, Veer, Pre3, TouchPad, CM7, CM9, and now CM10. I currently use a SGS3 for my daily phone. I will agree that tablet versions of Android still feel clunky compared to webOS. I also agree on typing on a phone versus typing on a tablet. I prefer the phone as well, but I've really taken to SwiftKey3 (VKB) and it's "magical" (for lack of a better word) auto-predict. I'm not sure if you had a typo, but can you clarify the above highlighted text?

All I have to do is click on the "Google", a search bar opens up and if I'm looking for a contact, start typing it in and it appears. The same goes for apps, start typing the app name and they show up.

FYI it is strongly recommended to not use "task-killers" anymore as unexpectedly killing an app may cause it to corrupt and not work properly.

As for installing webOS over your Android tablet, that may be possible in the future, but I don't think it's very feasible at the moment. You may want to consider buying a TouchPad, people are selling them all the time, and for relatively cheap. Take a look in the Marketplace Forum here on this site, if you're interested. We enforce fairly rigid rules to protect our members against fraud, and feel free to ask around before you make any commitment.

Upgrading from ICS to JB on my SGS3....aside from a few new "features" I didn't notice the "butter" very much at all, tbh. Mind you, it's a pretty snappy phone straight out of the box.
Old 12/01/2012, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use a BB Playbook with a Pre 3. The PB is closer to webOS than anything else (though I wish I could wake up the pre by swiping up from the bottom of the screen, and delete mail on the PB by swping it.)

The PB is an underestimated little tablet. I have had one for a year, at each OS revision it gets better, and every time I think of replacing it with something shinier and with more pixels I get hung up - HDMI out is missing, or BBC iPlayer doesn't work properly, and I won't have the convenience of the magnetic charge plug which is almost (but not quite) as good as wireless charging.

It is also nothing like a Blackberry phone. It is reliable, consistent, easy to configure and works nicely with either BT or mobile hotspot from the Pre.
kupfernigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jmdesai
Old 12/01/2012, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I started with webOS in April, 2012, by buying and activating a used GSM unlocked Pre 2. Love the phone, the physical QWERTY, the ease and openness of modding the device and the UI is peerless. I'm definitely a convert on that experience alone.

A couple months later I purchased a new Acer Iconia A200 10" tablet after the release of the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. I'd long wanted a tablet, it was on sale and, heck, all the other kids are snorting ICS so I thought I'd give it a try too. Like the OP I found it less than desirable. I've used android in the past (1.5 Donut on a Samsung smart phone), but webOS had spoiled me that quick.

Along the way I got a deal on two Veers. One black, one Panda. Sold one, kept one. Panda Veer is cute as can be (makes the girls squeeeee when they see it) and it's a plucky little performer. Now that's my daily. I wouldn't give up my Veer for anything short of BNIB webOS phone hardware hot off the assembly line.

I bought a used Treo Pro so I could relive some of that Windows Mobile Pocket PC glory from the old days. Thought it would be cool to play with. Never found much time to do so. webOS was always calling me. I traded that recently to a member for a spare Pre 2. Need moar webOS.

Then there was the (shame and humiliation of) the iPhone 3GS. Blame rampant consumerism, blame insatiable curiosity, blame deal-hunter-itis. It was a pristine, less than one year old phone at a killer price. I thought I'd try it and see what all the hype is about. I used it for maybe two weeks. It was a painful experience. I just don't get the iPhone mystique. Different strokes and all that... I yanked the SIM and never put it back in. I'm waiting for the mythical untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 on 3GS and then I'll sell it...

I got a BNIB TouchPad from the Marketplace Forum of webOS Nation about two months ago. Gave the ICS tablet to the GF and I don't miss it one bit. I love TouchPad. I don't want a PlayBook anymore. I have no desire to dual boot into Cyanogen Mod. Why settle? Pile on the webOS higher and deeper, I say...

Sure there are shortcomings. Sure there is no support outside of this community. Yes the hardware is aging more every day. It just works intuitively and does what I need. It's fun and relatively easy to mod. It makes my day better every day.

Do it, jmdesai, get a TouchPad... If you are like me you will only regret waiting and wasting time...

My name is Robert and I'm a webOS-aholic.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2

Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/01/2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jmdesai, Jozz, rkous and 3 others like this.
Old 12/01/2012, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
Webos was developed with the lessons Palm had learned from it's PalmOS roots. The new OS needed to truly multitask and that's exactly what they created. Just like iOS and Android, multitasking was an afterthought in PalmOS and whenever I pick up a device by Apple or the Android clan, I can't help but feel transported back in time to when I had my old Palm TX or Tungsten. Heck it even feels like my old Palm III. I really feel WebOS has got the next generation OS. It's too bad it can't seem to get any traction in the market.
It is really a pity that HP could not sustain WebOS devices in market long enough for users to get a hang of it. I suspect that most users just go by the marketing hype and many are not really very demanding of their devices.
Old 12/02/2012, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Interesting perspective. I've had the Pre-, Veer, Pre3, TouchPad, CM7, CM9, and now CM10. I currently use a SGS3 for my daily phone. I will agree that tablet versions of Android still feel clunky compared to webOS. I also agree on typing on a phone versus typing on a tablet. I prefer the phone as well, but I've really taken to SwiftKey3 (VKB) and it's "magical" (for lack of a better word) auto-predict. I'm not sure if you had a typo, but can you clarify the above highlighted text?

All I have to do is click on the "Google", a search bar opens up and if I'm looking for a contact, start typing it in and it appears. The same goes for apps, start typing the app name and they show up.

Oh..sorry that was a typo. It should have been ICS and not INS.

And thanks for enlightening me about "Search bar". It was stupid of me not to try it. I am still in the learning mode on Android.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 12/03/2012, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
True that it's similar, but in webOS, as long as you're in card view, you only need to type, no clicking on anything first. Plus, you get the nice tie-ins, like creating emails, texts, memos, calendar entries, etc. without needing to go into the app first. Just type and select the action. I don't think Android takes it this far.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/03/2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
True that it's similar, but in webOS, as long as you're in card view, you only need to type, no clicking on anything first. Plus, you get the nice tie-ins, like creating emails, texts, memos, calendar entries, etc. without needing to go into the app first. Just type and select the action. I don't think Android takes it this far.
You seriously created an email from the JustType bar? I know that it was possible but I never used JustType for anything except for searching. I like to be able to see and read over the whole thing before I actually send it. Clicking on that is no more to me than opening up the keyboard, lol.
Old 12/03/2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

You could still read the whole thing before sending, because it will paste it into an e-mail, but you still need to select recipient and enter subject.

I use Just Type to create calendar entries probably once a week.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Old 12/03/2012, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rnp

Just Type is fantastic. I Tweet, create e-mails, memos, edit short texts before paste in any apps...

Now, I cannot live without Just Type.

Best Regards...
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 12/03/2012, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Just Type is fantastic. I Tweet, create e-mails, memos, edit short texts before paste in any apps...

Now, I cannot live without Just Type.

Best Regards...
I'm more in the habit of using just type to bring up the contact I want to text or e-mail, then select the SMS icon or e-mail address to start the e-mail. I use it so often, when I'm not paying attention I will start typing a contact into an open SMS convo... did it to my wife recently, she got a text that started with "wife" because I didn't catch myself.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/03/2012, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I'm more in the habit of using just type to bring up the contact I want to text or e-mail, then select the SMS icon or e-mail address to start the e-mail. I use it so often, when I'm not paying attention I will start typing a contact into an open SMS convo... did it to my wife recently, she got a text that started with "wife" because I didn't catch myself.
Me too. I think it way faster to do the contact first
Old 12/04/2012, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You seriously created an email from the JustType bar? I know that it was possible but I never used JustType for anything except for searching. I like to be able to see and read over the whole thing before I actually send it. Clicking on that is no more to me than opening up the keyboard, lol.
Usually I'll create either short emails or I'll start typing it and proof-read it before sending. Once you click email, it opens the message up in email and let's you edit recipients and subject. Just a little faster than going into the email app and then selecting create new email. It's things like that that make going to other devices very backwards to me.
Old 12/04/2012, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't think I would ever use just type to compose anything since auto correct does not work with just type.
Old 12/04/2012, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

never even thought of that
Old 12/11/2012, 05:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Since my 1st post (#1) there has been lot of pleasant development.

My brother sent me a Touchpad since he was not using it much. This TP was recently sent by his friend in USA since he was not using it much.

So I had a real chance to compare performance of my Android Tab with TP. And so I did it with TP booted on WebOS as well as TP booted on ICS.

I find that TP is as smooth as butter and snappy as well in both OS, WebOS as well as ICS.

My Android tab is also having almost similar basic specifications. It is 7 inch screen size compared to 9.7 inch for TP. But screen resolution is same 1024x600. It has same 1GB RAM, 8GB storage memory (similar to my Pre3), 1.2GHz CPU (TP and Pre3 has 1.2 GHz duel core)

So the only fundamental difference is Dual core Vs Single core. Will this make the device snappy and interface as smooth as "butter"? Or that TP's hardware is better tuned and optimized?
Old 12/11/2012, 06:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Pre3 has a 1.4 single core and 512 MB RAM (though it's less since it's shared).
Thanked By: jmdesai

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0