webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HP\Palm Backup Not Working?????
HP\Palm Backup Not Working?????
Like Tree4Likes

Old 11/24/2012, 07:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

is it possible backup in EU is still working and US is failing?

How can i provide you with info you need, why my backups are still working on Pre2/3 every day without any break (seen in impostah since October).
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 11:40 AM   #42 (permalink)

Backups may be generated each day, but may not necessarily be uploaded. Check the Backups app for the last successful backup time.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 02:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

I'm also having problems with accessing my profile data after doctoring my sprint franken pre 2. Had to bypass activation after the first use app failed to get profile data .

According to Impostah all of my app catalog data has loaded to the phone, however none of my accounts have loaded, including the HPWebos which seems to be the problem.

When running GMMan's logging tool I get "Something unexprected happened: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel." after clicking "Log In to Backups". I get this error both on my franken2 and my touchpad, however my touchpad shows that its last backup was this morning just after midnight.

I'm available to experiment if needed.

EDIT:

I just tried to disable backups which results in the error message: "You need an internet connection to turn off automatic backup." I have an internet connection. Something goofy is going on.

Hans

Last edited by hans109h; 11/24/2012 at 03:03 PM.
hans109h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 03:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

Here is the sanitized log file from PalmBackupTester:

Code:
Starting backup session with roadrunner-linux
Getting prefs from roadrunner-linux
Getting auth details for device roadrunner-linux
Updating token
Getting backup auth token for device roadrunner-linux
Downloading string from https://sta.palmws.com/storageauth?e...01234567890123
Uncaught app exception: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
It seems the palmws server is throwing the error back to the phone.

Also, my phone recently tripped a reset, and it looked like it shut down in the middle of Luna loading. Several applications, both homebrew and catalog, acted as if they launched for the first time.
Old 11/24/2012, 05:12 PM   #45 (permalink)

Whoops, forgot that I installed webOS root certificates on my machine. Find updated version at same link.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 11/24/2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11/24/2012, 05:13 PM   #46 (permalink)

How should we notify HP of this problem? I admit that I couldn't find any link to support email, etc after exploring HP's various sites.
Old 11/24/2012, 05:19 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
How should we notify HP of this problem? I admit that I couldn't find any link to support email, etc after exploring HP's various sites.

Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked

You have to keep clicking through support to get your model, and then use the support services tab
Thanked By: davidtm
Old 11/24/2012, 05:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

Done. Here's what I sent; hopefully it gets to someone who can help!

This Palm-Pre 2 has failed to backup through Backup function since 11/19, after doing so daily for 1 year since purchase. Others have experienced this problem, and we wonder if something has been changed on palmws server. According to a guru on the webosnation forums: "I tried getting a backup token with your auth details, but for whatever reason the server tells me it requires HTTP authentication. I believe that's the same thing your device is seeing. This is definitely a server side problem. I'm not sure what you can do about it at this point. Your auth token is fine, but the storage server refuses to recognize the generated token." Thanks for looking into this!

(I hope you don't mind the anonymous quote, GMMan)
Old 11/24/2012, 10:44 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Whoops, forgot that I installed webOS root certificates on my machine. Find updated version at same link.

Still getting the SSL/TLS exception.

Hans
Old 11/24/2012, 11:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

I would say the only way to solve the exception is either I add code to bypass SSL certificate validation or you install the root certificates for the server on your computer. Doing the former is very insecure, so that leaves the latter. I'm not sure if I can include it here, but if you pull it off from your device or Doctor from the path /etc/ssl/certs/{appsigning-bundle.crt, pubsubsigning-bundle.crt} and install them by opening the certificate and click on install, after that the app should get past the exception.
Old 11/24/2012, 11:30 PM   #51 (permalink)

I was just researching how to install the certs but couldn't find the location. I will pull them and give it a go in the next hour.

Thanks.
Old 11/25/2012, 12:32 AM   #52 (permalink)

I installed the certs, but still no dice, same SSL error.

I'm at a stand still.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:00 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
I would say the only way to solve the exception is either I add code to bypass SSL certificate validation or you install the root certificates for the server on your computer. Doing the former is very insecure, so that leaves the latter. I'm not sure if I can include it here, but if you pull it off from your device or Doctor from the path /etc/ssl/certs/{appsigning-bundle.crt, pubsubsigning-bundle.crt} and install them by opening the certificate and click on install, after that the app should get past the exception.
PalmBackUpTester log - Pastebin.com

After installing the appsigning-bundle.crt and pubsubsigning-bundle.crt certs, the log caught the download strings. It still seems that the server is throwing a HTTP 401 error.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:11 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethron View Post
PalmBackUpTester log - Pastebin.com

After installing the appsigning-bundle.crt and pubsubsigning-bundle.crt certs, the log caught the download strings. It still seems that the server is throwing a HTTP 401 error.
Where is that log information stored?

Hans
Old 11/25/2012, 01:19 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans109h View Post
Where is that log information stored?

Hans
If you are running PalmBackupTester from the dropbox link that GMMan provided, the log ought to be in the same directory as RunMeHere named PalmBackupTester.log
Old 11/25/2012, 01:23 AM   #56 (permalink)

I think I just fell on my head.

Thanks.

Hans

EDIT: I didn't install the certs correctly at first, figured that out from the log file, got them installed correctly now and have the same HTTP Status 401 as sethron.

Last edited by hans109h; 11/25/2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:47 AM   #57 (permalink)

I plugged my touchpad in and ran the webOS Backup Gizmo, and voola, got to my data. I think that should give a pretty good idea where the issue lies.

Thank for this tool GMMan!
Old 11/25/2012, 01:52 AM   #58 (permalink)

Definitely server side problem. Maybe there's a cutoff date for backups? Could everyone list when they first and most recently logged into Palm Profile with their device?
Old 11/25/2012, 01:58 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Definitely server side problem. Maybe there's a cutoff date for backups? Could everyone list when they first and most recently logged into Palm Profile with their device?

Hopefully the server issue can be resolved soon.

When you say logged in, I assume you mean an actual passing of credentials, not a successful backup.

First, summer of the original palm pre release....most recently was probably this past August, as I think I doctored then.

Hans
Old 11/25/2012, 02:43 AM   #60 (permalink)

When I say first I mean at the time of turning the phone on for the first time. The device that is having trouble only.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0