webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 Battery Wont Charge
Pre 3 Battery Wont Charge
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vasekvi

Old 11/19/2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've searched a ton and all i could find is threads about poor battery life. This is not the issue i am having.

My issue is this:

For a while, my phone would charge very finicky. I would have to wiggle the plug on the phone to get it to charge. The strange thing is it was also finicky with the touchstone. Just now my phones seems to not want to charge no matter what i do. I removed the battery, wiggled everything, tried different chargers. I cant figure it out.

IS there some internal connection that potentially could come loose that would cause both the touchstone charging and the plug not to work? Something that if the plug was wiggled could make the connection?

I've also noticed that the battery would not hold a charge or charge very slowly recently. And also that it would get very hot on the touchstone when i would get it to charge. Could my battery have completely died?

It was just working fine last night.

Please help. I'm thinking of buying a new battery but i don't want to if that's not my problem.
Old 11/20/2012, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

anyone have an idea? I am phone-less until i figure this out.
Old 11/20/2012, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Do you have Dr. Battery data to go with observations?

For example you state "the battery would not hold a charge or charge very slowly recently." Is that confirmed by Dr. Battery? What does Dr. Battery report about Health? (I know you can't calibrate on Pre 3)

You might try some alcohol wipe pads and clean all the contacts on the battery and in the battery seating socket.

Also check this thread by somline: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ry-health.html
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

I didnt think to check Dr. Battery before. I should have.... But now i cant because i cant charge it to see.

I ordered a Mugen 1400 battery for the hell of it. I'm hoping it's just the battery that is **** and not the phone.

I'll try cleaning the contacts but from looking at it, they dont seem to be dirty or anything.

One thing i have noticed is when it is plugged in and i shake the phone i hear a rattling sound and sometimes the dead battery icon will come on like it has begun to charge but then it will be replaced with the plug icon shortly after. I cant tell what the problem is. A loose connection? Dead battery?
Old 11/20/2012, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it turns out to be the battery, maybe the chip that controls charging? Just a thought.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ya, that could be. I actually just got it miraculously to start charging. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. It's just like if i wiggle this, and remove that battery 7and a half times, then if i give it 3 shakes, it might start charging.

No form of troubleshooting is leading me anywhere.

If i do get it to boot, i'll run Dr. Battery and report.
Old 11/20/2012, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Battery is showing 80% health at 975.

It is just barely charging at 100 and if i move it even the slightest bit it stops charging and then starts again.

I don't get what isnt making a connection...
Old 11/20/2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well for your TS issue, is could be the back plate.... I've had to pop my back off a few times in recent weeks and one time I didn't realize it wasn't snapped on securely so it would charge at all. It appeared snapped down, but when I pushed on one corner I heard a few clicks

The plug charging issue, sounds like a USB port issue, but could be something worse in the overall battery tray area messing both up
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/20/2012, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Rattling is definitely not good.

Might be time for an exploratory.

As a side note: I'm a convert to Mugen and think that is a good move in its own right...
Thanked By: docjj
Old 11/20/2012, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's a very difficult issue to pinpoint. i"m just gonna let it sit there and charge as long as i can since it is charging now.
Old 11/20/2012, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Rattling is definitely not good.

Might be time for an exploratory.

As a side note: I'm a convert to Mugen and think that is a good move in its own right...
I've done a franken pre 2 conversion but i'm a little nervous taking apart my pre 3.

Is it very difficult compared?

Also, on a side note, i think the rattling was just the vibrate switch.
Old 11/20/2012, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
I've done a franken pre 2 conversion but i'm a little nervous taking apart my pre 3.

Is it very difficult compared?

Also, on a side note, i think the rattling was just the vibrate switch.
You're ahead of me... I've not done a disassemble on any webOS hardware, but I know it's coming... Between the Veer and the TouchPad - one of them will need a battery replacement sometime.

You'll have to be the judge of if and when.... Meantime at least you have it charging and can consult Dr. Battery for more clues.
Old 11/21/2012, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've noticed about a year ago my phone wouldn't charge all the way overnight either on USB or Touchstone because the phone got really warm. Once the phone gets into the higher 40 degree range the charge rate goes down I suppose to protect it thermally. Use Govnah to see what the charge voltage is doing in relation to temperature. I finally just doctored my phone to get the OS fresh on it and then it was fine, but before that when I was having charging issues I had to limit processor clock speed to 300MHz just to get it to charge fully.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/21/2012, 02:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hmmmm. Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a fresh doctor. I haven't done it in a long time on my pre 3.

Might do that one of these days.
Old 11/21/2012, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
Hmmmm. Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a fresh doctor. I haven't done it in a long time on my pre 3.

Might do that one of these days.
This probably won't fix your issue.... but just some info to consider.

I had a weird SMS delay start randomly on my Pre3, SIM into other webOS devices, I couldn't duplicate. SIM back into Pre3 kept doing it. I didn't doctor, I erased apps/profile made a quick extra profile, SMS seemed to be better. Erased apps and profile again, logged back into my 3 year old profile, so far 24 hours later, device has been great, no SMS issue, no doctor.

I know it is completely unrelated to your issue, but just thought it was odd that this appears to have fixed my issue thankfully (carrying two phones is a pain).
Old 11/22/2012, 02:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hmm. Thanks.
Old 11/23/2012, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

As of right now, the profile wipe has continued to fix the issue
Old 11/25/2012, 12:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

I should probably just do a doctor anyway. a fresh install is always nice.
Old 11/27/2012, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah I was trying to avoid the doctor if I could (gigs of stuff to backup, you know just in case)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0