webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Conversion question
Conversion question
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/19/2012, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have me a Pre2, which succeeded a Pre+ which succeeded a 680. I have recently acquired a Pre3, and that's where the question arises.

Having acquired (somewhere) a notion that it could not be on the same profile as the Pre2, I created a new Palm profile for it. Now I see that I get a less-than-useful calendar synch, and I suspect that the different profiles may be the cause.

Question 1: Can the Pre2 and Pre3 be on the same profile? I may use one or the other, depending on where I travel (the wifi hotspot is a handy thing to have on the Pre2, ain't on the Pre3).

Question 2: If so, do I erase the apps and data (or do a full erase?) on the Pre3 then, when it it revived, set it up with the Pre2's profile?

MANY thanks for any help.
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. No, only one phone may be on a webOS Account at a time.
2. Not sure how downgrading is handled. Someone here may know.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: grankin
Old 11/19/2012, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Thank you. Just to be totally clear: only one phone will have a SIM card in it at any given time and able to 'see' the outside world. In that case, would each device be allowed to work off a single WebOS account? Or does the WebOS account identify the device by another means?
Old 11/19/2012, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Each webOS Account can only accept one phone, and this check is done when you register a device. SIM is irrelevant. Devices are identified by IMEI or nduid, and a token set.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 11/19/2012, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Each webOS Account can only accept one phone, and this check is done when you register a device. SIM is irrelevant. Devices are identified by IMEI or nduid, and a token set.
Bugger. Is what I was afraid of. So no Pre3 on my Pre2's account, then and, however I determined to do this in the beginning when firing up the 3, it was the right way.

Which raises an interesting question: I have a second Pre2, bought as a backup in case I do something stupid with the original. As it will have different device identifiers, it will apparently NOT be usable as a true backup and a device, once lost or stolen, takes its record with it?

Double bugger.
Old 11/19/2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin View Post
Bugger. Is what I was afraid of. So no Pre3 on my Pre2's account, then and, however I determined to do this in the beginning when firing up the 3, it was the right way.

Which raises an interesting question: I have a second Pre2, bought as a backup in case I do something stupid with the original. As it will have different device identifiers, it will apparently NOT be usable as a true backup and a device, once lost or stolen, takes its record with it?

Double bugger.
I think you're misinterpreting what was said. To clear things up, you can use your profile on any device. However, at any given time, you can only have 1 device active. So, you can use your old Pre2 profile with your Pre3, just you can't use the Pre2 with the same profile at the same time. Same goes with having a back-up device.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a second Pre2, bought as a backup in case I do something stupid with the original. As it will have different device identifiers, it will apparently NOT be usable as a true backup and a device, once lost or stolen, takes its record with it?
If you register that Pre2, it'll bump off your original Pre2. You'll get backup restored to the new phone, though some data will still be left behind (such as game saves, as they tend to be in their app directories and app data directories rather than the app database, and also any files you've put in the USB partition). If you lose one phone, log into your profile online, select device options for the phone, and click "I lost my phone". That phone will be wiped, and you can add your other phone and backups should carry over.
Old 11/19/2012, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

What are you using to sync your calendar?

I have my google calendar syncing between Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad currently with no problem. The Veer is on a different profile than the Pre3 and TouchPad. The Veer has been my daily driver for about two weeks, and no problem with calendar syncing. Your profile shouldn't be the issue with your calendar.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
What are you using to sync your calendar?

I have my google calendar syncing between Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad currently with no problem. The Veer is on a different profile than the Pre3 and TouchPad. The Veer has been my daily driver for about two weeks, and no problem with calendar syncing. Your profile shouldn't be the issue with your calendar.
I'm using the google calendar and contacts, and it (for the most part) works seamlessly, showed up on the Pre3's different profile quite nicely. True, there are a few glitches with synching calendars, most observed when travelling overseas and using a foreign SIM card and generally showing up as duplicate entries, but that all can be lived with. Still, I miss the Palm Desktop.

While I like the Pre3's larger keyboard, larger screen and faster processor, I think I am done playing with it and will put it on the market soon (it is in virtually new condition). I put the SIM card back in it Sunday evening, fiddled with it, then went back to the Pre2 today (I hadn't gotten the two set up with the same apps).

This afternoon I got a SMS and an email from AT&T; it seems they spotted the Pre3, saw it as a smartphone, and unilaterally switched me to a data plan appropriate to it. As I then had the Pre3 de-SIMed and de-powered, I told AT&T that I was not using it, had gone back to my 'old' phone, and they switched me back to what I'd had previously.

Frankly, an expensive data plan is not on my To Do list. Which is why the Pre3 will go on the market and why I will not be buying an Android device. Once one sees what cellphone service (voice, SMS, data) cost abroad, the very notion of paying into AT&T's coffers at rates that would be shockingly noncompetitive almost everywhere else in the world does not fill me with enthusiasm. So I, like Homie the Clown, don't play dat.
Old 11/20/2012, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Unless you renew your contract, they can't do that. Just need to fight them on that.
Old 11/20/2012, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
Unless you renew your contract, they can't do that. Just need to fight them on that.
My contract expired long ago, so they can have their evil way of me when the whim strikes them.

I take your point, though. When we bought our daughter a Centro, they demanded that we also take on a data plan. I told them they had to waive it, or I'd take all three lines to their competition. After a great deal of huffing and puffing, they relented.

A bassman, eh? I play a 35-y-o Alembic Series I short scale. Strictly blues.
Old 11/20/2012, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Funny my Pre3 shows up as a dumb phone in my profile since it was never released... they must have still put the IMEI's in their system.

AT&T recognizes my Veers, but both Pre3 and Pre2 show up as dumb phones (at least in the online profile)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/20/2012, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny my Pre3 shows up as a dumb phone in my profile since it was never released... they must have still put the IMEI's in their system.

AT&T recognizes my Veers, but both Pre3 and Pre2 show up as dumb phones (at least in the online profile)

I suspect that you may be right, that the Pre3's IMEI has been put into their system as a smart phone. How else would they have detected the different device so quickly and responded the way they did?

When I "talked" to their support guy on chat, he wanted the IMEI of my Pre2, after he accepted my statement that I had merely tried out a Pre3 and had reverted to my old phone (and cancelled the expensive data plan). I didn't provide the IMEI, and don't think I want to risk upgrading their information.
Old 11/20/2012, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Crazy stuff, but makes sense, if VZW hadn't added the data to their systems none of the VZW Pre3's would have activated.

Sad to know that these devices were so close to launch.
Old 11/20/2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
My contract expired long ago, so they can have their evil way of me when the whim strikes them.

I take your point, though. When we bought our daughter a Centro, they demanded that we also take on a data plan. I told them they had to waive it, or I'd take all three lines to their competition. After a great deal of huffing and puffing, they relented.

A bassman, eh? I play a 35-y-o Alembic Series I short scale. Strictly blues.
When I activated my Centro, they never said anything. I was using my old dumbphone MediaNet plan w/ 1MB of data, with my account having identified the Centro. I would have probably would have been fine with that plan when I got my Pixi, except I needed to go on contract to afford it so that vanished.

I got three loves. An early 00's Mexican J-Bass I defretted and a Hofner 500/1 '59 Reissue. I also got a 40's Kay Bass. As you can see, I'm all over the place.
Old 11/20/2012, 11:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I suspect that you may be right, that the Pre3's IMEI has been put into their system as a smart phone. How else would they have detected the different device so quickly and responded the way they did?

When I "talked" to their support guy on chat, he wanted the IMEI of my Pre2, after he accepted my statement that I had merely tried out a Pre3 and had reverted to my old phone (and cancelled the expensive data plan). I didn't provide the IMEI, and don't think I want to risk upgrading their information.
Spent some time 'talking' to the tech person, seeking info on their records on the Pre3. The techie had no clue about it, said it wasn't in their system at all. Then did some digging, found (what we sorta knew already) that it was, indeed, deemed to be a smartphone with a mandatory data plan.

Data plans come in $20, $30 and $50 per month plans. The former's good for 300 MB, the middle's good for 3 GB, the latter for 5 GB.

So I had a look at the history of my data usage. Month after month I used about half (or less) of the 300 MB plan - but one month, had I been on the $20 plan, I would have run up $60 in overages. So the non-smart-phone $10/month unlimited plan is a pretty good deal IF one uses a bunch; otherwise I was paying about the same per unit for data as the smallest smartphone plan would cost.

So here's the dilemma: double my monthly data bill and use the Pre3, or stick with what I've got. Dither, dither, dither ...
Old 11/21/2012, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Do you have any other lines on your plan? I think that is the new shared data usage... I pay $20 for 2gigs, but last I looked shared data would cost us more based on our usage.
Old 11/21/2012, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have any other lines on your plan? I think that is the new shared data usage... I pay $20 for 2gigs, but last I looked shared data would cost us more based on our usage.
We have three lines. Daughter's has the data plan waived (otherwise would have been mandatory; I threatened to jump ship and they relented) and she uses SMS a lot, wife's is hardly ever used and rarely charged, so the data is mine alone. The Pre2 is not deemed a smartphone, so it gets the $10/month unlimited deal, though I rarely use even 200 MB. Most surfing I do with it is via wifi. Yes, I am a cheap b*st*rd .
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
I think you're misinterpreting what was said. To clear things up, you can use your profile on any device. However, at any given time, you can only have 1 device active. So, you can use your old Pre2 profile with your Pre3, just you can't use the Pre2 with the same profile at the same time. Same goes with having a back-up device.
I think I've got it, just to be sure: One device at a time is active. I cannot have two "live" at the same time, for example one @ home and the other @ work. When one device gets the SIM card inserted, then that's the one that links to the profile. The one without the SIM card cannot link to the profile. I only have one account with a single SIM card, as it happens.
Old 12/01/2012, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I always thought there's only a downgrade issue if you go from 2.x.x to a 1.4.x profile.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0