webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 boot and boot and boot... Please help!
Pre 3 boot and boot and boot... Please help!

Old 11/08/2012, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Yesterday evening I turned my Pre 3 off and today morning I want to turn it on... But it stucks on the HP booting logo. It also glows but nothing either is happend.

My Pre 3:
webos 2.2.4
several Patches and Preware
no overclocking!

I've tried to remove the battery, but that doesn't help..
Please help me, I don't want to doctore it
malte123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

First, are you waiting long enough to boot? What patches have you installed? Did you do anything prior to shutting it down?
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
First, are you waiting long enough to boot? What patches have you installed? Did you do anything prior to shutting it down?
Yes, I've wait long enough.. 7-10 min I think!?
Many patches including Systems Behavior.. And I have installed the youtube app from my palm pre, yesterday evening!?
Old 11/08/2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, sounds like something is crashing Luna while it's booting. I don't know if the old youTube app is compatible with 2.x, and if it isn't that's one place to look at. If you're good at commandline, you should be able to novaterm in and delete it to see if it boots afterwards. Which version of Systems Behavior did you install?
Old 11/08/2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, sounds like something is crashing Luna while it's booting. I don't know if the old youTube app is compatible with 2.x, and if it isn't that's one place to look at. If you're good at commandline, you should be able to novaterm in and delete it to see if it boots afterwards. Which version of Systems Behavior did you install?
So now I think the Youtube App is not compatible with 2.2.4 Because I have no skills in coding/Development I don't know what to do now! The Version of Systems behavior must be the latest..

What can I do now?
Old 11/08/2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have been using the webOS 2.1.0 YouTube app under webOS 2.2.4 (on Veer, Pre3, Pre2, and PrePlus), and it was working 100% (even part of my meta doctor scripts)...

FYI Using Diff one can compare webOS 2.1.0 YouTube app to webOS 2.2.4, and from what I saw they are the same except the removal of the app ui and icon, but when launching the New Bookmark YouTube app it calls the stub YouTube app for account maintenance
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I have been using the webOS 2.1.0 YouTube app under webOS 2.2.4 (on Veer, Pre3, Pre2, and PrePlus), and it was working 100% (even part of my meta doctor scripts)...

FYI Using Diff one can compare webOS 2.1.0 YouTube app to webOS 2.2.4, and from what I saw they are the same except the removal of the app ui and icon, but when launching the New Bookmark YouTube app it calls the stub YouTube app for account maintenance
In 2.1 is a Youtube App included?! ..but I have loaded the Youtube App from 1.4.5 onto my pre 3 :/ ****!!
Old 11/08/2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Touchpad has got into a boot loop (well, during or before Luna startup) and if I ssh in and run the 'reboot' command it has always booted normally. It appeared to be looking for packages to I stall at boot time.. Your Pre3 may be doing something similar.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
My Touchpad has got into a boot loop (well, during or before Luna startup) and if I ssh in and run the 'reboot' command it has always booted normally. It appeared to be looking for packages to I stall at boot time.. Your Pre3 may be doing something similar.
Okay... My english is not very good and I'm not an developer, so what could I do? Sorry, I know I shouldn't do things like port an app to my pre 3 if I doesn't have the knowledge.. I know :/ And that was the last experiment!
Old 11/08/2012, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malte123 View Post
Okay... My english is not very good and I'm not an developer, so what could I do? Sorry, I know I shouldn't do things like port an app to my pre 3 if I doesn't have the knowledge.. I know :/ And that was the last experiment!
Do you have Developer Mode enabled before it started bootlooping? If so, just connect your phone to your computer, install the necessary drivers (Novacom link on my resource list), and start up Novaterm. You can try getting the last few system log messages by executing
Code:
tail /var/logs/messages
(IIRC the log location).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

OK, thank you for your help.. But I haven't the skills to do so :/ Now I use the webOS Doctor, it's okay!

Thank you again
Old 11/10/2012, 04:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

I'm back... with the same problem! Yesterday I doctored my Pre 3 and all was good, because I thought the problem was the youtube App from my Palm Pre and not an patch or other app, I started installing Preware and some Applications with Webos Quick install. And then I started Preware and installed my latest patches... As I want to restart my Pre 3, the same problem was there... And I doctored my Pre 3 again :/

Now I've installed Preware again, but nothing further... Must do I live now without patches and apps from Preware, because I don't know whats breaking my Pre 3?!

So and after this challenge with booting and doctoring, I've the feeling my Pre 3 suffer and the battery livetime is now worse as before... Or is it because the patches have increased the battery lifetime?!

I hope you can help me soon, I don't want to live without Patches and other from Preware!!
Old 11/12/2012, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm back... with the same problem! Yesterday I doctored my Pre 3 and all was good, because I thought the problem was the youtube App from my Palm Pre and not an patch or other app, I started installing Preware and some Applications with Webos Quick install. And then I started Preware and installed my latest patches... As I want to restart my Pre 3, the same problem was there... And I doctored my Pre 3 again :/

Now I've installed Preware again, but nothing further... Must do I live now without patches and apps from Preware, because I don't know whats breaking my Pre 3?!

So and after this challenge with booting and doctoring, I've the feeling my Pre 3 suffer and the battery livetime is now worse as before... Or is it because the patches have increased the battery lifetime?!

I hope you can help me soon, I don't want to live without Patches and other from Preware!!
Are you using the latest version of Preware? When installing patches, is everything fully installed prior to restarting? Are the patches you're installing made for the version of webOS on your Pre3?
Old 11/14/2012, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you using the latest version of Preware? When installing patches, is everything fully installed prior to restarting? Are the patches you're installing made for the version of webOS on your Pre3?
Yes Preware v1.9.12! No, by installing patches I need to restart the pre 3 to finish the installation. I've the latest version webos on my pre 3 and the patches are made for it.. I will try it again, or had anyone a better idea?! I really don't want to break my pre 3 again and again..

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
Old 11/15/2012, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes Preware v1.9.12! No, by installing patches I need to restart the pre 3 to finish the installation. I've the latest version webos on my pre 3 and the patches are made for it.. I will try it again, or had anyone a better idea?! I really don't want to break my pre 3 again and again..

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
Is that after it prompts you to restart? Restarting is not part of the installation process per se. The patch just modifies the system file and for those changes to take effect and be read by the system, it needs to be restarted. Just make sure you're restarting only after installation finishes and it prompts you to. Just make sure that the feeds for your version are enabled, and that you don't install the wrong version of the patch (make sure the patch is the 2.2.4 version).
Old 11/20/2012, 07:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Is that after it prompts you to restart? Restarting is not part of the installation process per se. The patch just modifies the system file and for those changes to take effect and be read by the system, it needs to be restarted. Just make sure you're restarting only after installation finishes and it prompts you to. Just make sure that the feeds for your version are enabled, and that you don't install the wrong version of the patch (make sure the patch is the 2.2.4 version).
"Just make sure you're restarting only after installation finishes and it prompts you to" yes I did it so, but my Pre 3 breaks... I have a look to the preware feeds and if this is okay, I want to install the patches again.. I hope my Pre 3 will be alive!
Old 11/20/2012, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just had this same issue happen to be a few weeks ago ubercalender was updated, it uninstalled the old version (which wiped out some js files), then patched the wiped out js files, install succeeded then Luna reboot... Abyss...

Fix issue by restoring files from doctor (comparing md5 hashes), then grew the root / from ~500M to ~760... Re applied all patches... Life was back to normal...

Check size of partitions using df -h...

Maybe that is your issue?
Old 12/01/2012, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Just had this same issue happen to be a few weeks ago ubercalender was updated, it uninstalled the old version (which wiped out some js files), then patched the wiped out js files, install succeeded then Luna reboot... Abyss...

Fix issue by restoring files from doctor (comparing md5 hashes), then grew the root / from ~500M to ~760... Re applied all patches... Life was back to normal...

Check size of partitions using df -h...

Maybe that is your issue?
Okay, sounds like my problem.. But how can I check if this is also my problem?
And how can I fix it? Sorry, but I have no knowledges of developing or anything like that

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 12/01/2012, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay, sounds like my problem.. But how can I check if this is also my problem?
And how can I fix it? Sorry, but I have no knowledges of developing or anything like that

Assume development mode is turned on, one would use a command line wterm (on device - from preware) or novaterm (from a USB connected computer)...

Then type df -h
Old 12/06/2012, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Assume development mode is turned on, one would use a command line wterm (on device - from preware) or novaterm (from a USB connected computer)...

Then type df -h
Ok, I've installed wTerm and typed df -h... And then I saw many different text-lines, but I don't know what I could see there?!
All text-lines began with mojowhatsup...

Sorry, I need help :/

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0