webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Horrible SMS issue AT&T Pre3 on AT&T
Horrible SMS issue AT&T Pre3 on AT&T
Like Tree5Likes

Old 11/06/2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Okay so apparently starting saturday or sunday I have been having a huge SMS issue.

Have had the phone for over a year and have never experienced this issue. Yesterday morning the wife calls me because she has sent me 9 SMS messages and I wasn't responding, my outbound text messages had been going out fine, but weren't in reply to her messages. After I get off the phone with her I reboot the phone, I find that from Sunday and Monday morning I had received SMS messages from 4 contacts (total of about 15 messages) and had not received notification of any of them. Some of the messages were from a buddy I had been sending outbound messages to Sunday and not received any response.

I have been receiving my SMS since the reboot, but I think some notifications may have not played (not sure on this). Some of the SMS I have received this morning the notification has played, but not until another message was received. The only thing I have done to the phone recently was turning off data when we were out on Saturday because I was running low on battery, data has been on since then so I don't think this is the issue.

Anyone with any ideas? If this keeps up the SIM will be going into a Veer or Pre2 until I can trouble shoot the Pre3. I send a minimum of 2000 SMS a month, most months closer to or over 3000. It is my primary form of communication every day especially while at work (both the wife and I work in offices where our breaks and lunches are not scheduled so it's not always reasonable to be able to make a phone call to communicate).

I really don't want to doctor, but I am starting to think that may be the next logical step. Haven't added or even updated any patches in quite a while so I don't think I have a borked patch.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Ziplock likes this.
Thanked By: Ziplock
Old 11/06/2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Okay I can confirm something is wrong.... maybe network?

SMS notification at 9:31, SMS time stamped at 9:17... I may have to switch to the Veer tonight and see how that goes for 24 hours =/
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/06/2012, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Okay I can confirm something is wrong.... maybe network?

SMS notification at 9:31, SMS time stamped at 9:17... I may have to switch to the Veer tonight and see how that goes for 24 hours =/
I've noticed something similar on mine w/ T-Mo. I always thought it was the network given the poor reception I have at home. Except for me, it's been with outbound.

I did notice also occasionally, if I send a text and shut the screen off right after hitting send, it'll stay gray until a few seconds after the screen turns on. Not sure if that's related.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welp it's official something is wrong with my Pre3.

Pulled battery and even removed SIM last night, deleted entire conversation between me and the wife... still got delayed receipt on all three people I was texting with last night, random intervals, and would then get multiple texts in a row. I was getting what seemed like high battery drain, but that could have just been my use last night, testing SMS and heavy twitter usage with moments on the TS in between.

Put SIM in Veer this morning, everything seems to be working fine on the Veer

Next steps look to be setting up my Pre2 with everything off the Pre3, then doctor the Pre3 to see if that fixes the issue. I am not happy, this will be the first time I have ever doctored a webOS device do to an issue of this nature.

three years and I have only doctored a handful of times
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 11/26/2012, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

I get this problem on my Pre 2 every now and then, not often, probably about 3 - 4 times in the last year that I've owned it. As soon as someone lets me know I've not replied to their text, I'll reboot the phone and get all my missing texts through. It's too long ago to remember if this happened on my original Pre. Happened on O2 in the UK and now on Vodafone.

I noticed this on this forum as I'm thinking about getting a Pre 3.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OldSkool, how clogged up is your messaging cache???

You didn't mention if you delete old SMS/MMS ever. Just that you text and text and text... I know some people save their old texts forever. I've heard that can cause issues.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had the problem a couple times now on my pre2, so I don't know if switching phones will help you.
If any body does have a solution, or know what's causing the problem, that would be awesome. You will save many marriages
crazybirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

use "Export Messages" to export your history (careful: no import possible!) and then delete all conversations... maybe that helps.

At least it helps a lot with the performance of the messaging app.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
OldSkool, how clogged up is your messaging cache???

You didn't mention if you delete old SMS/MMS ever. Just that you text and text and text... I know some people save their old texts forever. I've heard that can cause issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
I've had the problem a couple times now on my pre2, so I don't know if switching phones will help you.
If any body does have a solution, or know what's causing the problem, that would be awesome. You will save many marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
use "Export Messages" to export your history (careful: no import possible!) and then delete all conversations... maybe that helps.

At least it helps a lot with the performance of the messaging app.
Sorry folks I've been out of pocket for most of the last week (holiday and sick)...

Couple things, once I swapped the SIM and confirmed it was device specific I went back and deleted all my old SMS history (I know people have mentioned this before). This did not fix the issue, after a week of carrying two phones last Tuesday I decided to wipe the profile and setup a test profile. Test profile appeared to work, next thing was to put my profile back on. For the last week my profile has been back to working normal and the Veer back to resting.

Conclusion is that I must have tweaked something in my profile/SIM settings on the device. Since the profile deletion would recreate a lot of that data this appears to have fixed the issue. I do run a lot of patches and the night before this issue started I was toggling on and off all kinds of things using the advanced menu patches. I was running low on battery life and checking in to different places, posting pictures to FB/twitter. In an effort to stretch out the battery I was toggling data, and gps more than normal.

Whatever did it, must have been something corrupt where my profile and phone settings come together and the profile wipe fixed it. I didn't wipe data or do a doctor, thanks to save/restore getting back up has been relatively painless.
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 12/02/2012, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Couple things, once I swapped the SIM and confirmed it was device specific I went back and deleted all my old SMS history (I know people have mentioned this before). This did not fix the issue, after a week of carrying two phones last Tuesday I decided to wipe the profile and setup a test profile. Test profile appeared to work, next thing was to put my profile back on. For the last week my profile has been back to working normal and the Veer back to resting.
I started having this same problem with my VZW Pre 3 this past week. Text messages seem to come in in batches, where I won't get any from someone for a while and then all of a sudden, a bunch of messages they've written over the past hour or two will all pop up at once. I've also noticed that the power has been draining a lot more than usual, but not when I turn data off.

Anyway, I found this thread while searching to see if anyone else had the issue. Pardon my ignorance, but how did you do the profile wipe/reinstall without running webOS Doctor? I've been poking around the Accounts & Reset options, but I can't seem to find the right option.

Any ideas what's causing the problem? I never delete text messages, either.

Thanks,
OM
Ottermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 03:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

To do a wipe without a doctor select "delete application and data" or similar (only have german webos here it is called "Anwend./Daten löschen", it is the first red button in the device infos -> reset options). This will wipe all apps and all settings and do a restore of your palm/hp profile. It will not wipe the USB Partition and it will also not touch any patches. The issue is that preware forgets what patches you had installed... s emergency patch remove should be done also.
Old 12/03/2012, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
To do a wipe without a doctor select "delete application and data" or similar (only have german webos here it is called "Anwend./Daten löschen", it is the first red button in the device infos -> reset options). This will wipe all apps and all settings and do a restore of your palm/hp profile. It will not wipe the USB Partition and it will also not touch any patches. The issue is that preware forgets what patches you had installed... s emergency patch remove should be done also.
This is what I did, except I didnt run EPR (emergency patch removal) I restored my saved patches list then "installed" all of them, haven't had any issues that I have noticed, other than a random complete drain last night.... not sure what that was about, but I passed out with my phone on the dresser and not on the Touchstone, with the cowboys game on last night, no clue where my charge level was when I headed to bed....
Old 12/06/2012, 03:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, that's true. If the patch is the same in the feeds that you applied before, then preware will detect that and just say: "It seems that this patch is already installed.". You might run into issues, if a newer version is in the feeds, though... but you can still use EPR then.
Old 12/06/2012, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think I need to EPR, I've noticed a couple issues (mainly the disable light bar patch not functioning properly)
Old 01/01/2013, 05:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Doing this now hope this works .... my text messages have been lagging for about 5 min or even not even coming in at all till a hard reset.
Ziplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

It worked thanks for the FIX!! This was the reason I switched from a pre2 to the pre3, I wonder if this method would have also fix'd it on my pre2.
Ziplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Glad it worked for you.... no clue if this was the issue on your Pre2, out of 7 webOS phones, this is the only time I've seen this bug, so it's a distinct possibility.

Just wish I knew what caused it.
Old 01/04/2013, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I think I need to EPR, I've noticed a couple issues (mainly the disable light bar patch not functioning properly)
mine works again after a reinstall, b4 that it would stick ON, u til i tapped my gesture area then it would dim and vanish, no idea what caused it tho.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 01/27/2013, 08:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

i have this issue also. Have had it since November 2012. 3 different pre 3's.. Have tried to get help from ATT..no dice. Have read a lot on the subject--most say it's a network issue and/or the amount of messages the network stores causing message id issues. i will try the reset mentioned here and report back.
homer14z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 08:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

well..thinking about it, i've tried on 2 additional phones, so i doubt the reset will work...but still trying.
homer14z is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0