webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Horrible SMS issue AT&T Pre3 on AT&T
Horrible SMS issue AT&T Pre3 on AT&T
Like Tree5Likes

Old 01/28/2013, 02:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

If you are having the issue on multiple phones, maybe get a new SIM?

When I put my SIM into another phone the issue went away instantly.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 11:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

well I have tried the new sim on the 2 new pre 3's and still have the issue. it is somewhat intermittent, but happens more often than not. even when working "properly", there's still nearly 30s to 1 minute delay, much slower than on my windows phone or when I send messages to my friends on BB, android or ios. As it turns out, my original pre3 may have only had the light sensor issue w/the screen protector (learned about that here--thanks!) that my current phone is having so I may be able to pull that one and try the new sim in it.

This whole issue started at the LSU vs AL football game last year. It is somewhat normal during football games because of the system overloading at the stadium, but usually resolves after the game. The old phone started having the black screen issue, and I got the new phone. Got another new phone when the replacement still had the text msg issue. Will follow up after mardi gras!
homer14z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 12:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen once on my VZW Pre2. I didn't receive texts all weekend but mine sent out. After people started asking if I was getting their messages I restarted the phone and all the texts I had missed came in.

Last edited by bimmin; 02/12/2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell
bimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 09:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
I had the same thing happen once on my VZW Pre2. I didn't receive texts all weekend but mine sent out. After people started asking if I was getting there messages I restarted the phone and all the texts I had missed came in.
This is my exact issue now. Except the problem returns later on. I waiting until I have time to visit the doctor, unless there is a fix for this.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 07:24 AM   #25 (permalink)

problem not resolved.. threw the old phone away (waste) so I can't experiment with that. I read somewhere that it is to do with the number of messages saved on your phone and duplicate id's for messages. has anyone tried deleting or exporting all messages off of the phone? and is there an easy way to do this?
Old 02/18/2013, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

I have, no dice for me. Strange too since my Pixi had 2 years worth of texts and never gave me an issue.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

while I see many people with many different phones and many different networks having this issue..i almost think it's a phone issue in my case..as in pre 3, not just this particular pre 3. I've had the same issue with 3 different "3's".. I switched the sim into my windows phone and the pre 3 still had issues, while the windows phone works with either sim. the sms come in almost instantly on the windows phone, and there is always a minimum 1/2 to 1 minute wait on the pre 3, even when it is on good behavior--which is very rarely. i'm at my wit's end...
Old 10/21/2013, 04:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

This is caused by having too many messages on the phone. I deleted a large amount of history and all is well.
Thanked By: JohnLBurger
Old 10/21/2013, 07:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
This is caused by having too many messages on the phone. I deleted a large amount of history and all is well.
my att pre 3 unlocked has 11400+ messages on it and SMS comes in instantly...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2013, 10:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

just to chime in, my Pre 3 with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM works fine with sms. Perhaps there's something not so right in the APN settings of your AT&T Sim that might need to be adjusted.

I'm using an unlocked AT&T Pre 3.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2013, 01:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

SMS shouldn't need APN but it uses something called a message center if i'm correct and those are in carrrieedb.json as well if I recall correctly.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 10/24/2013, 08:55 PM   #32 (permalink)

chatthreader is probably the culprit. It is a process in the phone that is responsible for taking an incoming message and tying it to a chatted conversation. I've watched as messages come in (using the luna-service bus monitor tool), chatthreader goes wild, and it takes up to a few hours before the notification goes off.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to prevent this...
Old 11/18/2013, 09:16 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
chatthreader is probably the culprit. It is a process in the phone that is responsible for taking an incoming message and tying it to a chatted conversation. I've watched as messages come in (using the luna-service bus monitor tool), chatthreader goes wild, and it takes up to a few hours before the notification goes off.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to prevent this...
I'm about to try deleting a lot of old messages (as I keep everything - digital hoarder here), and then may eventually try wiping my profile and seeing if that fixes it.

But if not, I'd be very interested in anything you can come up with regarding chatthreader. That behavior makes sense, as it will eventually flush everything through (sometimes within an hour, most of the time 6-12+ hours later). It used to be (aka for the past month up until a week ago) that I could simply toggle Airplane Mode on then back off, and this would "flush the buffer" and everything would come in. But for the past few days, it now seems to require a full restart in order to get messages... Not ideal. :/

Also, just a note that whenever it starts acting up, I get an orange notification saying something about my AT&T Address Book (which I don't believe I even use) is offline or can't connect or something like that. It used to be that when I toggled Airplane mode and texts came in, a few minutes later I'd get this notification and would know that I wouldn't get any more texts until I did that again. But as I said, these past few days it's required a full restart.
JohnLBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2013, 06:56 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well, did deleting work for you?
Old 12/14/2013, 02:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

ok..on this "new" pre3 (relatively new one I changed the screen on) all was well until last nite. I added a bunch of preware and now I have this issue again..I've been deleting everything I added, esp apps that deal with sms, but to no avail. I went back to the standard kernel also. I've got to stop tinkering...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0