webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 only on WiFi question
Pre 3 only on WiFi question

Old 11/05/2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a Pre 3 for Christmas but I have a doubt.

Does the Pre 3 work fine with WebOS 2.2 and Wi-Fi only? Does the browser and the app catalog work fine?

I ask this because I had a Pre 2 and in WebOS 2.1 everything worked fine only with Wi-Fi (I do not have a data plan - I am located in Peru). When I upgraded the Pre 2 to 2.2.4, the web browser, app catalog and other internet links did not work, I doctored the Pre 2 twice but no luck so I went back to 2.1. I did not try again because I had to borrow a SIM card with data everytime. In the Pre 2 forum I spoke with another guy having the same problem and the solution was the same, remain in 2.1 with the Pre 2.

Since the Pre 3 comes with 2.2 I want to know if it will work only with Wi-Fi.

Let me know, thanks in advance
guilledil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Veer on 2.2.4 on Wi-Fi only. So yes it works fine. I created a separate webOS account though.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Check this forum...

A lot of Pre 3 users report WiFi difficulties...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

WiFi on my Pre3 works fine without the issues you mentioned. There's a Pre3 WiFi fix to keep WiFi on when screen's off; there's also a patch that enable to cycle WiFi when you enter a WiFi area and can't connect to it automatically. But without these two patches, there are still no the issue you said for me.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
matchqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I frequently use my Pre3 in this mode (e.g. when travelling) without any problems but then I used my Pre- this way too before I upgraded and didn't get problems there either so I can't say I am familiar with the problems you describe.

I find the Pre3 WiFi very unreliable when connecting to captive portals but fine the rest of the time.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the responses, as I mentioned I was afraid about something not working due to my experience with a Pre 2 in 2.2.4. Great to know it is not the case for the Pre 3.
guilledil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry not to answer the OP but I use my Pre 2 on 2.2.4 on wi-fi only with no data plan just fine. I'm also thinking of getting a Pre 3 but don't foresee any issues.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0