webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 Playing Two Tones on Text Alerts?
Pre 3 Playing Two Tones on Text Alerts?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By dkirker

Old 11/05/2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have my Pre3 all set up with my ringtones and alert sounds, and I've noticed something strange. On receiving a text, if the ringer is not silenced, I almost always hear it play my custom alert tone, immediately followed by one of the default alert tones (the same one always, not different ones each time). This is especially screwey since I actually *deleted* all the stock ringtone files because I never use any of them.
Sidecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Happens lots, but not every time for me...

I get default tone a lot when I receive MMS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you use the Advanced patches? just wondering
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do, and have used em on all my 2.x devices
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/06/2012, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do as well. Is that a known issue for those?

I've since noticed that it actually does the same thing on vibrate. A shorter buzz when the message first arrives, quickly followed by a slightly longer one.
Old 11/06/2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have never noticed the vibrate issue.

I don't think this is an issue with the advanced patches, I believe people have been complaining about this forever, then again I have been patched for 3+ years now so who knows.
Old 11/06/2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm. I think I just remembered the problem. On Google Talk, sometimes the system would ring multiple times for the same message, though all with the default message in sound. Number of rings seemed to increase with number of messages received.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just remember i used Advanced Patches to change the tone to a ringtone (like the Mail Time song from Blue's Clues for new email) and it will play and cut off at 5 seconds (that is normal) and then i would sometimes hear a second chime afterwards. ding ding ding DINGG~

I think it may have replaced the custom tone entirely on some occasions too... but im not sure now.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

What's especially odd here is that the phone is playing the default message alert as the second sound when the audio isn't silenced. This should NOT be possible given that I have deleted every single default ringtone file. How in the hell is it managing that?
Old 11/08/2012, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecutter View Post
What's especially odd here is that the phone is playing the default message alert as the second sound when the audio isn't silenced. This should NOT be possible given that I have deleted every single default ringtone file. How in the hell is it managing that?
There may be other copies. I think there are at least three locations where sound are stored. One has raw ADPCM audio, one has MP3s, and the other is in your media partition where you can select ringtones.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
There may be other copies. I think there are at least three locations where sound are stored. One has raw ADPCM audio, one has MP3s, and the other is in your media partition where you can select ringtones.
sounds about right since there are certain system sounds that are not "ring tones" but are the same as some of the default selectable tones.
Old 11/09/2012, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Check /usr/palm/sounds/alert.wav.

I am going to try to watch the log when something like this happens. It is possible that the sound subsystem is reporting an error to LunaSysMgr and LSM is then playing the default sound (even though the custom sound already played!!!!).

In the mean time... I think that I may replace that file with a 1 sec silent sound file...
Old 11/09/2012, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Check /usr/palm/sounds/alert.wav.

I am going to try to watch the log when something like this happens. It is possible that the sound subsystem is reporting an error to LunaSysMgr and LSM is then playing the default sound (even though the custom sound already played!!!!).

In the mean time... I think that I may replace that file with a 1 sec silent sound file...
don't forget, if it's the alert I am thinking of it is used for other system sounds as well.

Off the top of my head, charging sound (I know lots of people disable but I don't), and voicemail alert. Probably a few others as well.
Old 11/09/2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

That happens when you have a lot of messages and it piled up, then phone runs out of memory and needs to do swapping.

That's one issue I have with webOS... p*** poor memory management.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 06:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've come across this before, here: Pre3 autocorrect sounds

I managed to solve it by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
In case anyone else finds this, after a bit of digging I also found some PCM files in:

Quote:
/usr/share/systemsounds
You'll need something like Audacity to import the files, as they are raw data and can't be played in much else.

I should also mention that renaming a file in this folder, "sysmgr_alert.pcm" fixed an annoying bug where the phone would play two notification sounds (one after the other) when a message was received.
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yup! That did it for me! I changed sysmgr_alert.pcm to a quieter, more enjoyable sound.
Old 11/28/2012, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
That happens when you have a lot of messages and it piled up, then phone runs out of memory and needs to do swapping.

That's one issue I have with webOS... p*** poor memory management.
I know this isn't the cause for me because its started from the get-go with the phone, and I'm seeing my messages promptly in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
I've come across this before, here: Pre3 autocorrect sounds

I managed to solve it by:
Hm. I'll try that. Does that also solve it on vibrate mode for you?
Old 11/28/2012, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I also noticed... I had created a tone for email messages. It was a quick whoosh. Every time it would play that sound, and then the default notification sound. It got annoying. I found another whoosh sound that was quieter, calmer, and also longer, and installed it. I guess that it was just long enough to not cause a problem. The two-tone is gone!
Old 11/28/2012, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Anyone else get the default beep for MMS only?

Seems like every MMS is the dong, but my custom tone plays for SMS pretty consistently (think it might be in relation to an advanced patch)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0