webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 and Pre 2 Comparison
Pre 3 and Pre 2 Comparison
Like Tree10Likes

Old 11/01/2012, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Love is such a hard thing sometimes. I have every reason to abandon webOS but seem unable to. But this is not a discussion of pros and cons of webOS, it should rather be a comparison between a pre 2 and a pre 3. I am considering of switching from my old palm treo 750 (still works great) to HP pre 3. However, due to my limited budget I am finding this phone still quite expensive even used. The pre 2 seems more affordable, so the real question is how big is the difference of these phones. I have of course red review and comparisons but I would prefer the comments of users that have used these phones for a long time, especially people that have used both. The HP veer seems too small to consider so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

The difference is comparable to the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 jump. (Translation: bigger than most people would think)
It's an upgrade in pretty much everything, although it's relative rarity can cause problems. (e.g. cost and lack of accessories.)
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 and Vistaus like this.
Old 11/01/2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
Love is such a hard thing sometimes. I have every reason to abandon webOS but seem unable to. But this is not a discussion of pros and cons of webOS, it should rather be a comparison between a pre 2 and a pre 3. I am considering of switching from my old palm treo 750 (still works great) to HP pre 3. However, due to my limited budget I am finding this phone still quite expensive even used. The pre 2 seems more affordable, so the real question is how big is the difference of these phones. I have of course red review and comparisons but I would prefer the comments of users that have used these phones for a long time, especially people that have used both. The HP veer seems too small to consider so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Having had both of these fine units I can tell you they're night and day. The first thing you have to consider is the OS. Windows Mobile is a very robust system that can do more than any other out there right now, especially for the enterprise crowd. But like webOS, it is considered a "dead" OS since there is little to no support. As for the devices themselves, The Pre 3 has a larger capacitive screen, wi-fi, more Bluetooth profiles and GPS. Your 750 has that spectacular keyboard and mini SD external storage. These are just some highlights that are important to me, your mileage may vary. You mention the Veer as being too small yet it has a larger screen (2.6 vs. 2.5) than your Treo, so I'm assuming the keyboard is very important to you.

Tell us more of what your priorities are and we can be of more help to you.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kkalogia
Old 11/01/2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
Having had both of these fine units I can tell you they're night and day. The first thing you have to consider is the OS. Windows Mobile is a very robust system that can do more than any other out there right now, especially for the enterprise crowd. But like webOS, it is considered a "dead" OS since there is little to no support. As for the devices themselves, The Pre 3 has a larger capacitive screen, wi-fi, more Bluetooth profiles and GPS. Your 750 has that spectacular keyboard and mini SD external storage. These are just some highlights that are important to me, your mileage may vary. You mention the Veer as being too small yet it has a larger screen (2.6 vs. 2.5) than your Treo, so I'm assuming the keyboard is very important to you.

Thank you both for your replies.

The comparison i want is between the Pre 3 and the Pre 2, obviously the Treo cannot stand such a comparison. I used to tinker a bit, and by tinker i mean install and uninstall a ton of apps, with my Treo back in the days of Windows XP, but since going to Vista and now 7 i am no longer able to sync my phone, not that i have looked into it that much really.

The Veer seems small compared to the Pres. As for my priorities i almost never write sms, don't twitt or use facebook etc. I would mostly use the phone for web browsing, a bit of tinkering, games, mails, checklists and reminders, some music and to be honest mostly as a toy overall. I do have a TP as well and a secret dream of mine would be to write an app someday (yeah like it's only me). That will probably take a long time since i have no idea of programming. I did start some online courses for javascript and then back in May Diablo 3 came out (damnit) .

I was hoping that someone might say that there is not much difference between them but the Pre 3 is probably much better. I am having trouble finding a cheap one (ok no specific definition of cheap here) and since i want it as a big boys' toy (i am just fine with the Treo) i am having trouble convincing myself to spend too much money. I guess one way is to wait some more till prices drop a bit. On the other hand one might say that there is no reason to invest on a webos phone right now. I mean with the limited apps and the fact that i have seen what webos has to offer maybe i should be considering an android phone. I have found android to be quite good on the TP with a ton of free apps, but i still find myself using webos, android just doesn't feel right yet. Then again there is the option of windows 8 (IMO it is going to be very good but also very expensive for some time) or just waiting for open webos (not very optimistic about that).

Oh well just thinking outloud. Anyway, any comparison between the Pres is more than welcome.
Old 11/01/2012, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post

The comparison i want is between the Pre 3 and the Pre 2, obviously the Treo cannot stand such a comparison. I used to tinker a bit, and by tinker i mean install and uninstall a ton of apps, with my Treo back in the days of Windows XP, but since going to Vista and now 7 i am no longer able to sync my phone, not that i have looked into it that much really.

The Veer seems small compared to the Pres. As for my priorities i almost never write sms, don't twitt or use facebook etc. I would mostly use the phone for web browsing, a bit of tinkering, games, mails, checklists and reminders, some music and to be honest mostly as a toy overall. I do have a TP as well and a secret dream of mine would be to write an app someday (yeah like it's only me). That will probably take a long time since i have no idea of programming. I did start some online courses for javascript and then back in May Diablo 3 came out (damnit) .

I was hoping that someone might say that there is not much difference between them but the Pre 3 is probably much better. I am having trouble finding a cheap one (ok no specific definition of cheap here) and since i want it as a big boys' toy (i am just fine with the Treo) i am having trouble convincing myself to spend too much money. I guess one way is to wait some more till prices drop a bit. On the other hand one might say that there is no reason to invest on a webos phone right now. I mean with the limited apps and the fact that i have seen what webos has to offer maybe i should be considering an android phone. I have found android to be quite good on the TP with a ton of free apps, but i still find myself using webos, android just doesn't feel right yet. Then again there is the option of windows 8 (IMO it is going to be very good but also very expensive for some time) or just waiting for open webos (not very optimistic about that).

Oh well just thinking outloud. Anyway, any comparison between the Pres is more than welcome.
Old 11/01/2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

the biggest problem i have w/ the pre3 is it freezes a LOT, constant issues etc.. but i have it on the TS a lot and this causes issues with constant battery on / off, causing various hardware components to glitch. this is firmware related though and nothing a reboot doesn't fix

the bigger screen size is fantastic, and the CPU power adds much needed boost. it's still laggy webos, though, just a lot faster and a LOT easier to read. A+ for best webos phone ever.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Pre 3 has a bigger screen, a slightly bigger keyboard, a faster cpu, auto-focus camera, forward facing camera and tts for your TP. The software is the same (2.2.4) except some homebrews appear tiny on the 3 because of resolution disparities, but that's about it. I think the slider mechanism on the 3 is vastly better than the 2 but that's a very objective viewpoint. Try out the 2, if it suits your needs stick with it. I have a hunch you're like me though, and you won't stop until you get the 3.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

just search a bit here in the forums. i have both but use Pre2 16GB as primary device cause of the smaller formfactor and it's more stable than the crippled 8GB EU Pre3 (US 16GB Pre3 could be better). Though Pre3s cam is the first one really usable.

Palm Pre 2 still worth it?

On the verge of going back to the Pre2 - suggestions welcome
Thanked By: crazybirdman
Old 11/01/2012, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
just search a bit here in the forums. i have both but use Pre2 16GB as primary device cause of the smaller formfactor and it's more stable than the crippled 8GB EU Pre3 (US 16GB Pre3 could be better). Though Pre3s cam is the first one really usable.

Palm Pre 2 still worth it?

On the verge of going back to the Pre2 - suggestions welcome
Thx for the threads I read both of them but I have to say I am more confused now . Still it only makes sense that people have different opinions. Wish something from open webOS would come our way.
Old 11/01/2012, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Thx for the threads I read both of them but I have to say I am more confused now . Still it only makes sense that people have different opinions. Wish something from open webOS would come our way.
The Pre 3 is the BEST webOS phone you can buy. It's so good, in fact, that it's been the #1 webOS phone since it came out, and there's no end in sight. Actually, it's even better than that -- because it was so awesome, they decided there was absolutely no need to make any more webOS phones. That's right, the Pre 3 is so awesome, it will forever be the champ! But no, really, there is most likely no webOS phone around the corner. Get the Pre 3 and be happy!

Liked by dkirker likes this.
Old 11/01/2012, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

If money is a concern get your feet wet with a pre2

Last edited by laingman; 11/01/2012 at 06:20 PM.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Being on AT&T, I got a Pre2 unlocked and loved it. Previously I had the Pre Plus, before that a Centro, before that a Treo 650.

I spent almost a year with the Pre2 and now have my Pre3 for over a year. There are advantages to each.

The Pre 3 has a larger screen and an easier keyboard to type on, but you can get used to both as I did. The 5mp autofocus camera on the Pre3 is much better than the 5mp fixed focus camera on the Pre2. Video recording on the Pre3 is 720p, vs 640x480 on the Pre 2 (same as Pre Plus). The video quality on my Pre3 is better than my Nikon S3000, which to me is impressive. Of course the Pre3 has a front camera and supports Skype video calling as well as Skype messaging.

Having a webOS phone to me, having a spare battery is a must, preferably with a spare battery charger. Your options for the Pre2 would be much better in this regard, as you can use any Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2 or even Centro batteries and chargers.

The Pre3 makes talking on the phone a much better experience, since it not only has dual microphones, but the front microphone on the Pre3 is on the bottom of the keyboard instead of on the face of the phone. With the Pre, Plus, and 2, when you try to hold the phone on your shoulder you will cover the single front microphone with your cheek making it impossible for the person on the other end to understand what you are saying. This isn't the case with the Pre3, and holding the phone on your shoulder doesn't cause this problem.

If you are on AT&T, having a Pre3 will give you HSPA+, but a Pre2 will only let you use 3G. Freetether works great for both phones.

Battery life will be somewhat better on the Pre3 than on the 2, but in my opinion, neither are very good.

The Pre3 keyboard seems to often double type characters, necessitating frequent corrections or having to re enter passwords on a website when logging in. However, the Pre3 has text assist autocorrect, which I think are also on the Pre2, my memory is starting to fade on whether this feature was there.

The slider is much much more solid on the Pre3, hands down. It feels much more like one piece that slides than two halves that feel like they are wanting to separate from each other. The build quality on the Pre3 is so much better than the Pre2.

A lot of the apps I had on my Pre+ and Pre2 did not transfer over to my Pre3, and I was somewhat disappointed in that. Luckily, my favorite app, NDrive, I was able to get the beta version and download US maps for $35 and I subscribed to one year of live traffic for $12. You should be able to get this app for both the 2 and 3. Its great for device based navigation that requires no data connection and gives you 3D birds eye view and voice turn by turn directions.

The Pre3 performs smoothly, but does not have very good memory management. So when the pre3 works, its smooth. But it does have a tendency to lock up. It has a single core 1.4GHz processor. You can overclock up to 1.9GHz, but it will heat up and really kill the battery. The Pre2 has a single core 1GHz processor, but you can safely overclock to 1.2 without serious battery drain or heat. I was able to have many many more cards open on the Pre2 than I can on the Pre3. One time I opened over 65 cards on the Pre2 and it still didn't lock up. Open 10 cards on the Pre3 and you're in trouble. Also, the web browser often makes my pre3 unresponsive, especially when viewing desktop versions of a websites, such as Facebook. Both the 2 and 3 support flash, which was not supported on the Pre or Pre Plus.

Would I go back to a Pre2? No. But I sometimes do miss some of the things it did better. The Pre3 is a nicely designed phone that may have kept webOS phones as a viable option. The Pre2 has too small of a screen and seems quite thick for a phone with such a small screen. I've learned to use my phone more sparingly as far as multitasking to prevent it from locking up, and Uberkernel helps a lot in this regard.

I have a touchstone charger in my car. When I had a Pre2 the phone was able to stay stuck to the charger magnetically all by itself. With the Pre3, I had to mount the touchstone to a phone vent holder to hold the phone in place since the pre3 has a curved back.

Good luck with whichever you choose!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode, kayphoonstar and kkalogia like this.
Thanked by Jimbode, kkalogia, oldog
Old 11/01/2012, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Pre2 does have text assist/auto correct
Old 11/02/2012, 02:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Pre3 also has it. From OS standpoint they are both the same (2.2.4). But app wise older apps had difficulties with the transition to Pre3 big screeb (some sorted out with hacks look for 'viewport': <meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>). Newer enyo apps sometimes are more optimized for Pre3 screen (oh wait new apps??? just kidding).
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 03:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Vasekvi

thank you for your taking the time to write such an elaborate, informative and helpful review, it does address pretty much everything as far as I can tell. The pre 3 does seem the choice for me despite reported problems which are clearer to me now thanks to everyone. I am always surprised at how people come forward to help out, what is this, some kind of community?

P.S. As a general sidenote, I really don't care for attention hungry posts
Old 11/02/2012, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

I have both. Considering going back to my Pre 2:

Pre 3:
- Bigger screen
- Many games won't run, or run poorly due to developers not updating their PDK code to use the new hardware
- Doesn't connect well to touchstones, and touchstones for it were never sold. Using the touchstone in the car with a pre3 is problematic and requires hardware hacks, or extra magnets.
- I've had problems with it shutting down when opening or closing the keyboard, akin to the original pre- loose battery issue. It happens randomly without touching the phone as well.

Pre 2:
- runs legacy programs and games
- fits the touchstones
- smaller display and keyboard.
- can be used to frankenpre onto sprint, if that is your carrier.

Both:
- bluetooth software is unreliable for me, mostly with my car's head unit. Connecting and disconnecting is voodoo. Never had these problems with 1.4.5. 2.2.4 is very half-baked.
- if playing music and an SMS comes in, things will stutter. I've tracked this down to the processor spinning down, and have somewhat fixed it by limiting how slow it goes with custom kernel and govnah. No idea why an SMS message would cause such problems. Again, half-baked backend with the radios.
- wifi will shut down when the phone sleeps regardless of the setting to keep it live. lame. Wifi power saving is also used. You can address this, but it gets re-set the next time wifi is shut down by going to sleep. Since HP baked this into their own binaries, it can't be fixed. Perhaps somebody will address it with OpenWebOS.

Last edited by knobbysideup; 11/02/2012 at 09:36 AM.
knobbysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 11/02/2012, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
the biggest problem i have w/ the pre3 is it freezes a LOT, constant issues etc.. but i have it on the TS a lot and this causes issues with constant battery on / off, causing various hardware components to glitch. this is firmware related though and nothing a reboot doesn't fix

the bigger screen size is fantastic, and the CPU power adds much needed boost. it's still laggy webos, though, just a lot faster and a LOT easier to read. A+ for best webos phone ever.
What the hell do you do with your phone man? Even without patches the Pre 3 isn't laggy at all for me. Yes, a freeze now and then but laggy, no. And I usually have 4-6 cards open including data suckers like a Twitter-client. No lag at all, all fluid.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 03:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
What the hell do you do with your phone man? Even without patches the Pre 3 isn't laggy at all for me. Yes, a freeze now and then but laggy, no. And I usually have 4-6 cards open including data suckers like a Twitter-client. No lag at all, all fluid.
it usually happens when a mixture of the following occurs:

1. been uptime for few days
2. been on TS and off TS repeatedly
3. TS is not in PERFECT position (phone goes bezerk)
4. had apps running for a while
5. plugged in and out of charger for a while

then i'll wake up in the morning and the whole thing will just be super laggy, and it will eventually freeze. turning on screen will work, but touch responses will be super slow, and then they just won't work at all

it's nothing i'm doing out of ordinary, but it IS specific to pre3, since I didn't have this issue w/ pre 2

i do have verizon version, though, which has different hardware (and firmware) than at&t version.

also, a reboot fixes all

Old 11/02/2012, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

funny, the only time I've had much trouble with my Pre3 is when I was running fxspec's video poker game.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
I have both. Considering going back to my Pre 2:

Pre 3:
- Bigger screen
- Many games won't run, or run poorly due to developers not updating their PDK code to use the new hardware
- Doesn't connect well to touchstones, and touchstones for it were never sold. Using the touchstone in the car with a pre3 is problematic and requires hardware hacks, or extra magnets.
- I've had problems with it shutting down when opening or closing the keyboard, akin to the original pre- loose battery issue. It happens randomly without touching the phone as well.

Pre 2:
- runs legacy programs and games
- fits the touchstones
- smaller display and keyboard.
- can be used to frankenpre onto sprint, if that is your carrier.

Both:
- bluetooth software is unreliable for me, mostly with my car's head unit. Connecting and disconnecting is voodoo. Never had these problems with 1.4.5. 2.2.4 is very half-baked.
- if playing music and an SMS comes in, things will stutter. I've tracked this down to the processor spinning down, and have somewhat fixed it by limiting how slow it goes with custom kernel and govnah. No idea why an SMS message would cause such problems. Again, half-baked backend with the radios.
- wifi will shut down when the phone sleeps regardless of the setting to keep it live. lame. Wifi power saving is also used. You can address this, but it gets re-set the next time wifi is shut down by going to sleep. Since HP baked this into their own binaries, it can't be fixed. Perhaps somebody will address it with OpenWebOS.
Never had these problems with sms and wifi. As for bluetooth, it has to do with the head unit. I had a sony which worked perfectly then I bought a pyle and when it connects automatically the phone would work but would not stream music. I would have to disconnect and connect again for it to stream.

Now I changed to a Boss and it works like a charm. Don't know if it is the bt implementation in the phone or the different head units that is to blame.

I don't use skype so I see no benefit to using 2.2.4. I went back to 2.1 and couldn't be happier. Not an option for pre3 I suppose

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0