webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 and Pre 2 Comparison
Pre 3 and Pre 2 Comparison
Like Tree10Likes

Old 11/02/2012, 10:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

I applaud you guys for still holding on to these webos phones.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker and Remy X like this.
Old 11/02/2012, 11:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
Some of us drive Pacers and spin LP's too. I fail to see your point, should we consider ourselves outcasts for wanting to use the most user-friendly UI ever created? Here's a thought: I use my Pre 3 because it lets me (a) tether to my iPad 3 through BT PAN, (b) shows up as a network share drive on my laptop, and (c) allows me to text from said laptop without having to pull it out of its holster. Name me one Android phone that gives me the ability to do all three at the same time.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/03/2012, 12:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
Some of us drive Pacers and spin LP's too. I fail to see your point, should we consider ourselves outcasts for wanting to use the most user-friendly UI ever created? Here's a thought: I use my Pre 3 because it lets me (a) tether to my iPad 3 through BT PAN, (b) shows up as a network share drive on my laptop, and (c) allows me to text from said laptop without having to pull it out of its holster. Name me one Android phone that gives me the ability to do all three at the same time.
Ummm chill out bud. I wasnt bashing anyone. I was applauding people sticking to phones that arent supported offcially and are outdated with an unknown future. And when did i mention android?
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 09:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

As you can probably tell, everyone's mileage with these phone varies, as their usage habits. Hence, their opinion varies.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 01:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Ummm chill out bud. I wasnt bashing anyone. I was applauding people sticking to phones that arent supported offcially and are outdated with an unknown future. And when did i mention android?
Sorry if I came off a little strong. It gets old when you have to sift through so many posters constantly "bashing" webOS and its users.
Old 11/03/2012, 03:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry if I came off a little strong. It gets old when you have to sift through so many posters constantly "bashing" webOS and its users.
Just add the ones that really test your patience to your ignore list.. makes it much easier to read the forums. (not referring to you fixxxer1022 )

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 04:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Just add the ones that really test your patience to your ignore list.. makes it much easier to read the forums. (not referring to you fixxxer1022 )
That would be too easy. Besides, I abhor all forms of censorship (I'm Cuban). Maybe I'm just too damned old, where's that bottle of Geritol?
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/03/2012, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
That would be too easy. Besides, I abhor all forms of censorship (I'm Cuban). Maybe I'm just too damned old, where's that bottle of Geritol?
It's only censorship if the site admins do it. Nothing wrong with ignoring those that make you want to swear.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/03/2012 at 07:36 PM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
Love is such a hard thing sometimes. I have every reason to abandon webOS but seem unable to. But this is not a discussion of pros and cons of webOS, it should rather be a comparison between a pre 2 and a pre 3. I am considering of switching from my old palm treo 750 (still works great) to HP pre 3. However, due to my limited budget I am finding this phone still quite expensive even used. The pre 2 seems more affordable, so the real question is how big is the difference of these phones. I have of course red review and comparisons but I would prefer the comments of users that have used these phones for a long time, especially people that have used both. The HP veer seems too small to consider so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all.
I've had both a Pre 2 and Pre 3 with Verizon Wireless. My Pre 2 needed to be reset on a daily basis, I was regularly not receiving sms until it was reset, GPS was terrible, requiring the GPS Fix app use. The build quality on the Pre 3 is much better, the slider is smooth and solid, the keyboard much easier to type on. The autofocus camera works much better, I love using skype to video call family. The screen is not only larger physically, but the resolution is higher making everything look much better. As has been mentioned already, some apps aren't updated, so they look off. I think the battery life is much better (although that may have been due in part to the GPS Fix app running every 15 minutes). For me, no question, the Pre 3 is better & worth it. I would echo others here and look for an inexpensive Pre 2 and see how you like it. I went to the Pre+ from a Treo 700p, it was such a huge improvement in almost every area (except for the Calendar & Hotsync).
Old 11/04/2012, 10:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

My pre2 (frankenpre on sprint) is an absulute work horse. In fact the reason I have not gone the pre3 route is I see a lot more in the forums about pre3 problems then pre2
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 04:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

Ironically, I've been toying with the idea of giving up my Pre 2 and perhaps getting a Treo Pro or something
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
Old 11/04/2012, 06:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

Loved the treo keyboards. I still miss my centro sometimes
Old 11/04/2012, 07:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
Ironically, I've been toying with the idea of giving up my Pre 2 and perhaps getting a Treo Pro or something
Your pre2 giving you trouble?
Old 11/05/2012, 09:07 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Your pre2 giving you trouble?
Actually no, nothing outside of typical webOS-y-ness , I've just picked up a Treo 700w at a flea market, was playing with it and I kinda like how WM works (but the 700's lacked Wi-Fi), as opposed to more recent OSes. I don't really use my Pre 2 as much these days too. So I was thinking of changing things up a bit.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
Old 11/22/2012, 11:50 AM   #35 (permalink)

So i couldn't help myself and i bought a pre 3. My first impressions are really good. I really love webos but still i was pleasantly surprised at how well the pre works. It's very responsive, found out some new intersting apps and from many points i will be using it much more than my TP. Still have some digging to do to find out which apps/patches are a must for the pre. If only there were a few more apps available like a good pdf viewer that lets you modify the file, an app like bobsled on android that allows to make calls fro free (no linphone does not work for me) and stuff like that.

Still really happy with my new toy and hope there's more discovering left to do in the future.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 02:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
So i couldn't help myself and i bought a pre 3. My first impressions are really good. I really love webos but still i was pleasantly surprised at how well the pre works. It's very responsive, found out some new intersting apps and from many points i will be using it much more than my TP. Still have some digging to do to find out which apps/patches are a must for the pre. If only there were a few more apps available like a good pdf viewer that lets you modify the file, an app like bobsled on android that allows to make calls fro free (no linphone does not work for me) and stuff like that.

Still really happy with my new toy and hope there's more discovering left to do in the future.
Glad that you are happy with your Pre 3 so far. I've had my Pre 3 for over a year now and am still very happy with it. I have many patches installed on it but am running the stock kernel because the my Pre 3 has been very fast so there was never a need to over clock it. Just like you, when I was considering moving up from my Pre to the Pre 3 I was reading many negative posts on how there was freeze ups and TMC errors but wanting to stay with webOS I took the plunge and puchased a at&t Pre 3 and it is running on the at&t network month to month. Over a year now and not one freeze up or TMC, very dependable phone. I purchased an extra one for a backup but it still sitting on my closet shelf, lol. As far as apps go, meh, it has the basic apps that I need and as long as I can email, text, open up PDF's from email and make and receive calls, that's pretty much all I need from a smartphone. I have been running a Mugen 1400 battery and have modified my touchstones to mate better with my Pre 3. Enjoy your new toy
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 02:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

I find my Verizon Pre2 still to be an excellent phone. Probably the main reason I haven't decided to get a Pre3 is because the Pre2 can still run Classic and my needed Palm programs. I haven't heard many able to run Classic on the Pre3.

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
TimBoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 05:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Tim,

How in the world did you get classic. Did you buy it before they stopped selling & supporting it?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
Old 11/22/2012, 06:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
The Pre 3 is the BEST webOS phone you can buy. It's so good, in fact, that it's been the #1 webOS phone since it came out, and there's no end in sight. Actually, it's even better than that -- because it was so awesome, they decided there was absolutely no need to make any more webOS phones. That's right, the Pre 3 is so awesome, it will forever be the champ! But no, really, there is most likely no webOS phone around the corner. Get the Pre 3 and be happy!
Quote:

Amen! Gotta say... I LOVE my Pre3. I beat the hell out of the software. And have tweaked it like mad. (Starting to focus on things like cpu and memory resource management.)

But, my overall favorite part about it... I can pop open the hood whenever and have a look! I was able to fix the app db error thanks to that! (On Caltrain, of all places.)

Some day I'll do a nice little one year review of my Pre3.
Old 11/22/2012, 08:01 PM   #40 (permalink)

The pre3 is the only palm/hp phone since the treo line I have never laid eyes upon. If anyone lives in the miami area feel like just showing it to me I would appreciate it

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0