webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 Battery Life Problem
Pre 3 Battery Life Problem
Like Tree5Likes

Old 10/29/2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everyone, first post on webos nation. I recently found and purchased a Pre 3 on ebay (US AT&T).

Before making this read rest assure, I've read all other similar threads

I unlocked it, inserted T-Mobile sim, and set phone in to developer mode (I use Wifi Only). Used impostah to add my palm profile to account, everything synced but call/sms history.

I then installed preware, uberkernel, and govnah. I used the predefined ondemand 1.5xx ghz profile. I noticed the battery died very quick! Govnah was reporting some heavy draining 9.41 idle ~360-640 Ma and ~42 C

I kept the phone charging via microusb port as my touchstone gets the battery temp to ~50C. I let it sit overnight, took it to work next day (off charge 7:30 AM, died 3:30 PM) [Wifi off, Bluetooth off, modem on].

After getting back home doctored to 2.2.4, battery life still very poor. I installed Preware, Govnah, Uberkernel, Battery Monitor, Dr. Battery, Silent Powerd, Unthrottle Downloads, and Muffle Logs.

I then tested battery via Device Info>Tests. WebOS reported All green bars. I then used quick test, I received error 20 modem [I have No data] and error 25 wifi [I had not been connected to a network].

Battery Monitor results:
1>> (Wifi On Connected, Modem on) 7.1% Per Hour Idle
2>> (Wifi Off, Modem on) 6.41% Per Hour Idle

Dr. Battery:
1206mah/1218mah

So everyone, my question is how can I get my phone a full days usage? I can't even pass a work day on idle without the phone needing charge. I really hoped Pixi+ >> Pre3 would be an upgrade , so far all I've had was heartache with my new Pre 3. Any help would be appreciated.
eJimmyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

i only use the Pre3 for phone and sms.

like this it lasts 2 days and more on a charge.

as soon as i turn on data the bat just drains like my first beer after a hard working day...hahaha
untungrugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pre2323 likes this.
Old 10/30/2012, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wish I could get through a full day with phone and sms, so far its getting harder to like my pre 3. Thinking about switching back to my pixi+ :O
Old 10/30/2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJimmyJJ View Post
I can't even pass a work day on idle without the phone needing charge.
7%/h = 14h runtime (idle) how long do you work?
Old 10/30/2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Right. Before I start, I've not got any hard and fast answers as there are a lot of variables involved, not least of which being how strong the cell signal is where you spend most of your day. I live in a bit of a dip so the signal is constantly weak so the phone is using power to boost the signal.

Having said that, the following might help you

1) Reduce logging to minimal. It depends on your network but you should be able to key something like #*5647* (LOGS) into the phone app. Search the forums before you try it as it's slightly different for GSM, CDMA, and your country. Some people have said that the muffle logs patch doesn't work all that well on the pre3

2) You might want to lose uberkernel. I've got it installed currently, but some people have reported better battery life with the stock kernel. Keep Govnah though as you can still use it to control scaling. If you still use uberkernel, ensure that screenstate enable is set to true - this will scale down the processor when the screen is off which helps a *lot*. Some people have also reported that setting the I/O scheduler to anticipatory and the TCP congestion method to westwood helps. I won't pretend to fully understand what either of those are, but it's worth a try. Also save any changed settings as a new Govnah profile - I find that they don't really take if you modify an existing one. Turn compressed swap off as that will use processor cycles.

3) You might want to add the Remove dropped packet logging patch to your list,

4) In the wifi preferences there's an option to turn wifi off when the screen is off. This hasn't helped me too much on my Pre3 as I have background stuff going all the time (more on that in a moment) but this feature makes my touchpad last for nearly two weeks.

5) Modeswitcher from Preware.It takes a bit of setting up, but you can make it so that wifi and data (in fact anything) are only enabled on a timed basis and/or when certain apps are in the foreground. Modeswitcher is extraordinarily flexible and can help a lot. For instance, set all your mail accounts to retrieve mail manually, then have a "Data On" mode that changes them to "As mail arrives" for a minute every hour. There's a thread in there forums called All day battery with modeswitcher or similar.

6) You should probably download JStop too. Your phone is running waaay too warm, which would suggest to me some other processes were running and heating things up. Do you use sites with Flash on them? That's a killer. My phone rarely gets above 40 degrees, and typically runs between 20 and 30, weather depending. Also try to charge with the keyboard open to help dissipate the heat.

I'm currently down to around 4-5% drain per hour, but I'm still experimenting. Sometimes I go on holiday to a place where I know there's no mobile signal, so I go to aeroplane mode then turn on wifi and the pre3 lasts nearly a week like that.

I'm envious of your AT&T's 16Mb storage - in the UK we only got 8Mb ones.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode likes this.
Old 10/30/2012, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi,

i've not the answer, but is it the same thing without any patch or specific kernel ?
Because my wife Pre3' without data or wifi is ok only for a maximum of 10hours !
So lastly i decided to clean it completely.

And for around 2 or 3 days, the battery was like before : 2-3 days without chargind, really good.

And i've found a lot of people on the internet with the same problem for their Pre3.

Currently i've no solution ...

Regards
guigui75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
7%/h = 14h runtime (idle) how long do you work?
The battery monitor tests are after I doctored my device. I had wifi on, with my all of my accounts synced.
After doctoring I did not register my palm profile, and had backups set to off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
Right. Before I start, I've not got any hard and fast answers as there are a lot of variables involved, not least of which being how strong the cell signal is where you spend most of your day. I live in a bit of a dip so the signal is constantly weak so the phone is using power to boost the signal.

Having said that, the following might help you

1) Reduce logging to minimal. It depends on your network but you should be able to key something like #*5647* (LOGS) into the phone app. Search the forums before you try it as it's slightly different for GSM, CDMA, and your country. Some people have said that the muffle logs patch doesn't work all that well on the pre3

2) You might want to lose uberkernel. I've got it installed currently, but some people have reported better battery life with the stock kernel. Keep Govnah though as you can still use it to control scaling. If you still use uberkernel, ensure that screenstate enable is set to true - this will scale down the processor when the screen is off which helps a *lot*. Some people have also reported that setting the I/O scheduler to anticipatory and the TCP congestion method to westwood helps. I won't pretend to fully understand what either of those are, but it's worth a try. Also save any changed settings as a new Govnah profile - I find that they don't really take if you modify an existing one. Turn compressed swap off as that will use processor cycles.

3) You might want to add the Remove dropped packet logging patch to your list,

4) In the wifi preferences there's an option to turn wifi off when the screen is off. This hasn't helped me too much on my Pre3 as I have background stuff going all the time (more on that in a moment) but this feature makes my touchpad last for nearly two weeks.

5) Modeswitcher from Preware.It takes a bit of setting up, but you can make it so that wifi and data (in fact anything) are only enabled on a timed basis and/or when certain apps are in the foreground. Modeswitcher is extraordinarily flexible and can help a lot. For instance, set all your mail accounts to retrieve mail manually, then have a "Data On" mode that changes them to "As mail arrives" for a minute every hour. There's a thread in there forums called All day battery with modeswitcher or similar.

6) You should probably download JStop too. Your phone is running waaay too warm, which would suggest to me some other processes were running and heating things up. Do you use sites with Flash on them? That's a killer. My phone rarely gets above 40 degrees, and typically runs between 20 and 30, weather depending. Also try to charge with the keyboard open to help dissipate the heat.

I'm currently down to around 4-5% drain per hour, but I'm still experimenting. Sometimes I go on holiday to a place where I know there's no mobile signal, so I go to aeroplane mode then turn on wifi and the pre3 lasts nearly a week like that.

I'm envious of your AT&T's 16Mb storage - in the UK we only got 8Mb ones.
Currently I haven't tried 1,2,4 or 5 yet. From what I've read on forums it seems that the AT&T model has an inferior back cover to the UK (possibly why touchstone heating issues are occurring). I'll update after giving a good go on your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui75 View Post
Hi,

i've not the answer, but is it the same thing without any patch or specific kernel ?
Because my wife Pre3' without data or wifi is ok only for a maximum of 10hours !
So lastly i decided to clean it completely.

And for around 2 or 3 days, the battery was like before : 2-3 days without chargind, really good.

And i've found a lot of people on the internet with the same problem for their Pre3.

Currently i've no solution ...

Regards
Sorry, I can't say for sure which version it was running before the doctor. I believe it was ATT 2.2.3, had issues with both palm/uberkernel.
I believe the doctoring the device helped some at first, however after re-adding my palm profile and letting it sync proved otherwise. I've actually seen 720 ma being consumed constantly LOL!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll try and update asap
Old 02/11/2013, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry I've taken so long to post. The last month I have been using a brand new Pre 3 battery [OEM], however I still am getting no more than 10 hours completely idle. I completely wiped all my data, then used WebOS doctor to restore to 2.2.4.

Is it my phone? On device info, it says my phone is a "Model A", does anyone else with a Model A suffer this issue?

Sold my Pixi+ and may just wind up tossing the damn thing on ebay too lol.

It seems as if 1/3 people have this issue no matter what they do with their Pre's, there must be a way to fully format the device, copy recovery partition, then WebOS doctor.
Old 02/11/2013, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm. FWIW on my Pre 3, I average about 5%/hr with typical use. That's use/non-use combined. Standby at home with WiFi+cell turned on, it only loses maybe 5% while I'm asleep if not charging.

It does drop like a rock when in use. More so using cell data. But 7%/hour standing still with no active data is pretty dramatic.

The calibration seems wonky to me too, compared to the Pre 2. There's no fixing it with Dr. Battery. Might doing some uninterrupted full charge/discharge cycles might help sort false % readings? Some have said they get to 0% then still get 2 more hours.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

always strange hearing people losing heaps of battery esp when idle, i cant help but think thats theres a rogue app/process somewhere or something like email polling for updates non stop or god knows what else, on idle i can leave my pre3 literally weeks without charging it.
Old 02/11/2013, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Hmm. FWIW on my Pre 3, I average about 5%/hr with typical use. That's use/non-use combined. Standby at home with WiFi+cell turned on, it only loses maybe 5% while I'm asleep if not charging.

It does drop like a rock when in use. More so using cell data. But 7%/hour standing still with no active data is pretty dramatic.

The calibration seems wonky to me too, compared to the Pre 2. There's no fixing it with Dr. Battery. Might doing some uninterrupted full charge/discharge cycles might help sort false % readings? Some have said they get to 0% then still get 2 more hours.
I've made sure to allow my new battery to cycle properly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
always strange hearing people losing heaps of battery esp when idle, i cant help but think thats theres a rogue app/process somewhere or something like email polling for updates non stop or god knows what else, on idle i can leave my pre3 literally weeks without charging it.
That's what I am thinking as well. The problem is I've tried wiping all my data, then doctoring the device. Even in developer mode (no profile activated, wifi off, data off, and good reception), my Pre would still drop quickly in idle mode. (After reactivating my account I still saw no difference in consumption, which is odd)

I am positive the batteries are not at fault, the "generic" battery uses the same cells as the OEM one and both are at full rated capacity.

Nothing fixes the issue, be it patches or through manual email pushing. Perhaps Model A devices were shipped with this "rogue app/process" bug. WebOS doctor doesn't seem to do the job... I'd really like to wipe the entire storage, including the recovery partition. I don't want to brick the thing though
Old 02/12/2013, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

The doctor wipes everything, but media/internal. What ever was a rogue process is erased. Your issue can be a few things:

-Synergy is getting a good workout with all your contacts/calendars.
-If you let a game sit at idle in the background, it will still suck up a lot of CPU power.
-The screen does suck up a lot of juice, and if you have the brightness jacked up to max, that's a lot of power used lighting it up.
-The stock kernel, in my experience, is miserable. It throttles the CPU down too low and makes it work way too hard, sucking up more power than with faster speeds. I personally like to bring up the min CPU speed to 768, and use 1.2 as my max. I can go all day with this as my main settings.
-You simply have too much running at once, overtaxing the CPU.

Again, if the discharge rate is high, the only way it would be hardware is if there was a short, which probably would be noticeable in some other way. Otherwise, it's software, and it's all in the settings and how you use the device. 1.4 GHz requires a lot of juice, and running under max loads on low speeds isn't better either. That's why it's important to balance things, either by use of Uberkernel & Govnah and by making sure you aren't using it like your desktop.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
The doctor wipes everything, but media/internal. What ever was a rogue process is erased. Your issue can be a few things:

-Synergy is getting a good workout with all your contacts/calendars.
-If you let a game sit at idle in the background, it will still suck up a lot of CPU power.
-The screen does suck up a lot of juice, and if you have the brightness jacked up to max, that's a lot of power used lighting it up.
-The stock kernel, in my experience, is miserable. It throttles the CPU down too low and makes it work way too hard, sucking up more power than with faster speeds. I personally like to bring up the min CPU speed to 768, and use 1.2 as my max. I can go all day with this as my main settings.
-You simply have too much running at once, overtaxing the CPU.

Again, if the discharge rate is high, the only way it would be hardware is if there was a short, which probably would be noticeable in some other way. Otherwise, it's software, and it's all in the settings and how you use the device. 1.4 GHz requires a lot of juice, and running under max loads on low speeds isn't better either. That's why it's important to balance things, either by use of Uberkernel & Govnah and by making sure you aren't using it like your desktop.
Hmm, from what you've stated I should have excellent battery life

My brightness is set to 35%.
My phone is consuming 8-12% per hour idle, without any applications open using Uberkernel from the preware feeds. I have data off, and sync set to manual for every account. The only time I open wifi is to perform a weekly backup or to check an email without having to move to my PC.

Many people suffer the same issue, I've read many threads and seen the same symptoms. No matter what I do this phone kills the battery! :@

I'm clueless as to what could be the problem then.. Maybe the chipset firmware is to blame?
Old 02/13/2013, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

So you have the device completely off of wifi then, with no other connections like bluetooth on, correct? Has the phone radio been turned off? If the phone radio is on, with 3G active, a weak signal will drain your battery pretty badly. Even with everything on manual, the data connection is still active. The phone still needs to maintain that connection and will occasionally use it. How's your reception, bad? Does leaving wifi on help? I know my Pixi would have some pretty decent drain when I use to commute to New York on the train, with the constant connection interruptions. Another good thing to check is your drain with airplane mode enabled. Obviously with airplane mode on, your drain will be very low.
Old 02/13/2013, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds unusual, my pre 1,2 and 3 would last nearly 2 days, in fact my second pre 3 running uberkernal lasts 2 days easy but my usage is light.

Gmail on as soon as items arrive and I mostly send a few texts everyday. 3G is on everything else off WiFi etc.

Phone is probably only on its 4th charge cycle since I got it.

Remove any battery polling apps as they may drain the battery

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi i am using pre 3 UK version std firmware, battery consumption is 2% in 1 1/2 hours on standby,
cellular is set to 2g and data on, no wi-fi , all e mails messages come through but slowly, when i am working/ sleeping,led alerts me, only use 3g for internet then switch off, lasts 1 day +, even longer if data off,
brilliant phone. hope this helps.
merlin29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
So you have the device completely off of wifi then, with no other connections like bluetooth on, correct? Has the phone radio been turned off? If the phone radio is on, with 3G active, a weak signal will drain your battery pretty badly. Even with everything on manual, the data connection is still active. The phone still needs to maintain that connection and will occasionally use it. How's your reception, bad? Does leaving wifi on help? I know my Pixi would have some pretty decent drain when I use to commute to New York on the train, with the constant connection interruptions. Another good thing to check is your drain with airplane mode enabled. Obviously with airplane mode on, your drain will be very low.
As I am with T-Mobile, I have all cellular data disabled from the phone>>preferences menu. I have bluetooth and wifi off, I may turn on wifi for a couple of minutes or so in the day to check a webpage.

I left home at 7:00 am, 100%% charge. All of my synergy accounts are set to manual refresh, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off, cellular data off.
I only turned on the display several times to check the clock.
By 3:30 pm, my battery was at 12% (I did not make out any calls, sent and received 7 text messages).
I've doctored several times since I bought my Pre 3, there are no known power hungry applications installed on it.

I've tried enabling airplane mode, for some reason it has little effect on battery life.

All I know is:
1 - Cannot be the battery, I have two excellent condition batteries that work as they should.
2 - Cannot be gmail/calendar, I've doctored several times without enabling my synergy accounts to see whether or not I would suffer drain. No luck.
3 - Common patches that help preserve battery life have had little to no impact.
4 - Even in idle state, airplane mode, my longest cycle has been 7.4 hours
5 - I am using T-Mobile, I have used the same carrier on my Pre+, Pixi Plus, and Veer. They all exhibit far superior battery life. (2 days idle or more, my Pixi+ will last 3 hours on 0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
Sounds unusual, my pre 1,2 and 3 would last nearly 2 days, in fact my second pre 3 running uberkernal lasts 2 days easy but my usage is light.

Gmail on as soon as items arrive and I mostly send a few texts everyday. 3G is on everything else off WiFi etc.

Phone is probably only on its 4th charge cycle since I got it.

Remove any battery polling apps as they may drain the battery

Barry
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin29 View Post
Hi i am using pre 3 UK version std firmware, battery consumption is 2% in 1 1/2 hours on standby,
cellular is set to 2g and data on, no wi-fi , all e mails messages come through but slowly, when i am working/ sleeping,led alerts me, only use 3g for internet then switch off, lasts 1 day +, even longer if data off,
brilliant phone. hope this helps.
I don't have any battery polling apps installed at the moment, and I've got gmail set to manual. I too only send a few texts, I haven't been able to rely on my Pre 3 for skype so I removed my account and use my TP.

I don't know what can persist several full data wipes and doctors, even a new Palm account :S
Old 02/14/2013, 03:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Have you tried it with a different carrier sim, if you can in the US? Maybe worth a shot or even just run the phone with no SIM for a bit.

See how that goes.

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 08:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have an AT&T Pre 3 on AT&T in Oklahoma. Network is pretty spotty but overall passable. It is the stock webos with no modifications or altered settings of any kind. I tested my battery overnight, having charged it on my touchstone to 100% before midnight and took it off to sit until I woke up. By morning, it was at something like 20%.
Since reading this thread, I have put all my email sync on 1 hour and disabled wifi when screen is off. Woke up in the middle of the night about 3am and took the phone off the touchstone. Three hours later, it was still at 100%. Made a phone call, checked email, sent a text. checked traffic (on People finder not maps) and checked battery repeatedly until just after 8am and the battery was at 92%. For me, that is very good. I am now very optimistic.
Next, I will install preware and govnah and see how well that helps (probably will add uberkernel as well).

update: for the last 2 hours, i have downloaded an app (with very bad data connection), reviewed several emails, downloaded a couple of large images off facebook, shared said pictures with several friends (lots of screen active time), played 10-15 minutes of games, a couple of phone calls and received a couple of texts, and it used 23% more power. For all it did, that still does not seem unreasonable. maybe it will stay in my pocket a bit more for the afternoon and we will see where it is.

another update: took the phone off the charger at around 3am and did nothing with it until 9am. It was down to 70%, so that is about 5% per hour, but that is not consistant. Even with the initial drain in the morning, it still seems to last the day, unless I want to use it for a lot of calls and data, then I must charge it while at work. However, I do not see that it is much worse than my samsung s3 on at&t. my coworkers say they have to use a special app to turn off various radios while in their pockets and it still uses more than 1% per hour, even with this tool, and their battery is like twice the capacity of the pre3. So, not certain it is all together out of line with competition. That said, 7% consistently used when not using it - you better have some touchstones lying around and enjoy that aspect of the pre design.

Last edited by syeager; 02/17/2013 at 04:07 PM.
syeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 01:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJimmyJJ View Post
As I am with T-Mobile, I have all cellular data disabled from the phone>>preferences menu.
However, the phone radio is functioning. I don't know how T-Mo handles voice, but AT&T will through it over UTMS. If T-Mo does the same, and you area recently had 3G transferred to 1900 MHz, this could be the problem. Does forcing your phone to 2G help?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0