Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    OK, I have a new observation. I went ahead and installed preware, uberkernel, and govnah. I used numerous optimizations for logging and other patches. The results are amazing.

I took my phone off the touchstone at just after 8am, used it mildly (half dozen phone calls, couple of texts, watched some videos via wifi, ran a game or two, checked weather app, and continually evaluated battery life) and when I went to bed ad midnight, the battery was at 65%! That is 16 hours and 35% usage for just over 2% per hour with usage. So, I left the phone off the charger and looked at it at 6 hours later and it was at 57%! that is 8% in 6 hours for 1.3% per hour. I have a friend with an Samsung Galaxy S3 that when adding a power saver app gets at best just over 1% per hour usage - so, since its battery is almost twice the size of a pre3 battery, that is effectively almost twice as good.

So, I don't know if it is a hardware issue (mine is rev A) or if the battery is good (Dr. Battery claims it is at full strength of 1218) or if I just have a great combination of patches and software running, but this is more than acceptable.

I will charge when I have to and see what a full day of solid usage affects my battery usage.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syeager View Post
    OK, I have a new observation. I went ahead and installed preware, uberkernel, and govnah. I used numerous optimizations for logging and other patches. The results are amazing.

I took my phone off the touchstone at just after 8am, used it mildly (half dozen phone calls, couple of texts, watched some videos via wifi, ran a game or two, checked weather app, and continually evaluated battery life) and when I went to bed ad midnight, the battery was at 65%! That is 16 hours and 35% usage for just over 2% per hour with usage. So, I left the phone off the charger and looked at it at 6 hours later and it was at 57%! that is 8% in 6 hours for 1.3% per hour. I have a friend with an Samsung Galaxy S3 that when adding a power saver app gets at best just over 1% per hour usage - so, since its battery is almost twice the size of a pre3 battery, that is effectively almost twice as good.

So, I don't know if it is a hardware issue (mine is rev A) or if the battery is good (Dr. Battery claims it is at full strength of 1218) or if I just have a great combination of patches and software running, but this is more than acceptable.

I will charge when I have to and see what a full day of solid usage affects my battery usage.
    I've got 2 batteries, one generic and the other oem. Dr. Battery claims they are 100% as well. I too have a Model A device.

I've been getting decent battery life after 2 doctors.

Are you on 2.2.4 (AT&T)?
    Last edited by eJimmyJJ; 04/10/2013 at 12:24 AM.
    OK, maybe this might help someone.

I have been enjoying good battery performance for several days, but just ran into something awful. My phone was pleasantly at 91% after 4 hours of light use and doing well. Then, about 2 hours later, I look at my phone and it is down to 71%. It could not find an at&t signal and was searching for one. I checked with several other at&t users and their signals were weak but still registering. After a few minutes and a couple more percentage points, it still could not find a signal, so I powered down and restarted. It found a weak signal and from there, I have gone 2 hours with a couple of calls and 5% battery drain (back to about 2.5% per hour).

So apparently, a lost signal is killer to this phone. I thought that was unique for the most part to my old Sprint phone and cdma, but apparently gms sucks the battery as well. maybe not as much as a cdma phone but more than i expected.

hope this helps.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Yep, a weak signal will run the best battery down very quickly because the phone is always serching for a signal. My Pre 3 is an at&t version and is on the at&t network with a strong signal everywhere (SoCal) and my battery life on my Pre 3 has always been very good. I used the Battery Moniter app and let my phone run overnight idling with the screen off and this is what I came up with, a little over 1/2 percent per hour. Email set to check every 15 minutes with the wifi on. Also, running the stock Palm kernel and a ton of patches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OK, the saga continues. After a couple of days recently of having just wonderful battery life, including a day of some decent usage and still having over 50% battery by the end of the day, I have had some poor days. At about midnight, my phone was fully charged. I took it off and let it set all night. By just after 6am, it was down to 37%, which was just under 10% an hour. I had to charge it back to 100% before leaving for work. Had some decent usage on the way to work, so I was not surprised to see it at 90% within an hour or so. But the next hour of little to no usage was still draining the battery over 10% per hour.

I have rebooted my phone to see if there is something wrong with how it is initializing something (big guess). During the past day of drastic power drain, I did not notice any weak or bad signals - in fact, it was often a good signal.

I will update this post later today with any new results.

Update: after rebooting the phone, my battery registered 77%. I started the battery monitor app, which seemed to report a 10% drop per hour. I went to lunch at the cafeteria, which is infamous for its bad reception, and came back to my desk, and after 30 minutes, it reported a 5+% drop per hour, and after an hour its reporting a 3+% drop per hour. Seems to be averaging out. It is now at 73% visually, or about 4% per hour. Seems to have settled down some. Not certain what is going on or if this is something that also happens to other phones. Very curious. I will update later today to see if it is truly back to normal.
    Last edited by syeager; 03/05/2013 at 12:09 PM.
    For me it is always the process tacts.linker.jsjsjs $that$ $uses$ $the$ $CPU$ $a$ $lot$, $and$ $hence$ $drains$ $the$ $battery$. $This$ $process$ $is$ $especially$ $running$ $after$ $I$ $get$ $online$ $with$ $my$ $gmail$ $messaging$ $account$. $Looks$ $like$ $messenger$ $downloads$ $all$ ($gtalk$) $contacts$ $and$ $starts$ $matching$ $them$ $with$ $my$ $existing$ $contacts$.
    Update: I did some more testing using the battery app, one at home with wifi on and one out of town using 4G. While my Pre was using 4G it used a little more but not much .61 of a percent per hour as opposed to .5 of a percent per hour on my homes wifi network. I travel a lot in the tri state area (CA, AZ & NV) and my battery life of my Pre 3 has always been good, even after a long day I am still in the 70 percent range. I am not a heavy user though, just texting, reading emails and phone calls. Here are my results measuring battery drain a idle with email set a 3 accounts for checking every 15 minutes and GPS set to on. One thing I can say is when using a navagation app while driving, I always have my phone charging because the nav apps are huge battery sappers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ok, after 2 days of lots of use and an average of about 5% per hour, my phone is still lasting all day but is very low on power by the end.

Today, I finally left the phone on the charger all night, and removed it when I got up at about 6:30 and with minimal to no usage for 6 hours, it has only used 7% total, or about 1.2% per hour. Much better.

All in all, it seems a therapeutic reboot is occasionally called for. It also SEEMS like it likes to charge all night. However, there are inconsistencies I cannot account for. So, from now on, if the battery seems to be draining unusually quickly, I will restart it and see.
    I had a fast battery drain for a week (6-7% hour while idle), without anything new installed, so I thought it was my battery who committed seppuku. I tried another battery of a friend but same behaviour. So I decided it was the time to meet the Doctor.
    Now I'm back to <1% /hour while idle. Life is beautiful again
    Strangely, my Pre3 has been draining ridiculously quickly for the last week. I normally get to midnight with about 15-20% left but yesterday I ran out at 2pm!

I haven't installed anything new either recently, so I've tried switching some options off (wifi, bluetooth, gps etc.) and I noticed the phone's 3g/2g data seems to be the culprit.

I may decide to doctor too, although it's always a pain having to restore all the little bits and bobs missed by WebOS and Save/Restore!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Strangely, my Pre3 has been draining ridiculously quickly for the last week. I normally get to midnight with about 15-20% left but yesterday I ran out at 2pm!

I haven't installed anything new either recently, so I've tried switching some options off (wifi, bluetooth, gps etc.) and I noticed the phone's 3g/2g data seems to be the culprit.

I may decide to doctor too, although it's always a pain having to restore all the little bits and bobs missed by WebOS and Save/Restore!
    If 2G/3G is suddenly a problem I'd look around the interwebz and make some calls. It might be your carrier adjusting equipment at towers in your area, A trip to the Doctor won't solve that...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Some have had issues with 3G reseting their phones. Perhaps this is a new problem along those lines?
    Just a detail: when my Pre 3 is very hot, I leave out of charge (no USB cable nor Touchstone) to wait the temperature low...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I was having a few issues with WiFi not choosing the strongest signal too, so I decided to doctor (as mentioned by bigdoby) and now all seems to be working well again! 20:30 and I'm still on 55% charge!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    bigdoby likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to get a terminal view while running doctor? Thanks
    Last edited by eJimmyJJ; 04/10/2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eJimmyJJ View Post
    I would really like to know how to see what Doctor is really going through while resetting my phone, maybe it is skipping an important process or something..

Does anyone know how to get a terminal view while running doctor? Thanks
    that's easy enough, instead of double click on the doctor jar, you just open a terminal (in linux) and write java -jar webosdoctor_XXXXX.jar (put the correct doctor name here)
    In windows I think it's probably the same or at least very similar.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdoby View Post
    that's easy enough, instead of double click on the doctor jar, you just open a terminal (in linux) and write java -jar webosdoctor_XXXXX.jar (put the correct doctor name here)
    In windows I think it's probably the same or at least very similar.
    Thanks!
    Hello there!

I just recently experienced this problem of mine. I just bought an hp pre 3. When I plug the charger of my phone, it started opening applications without touching the screen. When I removed the charger, it stopped. Have you experienced this? Does this ruin my phone?

Thanky you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Salegumba View Post
    Hello there!

I just recently experienced this problem of mine. I just bought an hp pre 3. When I plug the charger of my phone, it started opening applications without touching the screen. When I removed the charger, it stopped. Have you experienced this? Does this ruin my phone?

Thanky you!
    Was the device used or brand new? There are homebrew programs that can do things that you have described... also doctoring the phone may help if it is a software glitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Was the device used or brand new? There are homebrew programs that can do things that you have described... also doctoring the phone may help if it is a software glitch.
    It's new. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12