webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > How to change/ modify / alterate AT&T US into a German Pre 3 ???
How to change/ modify / alterate AT&T US into a German Pre 3 ???

Old 10/29/2012, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi Community
I do own an AT&T US 16 GB modell with a English language WebOs and would like to replace/ modify /alterate the WebOS into a German language WebOs.
If there is somebody who can give me a step by step introduction I would very much appreciate that.

Thanks in advance!
maatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think the easiest way is to doctor the phone using the EU version of webOS 2.2.x, do a quick search on how to do this, it's quite easy n it should (don't quote me) be safe. That will give you german language options and a bit more space.

Planning on doing it myself soon (just to have more space tbh) if you want to wait for results
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: maatko
Old 10/29/2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
I think the easiest way is to doctor the phone using the EU version of webOS 2.2.x, do a quick search on how to do this, it's quite easy n it should (don't quote me) be safe. That will give you german language options and a bit more space.

Planning on doing it myself soon (just to have more space tbh) if you want to wait for results
Thanks webOS nomad will wait for you due I would be really a newbie in something like this. Maybe you can give me after your experience a step by step introduction. Again thanks in advance!
Old 11/04/2012, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maatko View Post
Thanks webOS nomad will wait for you due I would be really a newbie in something like this. Maybe you can give me after your experience a step by step introduction. Again thanks in advance!
Hi webosNomad any news? Greetings!
Old 11/04/2012, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lade dir hier den Doctor herunter, lade dein Pre 3 voll auf, starte den Doctor und folge den Bildschirmanweisungen.

Das Gerät wird dabei komplett zurückgesetzt.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
Lade dir hier den Doctor herunter, lade dein Pre 3 voll auf, starte den Doctor und folge den Bildschirmanweisungen.

Das Gerät wird dabei komplett zurückgesetzt.
Wich Doctor shall I download, this is is an US AT&T Pre 3 with 16GB, that means I have to complete erase the US version of the webOS and replace it by a German webOS version. Are you sure it works as easy as you described it? Sorry to questioning you but I don't like to turn my device to "Briefbeschwerer" paperweight.
Old 11/05/2012, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Wich Doctor shall I download, this is is an US AT&T Pre 3 with 16GB, that means I have to complete erase the US version of the webOS and replace it by a German webOS version. Are you sure it works as easy as you described it? Sorry to questioning you but I don't like to turn my device to "Briefbeschwerer" paperweight.
The "wich" I already seen in your post, sorry for that, but still does it really work so easy out.
Old 11/05/2012, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
The "wich" I already seen in your post, sorry for that, but still does it really work so easy out.
No. It is not that easy.

The Doctor for European Pre 3 will not install on North American Pre 3. You will get an "Incorrect Model" error and the Doctor will not run...

There is a build script in Meta-Doctor for AT&T Pre 3 to impersonate the WR version (That would allow the North American version to flash the European Doctor.)

I suggest a trip to webOS Internals to read up on Meta-Doctoring. Application:MetaDoctor-DE - WebOS Internals
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: maatko
Old 11/05/2012, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
No. It is not that easy.

The Doctor for European Pre 3 will not install on North American Pre 3. You will get an "Incorrect Model" error and the Doctor will not run...

There is a build script in Meta-Doctor for AT&T Pre 3 to impersonate the WR version (That would allow the North American version to flash the European Doctor.)

I suggest a trip to webOS Internals to read up on Meta-Doctoring. Application:MetaDoctor-DE - WebOS Internals
Jee thats really complicated! It is a step by step explanation but still a lot which can go wrong! Is there anybody in Germany or Switzerland who can do that for me and has some experience?
Old 11/05/2012, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Jee thats really complicated! It is a step by step explanation but still a lot which can go wrong! Is there anybody in Germany or Switzerland who can do that for me and has some experience?
It is a lot... I'm just starting to learn Meta-Doctoring.

My first attempt was a fail. I tried to use the script that adds Touch to Share to my Veer 2.1.2 and it broke the bluetooth connection I had established with TouchPad. I had to Doctor back to the original. I'll try again though - I was in a hurry the first time and might have ran past an error message.

All in all it is a good learning experience... Not a quick fix by any means. Still, I look at it as something worth learning how to do correctly that will give me a better understanding of my device and how webOS works.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry, been working my rear off, will look into it when I have more time
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0