View Poll Results: Has your Pre3 ever spontaneously restarted after closing the keyboard?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, frequently

    5 11.90%
  • Yes, but only once or rarely

    9 21.43%
  • No, never

    28 66.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaidoloor View Post
    I have experienced Pre3 random resets and it seems to relate to some homebrew patches. So the doctoring helped. Until I forgot about it, and applied some pathes again, getting to random resets agains. So doctored again, and now ok.

    Kaido
    Doctered about a month ago, no help. But after switching SIMs back and forth (travelling), the random restrats have disappeared.

    br,

    Kaido
  2. #22  
    Maybe once a month or so over the past six months, but yes. Opening or closing, sometimes just out of the blue I'd just have the screen freeze and do a weird digtally fade to black and then reboot. It was so eerily similar to the loose battery issues I had with my first Pre that I knew instantly what it was, bat it happened so infrequently I never really worried about it.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. #23  
    I, too, have a problem but not the aforementioned.
    Depending upon how I hold the screen when opening, the volume bars pop up and register a decrease. Other strange things appear to happen depending upon how I'm touching the screen etc.

    My assumption is that there's a ribbon cable connecting screen & main body and this is possibly working loose or more likely has become a little worn and causing intermittent contact with something else, resulting in incorrect keycodes being sent!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auld-Yin View Post
    I, too, have a problem but not the aforementioned.
    Depending upon how I hold the screen when opening, the volume bars pop up and register a decrease. Other strange things appear to happen depending upon how I'm touching the screen etc.

    My assumption is that there's a ribbon cable connecting screen & main body and this is possibly working loose or more likely has become a little worn and causing intermittent contact with something else, resulting in incorrect keycodes being sent!
    The aforementioned seems to be caused by the battery breaking contact as a result of the inertia on the phone chassis of sliding it open/closed.

    There are actual 'cables' (as opposed to ribbon cables) connecting the screen to the main PCB - see pic.
    Perhaps your connector is 'loose'?

    However there was also this: Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?)

    Maybe your issue is somehow also related?

    Attached Images Attached Images

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    ananimus likes this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Maybe once a month or so over the past six months, but yes. Opening or closing, sometimes just out of the blue I'd just have the screen freeze and do a weird digtally fade to black and then reboot. It was so eerily similar to the loose battery issues I had with my first Pre that I knew instantly what it was, bat it happened so infrequently I never really worried about it.
    Hmm... I've definitely had this... I've been blaming a bug in the Qualcomm modem stuff... But, maybe it is hardware... I should pay attention to what I am doing when I get the system in that state, and write it down?
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    ...However there was also this: Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?)

    Maybe your issue is somehow also related?

    Thanks for the link.
    Seems identical to my fault.
  7. Noremacam's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bricia View Post
    I have the same issue. I have noticed that if i close with force it reset automatically. But if i close the keyboard softly it work well. I think that it can be caused by battery that move itself in the phone when i close it fast and with force.
    Any other have this issue??
    I had this exact same problem with my pre 2, and it turned out it was the battery. Once I replaced the battery, the problem went away.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremacam View Post
    I had this exact same problem with my pre 2, and it turned out it was the battery. Once I replaced the battery, the problem went away.
    Yes, probably the old battery connections had become 'slack'.

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/02/2013 at 04:34 PM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    After installing the new battery and snapping the slider closed several dozen times, I'm unable to force a reset.

    Given that I didn't experience the reset until 5 months after I bought my Pre3, I'm definitely beginning to suspect that the contacts on the HP batteries somehow loosen up over time until the reset problem begins. Given that not all Pre3s exhibit this, however, I further suspect that there's some variation in the manufacturing outcome that makes some handsets susceptible to this while others aren't.

    Of course, if it turns out that the reset issue never returns with the new battery, then I'm going to blame it all on variability in battery manufacture.
    After 6 weeks with the new battery, still no slider-closing-related resets!

    Like Derek, though, I've had two "out of the blue" resets during that time (see post 22), with no discernable pattern or even a good theory on why they occurred. I can't remember if this ever happened on any of my Pre+s, but I think it did happen on my Treo 650 (a totally useless recollection, of course).

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions