Is there any way to force the Pre3 to use data only over a WiFi connection?

I know I can just turn off data entirely in the phone preferences, but I would like to still be able to send/receive MMS messages.

On Android, I've read that is possible to only specify only a valid APN for MMS and without an internet APN and the phone will only use wifi for everything else.

Is this possible? Or will WebOS continually issue error messages every time it tries to access data when the wifi is not connected?

Thanks
    (Doubt that it matters, but if it does, my provider is AT&T.)
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    RumoredNow, I think you misread or posted the wrong link??
    The OP wants to use wifi only for all data, with the exception of being able to send MMS messages at any time.
    Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    RumoredNow, I think you misread or posted the wrong link??
    The OP wants to use wifi only for all data, with the exception of being able to send MMS messages at any time.
    Ben
    As I reread this I don't think the OP was very clear on this... not saying you are wrong, but there is much left to interpretation in the OP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I think the OP wants to receive MMS over WiFi instead of cellular data. I'm not familiar with MMS. Is it SMS plus attachments, something that uses its own devices instead of mobile data, or like push email?
    Sorry for the confusion.

As "benh" surmised, I want to receive all data over WiFi with the exception of multimedia messaging service messages (MMS).

I don't have an unlimited data plan and I currently just turn off all "data" on the phone. The problem is that I cannot received MMS messages when I do this. I can still receive normal SMS (short message service) messages as they do not use cellular data.

For MMS messages, there is a different access point name (APN) than for other internet traffic. On android, I read that one can set up the phone to only have an APN setting for MMS and the phone will then only attempt to use WiFi for all other data needs.

It wasn't clear what WebOS would do if the APN for internet usage is blank or if the proxy address is intentionally screwed up etc..

Thanks
    Guess I scanned the OP too quickly and read SMS over WiFi... Ooops.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr2U View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.

As "benh" surmised, I want to receive all data over WiFi with the exception of multimedia messaging service messages (MMS).

I don't have an unlimited data plan and I currently just turn off all "data" on the phone. The problem is that I cannot received MMS messages when I do this. I can still receive normal SMS (short message service) messages as they do not use cellular data.

For MMS messages, there is a different access point name (APN) than for other internet traffic. On android, I read that one can set up the phone to only have an APN setting for MMS and the phone will then only attempt to use WiFi for all other data needs.

It wasn't clear what WebOS would do if the APN for internet usage is blank or if the proxy address is intentionally screwed up etc..

Thanks
    Thanks for clarifying just wanted to make sure anyone trying to help knew for sure what you were trying to do.

Sorry I will be of no help on this one though. Might want to search all forums as Pre3 should be similar to any other webOS phone as far as MMS function. I don't know that anyone has ever done this, but I also don't know that anyone has ever failed (basically never seen an attempt of this, but I dont claim to have seen every thread.).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Aren't there people that tinker with some db to get internet working for some not-supported carriers? I think I read something like that in the Veer part of the forum. Is it the carrier.db? I think that is the direction you have to look into....

On the other hand: do you really receive that many MMS? I received like 10 or so in my whole life time and about 5 of them I sent me myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Aren't there people that tinker with some db to get internet working for some not-supported carriers? I think I read something like that in the Veer part of the forum. Is it the carrier.db? I think that is the direction you have to look into....

On the other hand: do you really receive that many MMS? I received like 10 or so in my whole life time and about 5 of them I sent me myself...
    I receive MMS almost every day and probably send a few a week