1.    #1  
    I know this was always a problem (well for me anyway)...on my old Pre- I had to delete the Google account occasionally (and reinstall) to stop the bad battery drain, and it's happened a few times on my Pre 3. However this week it has happened for the second day in a row (I deleted gmail last night, relogged in this morning, fine all day until I got home). What gives? I am using a 'as items arrive' with a UK Pre 3 on T-Mobile UK (although it's EE now)...I read on here that it's a common problem with 2.4.4...is anyone else having these issues?
    I'm in the UK using Tmobile as well (EE) and never experienced this gmail draining issue. Mine is 2.2.4 though. How did you manage to get the 2.4.4 verson and do you think its advisable to update to 2.4.4.
    Last edited by yemmade; 10/26/2012 at 10:22 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by yemmade View Post
    I'm in the UK and never experience this gmail draining issue. Mine is 2.2.4 though. how did you manage to get the 2.4.4 and do you think its advisable to update 2.4.4 considering this issue stated above.
    Erm sorry, I meant 2.2.4

So are you using Gmail 'as items arrive'? I might doctor my Pre 3 this weekend, I switched back to it after using my Nokia N9 for a while and used to get 1.5 - 3% per hour drain when idle, now it's more like 6/7, can't seem to get it down
    Yes, and I have two gmail account, with other three emails from yahoo, hotmail and fastermail making 5. I set all to 'As item arrived' except hotmail which has no such option. Just for you to check; download this patch in preware- GSM 3g GPS and brightness..., this should help you to check if your GPS is always on, there you can turn it off. Install it, then swipe down the top right side of the main page to see this option along with WiFi and others. This has helped me so much.
    Last edited by yemmade; 10/26/2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Couple of things you could try:

- My patch to change Google calendar/contacts sync from every 20 minutes to whatever you want (requires Preware and Tweaks):

[PATCH] Change calendar/contact sync frequency (2.2.4) - testers wanted

- Set up Gmail as an EAS account using the server https://m.google.com . Note: to remove the account and re-add, make sure to remove from the Accounts app, not the email app, otherwise it doesn't remove fully.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Couple of things you could try:

- My patch to change Google calendar/contacts sync from every 20 minutes to whatever you want (requires Preware and Tweaks):

[PATCH] Change calendar/contact sync frequency (2.2.4) - testers wanted

- Set up Gmail as an EAS account using the server https://m.google.com . Note: to remove the account and re-add, make sure to remove from the Accounts app, not the email app, otherwise it doesn't remove fully.
    greenoyster, your patch is great, thanks! Obviously yet to test it but looks good so far, amazing work.

I hadn't gone down the Exchange route yet, was a bit put off by this guy i this thread: Pre 3 - Excessive battery drain with Gmail Sync

Of course, his issue may have been something else but wanted to try everything with proper Gmail first.
  7.    #7  
    And I can report that greenoyster's amazing patch works, down to 1.83% p/hour on full 3G idle, oh yeah!