webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Is anyone using a Pre 3 on T-Mobile?
Is anyone using a Pre 3 on T-Mobile?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 10/22/2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

If so how does it work and do you think it would pick up as a smartphone? I personally want to try it but I think I would give it to my fiancee after I had my fun with it. She doesn't have a smartphone or data on her plan, but I'm hoping if she didn't use the data it would just register as a basic phone.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

No clue on T-Mo there were some folks running webOS devices on T-Mo but I think most of those posts I have seen were Pre2s.

I can say AT&T see's the phone as a dumb phone, would guess that since it's unlocked T-Mo wouldn't require a data plan for the Pre3 but I have no experience with them. Just make sure you turn off data so you don't incur any additional charges.

Also one thing to think about if you really don't want to get a data plan, many of us have had less than perfect WiFi on the Pre3... Pre2, Veer, and original Pre all have much better WiFi.

I do love my Pre3 though, been my daily use phone for a year.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

my wife and I both switched our pre3s to t-mobile and they would start randomly rebooting - as many as 15 times a day - yuck. Thought it was a phone issue but after doing some research, found that was a common complaint on t-mobile. Switched to at&t and haven't had the rebooting problem. I can't speak to the question about it being seen as a smartphone.
mc25mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

been on t-mobile for a year, both my brother and myself with no problems. Waiting for the 1900 refarm. Had the $30/month prepay but have recently moved to the $50/month 4G prepay.
latetothepalmparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had my Pre3 on t-mobile for months with no problems. The data is slow (2g edge), but works fine. I switched to StraightTalk a few months ago, to get more and faster data.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

pre 3 on t mobile for about a year.... 2g very slow. doable for checking email and some light browsing. kind of made me start hating it and was wanting a t-mobile phone or switching carrier to support the pre 3 but then one day i started to get 3g. i guess t mobile upgraded my area and now its a much better experience.
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

where is "your area"?
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

T-Mo is starting to move around their bands for LTE deployment IIRC, thus moving 3G to a band that is supported by the Pre3.

There have been random reports here and there of 3G popping up for webOS users on T-Mo...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 10/25/2012, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
If so how does it work and do you think it would pick up as a smartphone? I personally want to try it but I think I would give it to my fiancee after I had my fun with it. She doesn't have a smartphone or data on her plan, but I'm hoping if she didn't use the data it would just register as a basic phone.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Meanwhile back at the "Smartphone vs No Data Plan" question...

I believe T-Mo is more forgiving than other carriers about NOT forcing you to buy data so your idea to turn off data and run WiFi only might work.

I'd check with a T-Mo store. Bring the Pre 3 in, show them data can be toggled off and ask if that will allow you onto a no data plan... Asking the carrier is about the only way to get a complete answer.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc25mc View Post
my wife and I both switched our pre3s to t-mobile and they would start randomly rebooting - as many as 15 times a day - yuck. Thought it was a phone issue but after doing some research, found that was a common complaint on t-mobile. Switched to at&t and haven't had the rebooting problem. I can't speak to the question about it being seen as a smartphone.
That's really weird. I wonder why the network would cause it to do that?

Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G(one of my many devices)
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have been using the pre3 on the t-mobile's $10 data plan for over a year now.
I have never been asked to upgrade. I only get edge speeds most of the time though I have had 3g speeds in some areas in WA and also Las Vegas.
I did have the reboot problems early on and tried the solution about getting the clock sync app. The reboots have stopped now though I don't know what did the trick.
pesterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm using Pre 3 (AT&T) on T-Mobile, reception works well, no rebooting issues. I am suffering battery drain, don't know why..
eJimmyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: netwrkr9
Old 11/01/2012, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had weird things happen to one of my Pre3s on T-Mobile. But, I never had an at&t SIM in that particular phone, so I couldn't compare it. My other Pre3 is fine.

Regarding no data on T-Mobile: Don't even bring your Pre3 into the store and show them. No need to. It just gives them the opportunity to force you to get data on the spot. Since it is GSM, just find a cheap feature phone and get that. Activate it without data. Then, take it to the car or home, put the SIM in the Pre3, turn of data, and bada bing! Since the Pre3 IMEI (unique equipment ID) is not in their database, they won't harass you about data. Then keep the cheap feature phone as a backup. If you are signing a new contract, you should be able to find a feature phone for free. If you are going with pre-paid, they have some $20-$40 kits.
Thanked By: qbenguy
Old 11/01/2012, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I had weird things happen to one of my Pre3s on T-Mobile. But, I never had an at&t SIM in that particular phone, so I couldn't compare it. My other Pre3 is fine.

Regarding no data on T-Mobile: Don't even bring your Pre3 into the store and show them. No need to. It just gives them the opportunity to force you to get data on the spot. Since it is GSM, just find a cheap feature phone and get that. Activate it without data. Then, take it to the car or home, put the SIM in the Pre3, turn of data, and bada bing! Since the Pre3 IMEI (unique equipment ID) is not in their database, they won't harass you about data. Then keep the cheap feature phone as a backup. If you are signing a new contract, you should be able to find a feature phone for free. If you are going with pre-paid, they have some $20-$40 kits.
Just curious, you getting T-Mo 3G in your area yet?

I have no clue if they have started converting any of nor-cal.
Old 11/01/2012, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've had 3G at the Atlanta airport. There was a report of 3G in Davis, but I could not find anywhere that worked.
Old 11/01/2012, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I should ask my coworker to let me pop her SIM into one of my spare GSM devices and see what I get just outta curiosity. If we can get 3G on T-Mo locally opens up another option for when we are off contract
Old 11/01/2012, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

3g in southern san diego. not everywhere, just at my home. i dont think the whole san diego area is covered
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 08:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Just curious, you getting T-Mo 3G in your area yet?

I have no clue if they have started converting any of nor-cal.
It is hit or miss. Right now my T-Mobile SIM is in my iPhone 3GS, since my Pre3 is my driver and T-Mobile coverage is poor inside of my apartment.

I can get T-Mobile 1900MHz 3G in my apartment parking lot, down the street, and different parts along the Caltrain route (part of Menlo Park, Hillsdale, San Carlos, and a few other spots). It seems to be growing.
Old 11/01/2012, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Do the reboots stop once its on the 1900HZ? I work in different areas in Chicago land and it depends where I'm @ sometimes it can get really crazy in one day.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 10:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
It is hit or miss. Right now my T-Mobile SIM is in my iPhone 3GS, since my Pre3 is my driver and T-Mobile coverage is poor inside of my apartment.

I can get T-Mobile 1900MHz 3G in my apartment parking lot, down the street, and different parts along the Caltrain route (part of Menlo Park, Hillsdale, San Carlos, and a few other spots). It seems to be growing.
Good to hear! I had horrible cell reception in my first apartment for some reason. (but that was long ago)

I used to get horrible sprint coverage at my parents house, was great if I stood in the far corner of the driveway though.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0