1.    #1  
    someone said somewhere in these forums leaving the fone in developer mode is "dangerous" ...I put my pre3 and touchpad in developer mode the day they arrived and have never shut it off ...is there anything to worry about?
    Well, there's always the risk of someone using Novacom to access your device. For example, you can remove the lock screen password through Novacom, and transfer arbitrary files with Novacom. You can secure it by putting a password on Novacom and then disabling it. Add a lockscreen password to prevent someone from deleting the password if you have Internalz Pro installed. That way, someone can't just plug in your device and do random stuff with it. Of course, there's always memboot, which you can't block, and someone could simply remove your Novacom password and reenable it through that. So really, having Novacom on or off doesn't make that much of a security difference. In any case it can be reenabled, but depending on your configuration one may have to jump through more (typically trivial) hoops to do it. The most important thing is to physically guard your devices.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Well, there's always the risk of someone using Novacom to access your device. For example, you can remove the lock screen password through Novacom, and transfer arbitrary files with Novacom. You can secure it by putting a password on Novacom and then disabling it. Add a lockscreen password to prevent someone from deleting the password if you have Internalz Pro installed. That way, someone can't just plug in your device and do random stuff with it. Of course, there's always memboot, which you can't block, and someone could simply remove your Novacom password and reenable it through that. So really, having Novacom on or off doesn't make that much of a security difference. In any case it can be reenabled, but depending on your configuration one may have to jump through more (typically trivial) hoops to do it. The most important thing is to physically guard your devices.
    I have a physical challenge so I view my fone as a personal security device ...it is always with me ...I have it about a year and it has never even been dropped... personal guarding is a given ...any other risks? Bluetooth is almost always off & wifi+data are almost always on ...battery saver shuts it off while I sleep...
    The only vector for Novacom is through the USB port, unless otherwise configured (like building the open source Novacom and enabling communications over WiFi). The builtin firewall should handle the rest. If you have an SSH server installed, it should be secure if you use a certificate to log in and keep said certificate in a secure place.