1.    #1  
    The volume buttons do not work on my new Pre 3 (bought recently). I assume that this is due to a well-known problem (cable cut through by slider).

1.) Is there a way to check what is the specific reason for the malfunction? Hardware tests did not show an error with audio.

2.) Is there a patch / program to easily adjust the volumes without using the preferences of the Pre 3?

Kind regards,

Stefan
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
    For software volume control, maybe try TouchVol, a homebrew app available in Preware.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Was the hardware test the buttons test? Chances are if it works in the test it's a software configuration problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan D. View Post
    The volume buttons do not work on my new Pre 3 (bought recently). I assume that this is due to a well-known problem (cable cut through by slider).

1.) Is there a way to check what is the specific reason for the malfunction? Hardware tests did not show an error with audio.

2.) Is there a patch / program to easily adjust the volumes without using the preferences of the Pre 3?

Kind regards,

Stefan
    A number of people had similar problems when their Pre3s were new (I know I did). The problem was that the two buttons would both activate when you pressed on either of them. In my case the volume down was ok but the volume up did not work unless I approached round the top of the phone and clicked the very tip of the rocker with a finger nail.

Some people managed to improve things by adding a little bit of paper or sticky tape between the two micro switches (beneath the rocker). In my case I didn't bother once I had worked out how to make it work and as the mechanism loosened up with age it started working properly.

One way to determine if this is your problem is to operate the phone with the back off and see if using the micro switches directly works. If it does then you have a similar problem which no amount of resets and software patches will fix.
    The problem in my case was a broken flexcable (due to mechanic stress when opening and closing the phone).

I was lucky, as I could report this to PalmChat and got it repaired. Sadly, PalmChat doesn't exist anymore. Another change courtesy to yours truly HP.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Was the hardware test the buttons test? Chances are if it works in the test it's a software configuration problem.
    Well, in the buttons test there is no function at all for the volume buttons. Besides, if I remove the cover of the Pre 3 there is no function of the volume buttons, too.
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan D. View Post
    Well, in the buttons test there is no function at all for the volume buttons. Besides, if I remove the cover of the Pre 3 there is no function of the volume buttons, too.
    Not sure if I've understood you right but if you remove the back cover there are two microswitches under where the volume rocker should be. If you are saying these don't work then we are looking at a different problem to the one I had, possibly the cut ribbon suggested above.

Someone created an app called touchvol that allows you to control all the volume settings from an app, I've got it installed but never use it so I can't really comment but it should allow you to see if the problem is just the buttons or something more fundamental.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Not sure if I've understood you right but if you remove the back cover there are two microswitches under where the volume rocker should be. If you are saying these don't work then we are looking at a different problem to the one I had, possibly the cut ribbon suggested above.

Someone created an app called touchvol that allows you to control all the volume settings from an app, I've got it installed but never use it so I can't really comment but it should allow you to see if the problem is just the buttons or something more fundamental.
    After removing of the backcover there is no function of the microswitches, too.

I'll have a look to TouchVol.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this forum, but I have the same issue with the volume rockers not functioning at all. I've had this problem since I first bought the phone (craigslist seller won't pick up his phone or respond to my emails... go figure).

I spend hours over three evenings getting the phone to activate, and now that I finally have the best and last Pre phone, I find myself stuck with a $250 phone that will not allow me to adjust the volume.

I am not brave enough to take the phone apart to see if it's the ribbon cable, and I don't want to homebrew it, as I don't want to spend any more time on Palm/HP products.

I am selling my Verizon HP Pre 3 (without working volume rockers) if anyone wants to grab it up. My loss is your gain, especially if you are more of a fiddler than I am.

My sights are now set on the next disappearing underdog. Blackberry 10. Looks as promising as WebOS once did.

My post in the market place was deleted because I had not yet contributed 50 messages (hot damn), so email me here if you have questions.

I did homebrew it and install TouchVol which worked like a charm. A bit of a work around, but better than being stuck at half volume!

Thank you, have fun, and best of luck. I will truly miss WebOS!

Paul
    Last edited by paulie140; 11/12/2012 at 03:23 PM.