Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    would someone (jason,other) please put up a stand alone patch to hide VPN in the device menu?
    Why don't you like the advanced device menu stuff?

You could try to do it yourself.
    Because it doesn't have some of the nice goodies like the GSM top bar patch.
    Advanced Device Menu does not conflict with top-bar-4g-icon-instead-of-3g.patch and top-bar-4g-icon-instead-of-h-plus.patch.

But they conflict against each other... at least I can't install them both at the same time..?
    Are those the patches that you meant?
    Would be great to include them in the advanced patches as tweaks.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Why don't you like the advanced device menu stuff?

You could try to do it yourself.
    I put on the device menu the following: temp in the battery listing, brightness, gps, cycle wifi, and data ...I do not need VPN so would like to take it off ...the ones in the patch list all have one or another thing that doesn't suit my needs ...that's why ... ;^)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Because it doesn't have some of the nice goodies like the GSM top bar patch.
    but, gsm top bar patch IS available separately and can be applied over a mix ...I think...
    Advanced Device Menu does not conflict with top-bar-4g-icon-instead-of-3g.patch and top-bar-4g-icon-instead-of-h-plus.patch.

But they conflict against each other... at least I can't install them both at the same time..?
    Are those the patches that you meant?
    Would be great to include them in the advanced patches as tweaks.
    I should have said the device menu patch. I meant Metaview's patch which gives toggles for GPS, data, and network (2G/3G). The advanced patch doesn't have the 2G/3G toggle (or at least it isn't a nice as Metaview's).
  8.    #8  
    I should have said the device menu patch. I meant Metaview's patch which gives toggles for GPS, data, and network (2G/3G). The advanced patch doesn't have the 2G/3G toggle (or at least it isn't a nice as Metaview's).
    I wonder if there is another advantage beyond simple convenience that makes these "mixes" better than individual patches for each item ...tweakable mix would be very cool...

by the way, the today menu doesn't seem to work at all on my pre3 ...doesn't even appear although it installs...

unless I put on the device mode in launcher menu, there is no menu there at all...

what does all that mean??
    Advanced menu is pretty close to tweakable mix... you can configure the device menu to your likings and switch on/off all the stuff you like. All the single patches conflict with each other, because they modify the same files at the same places. So they will always conflict. So going for a mix or using the advanced version is what you can do... or you try to create your own mix... if you look at what the individual patches modify, it is quite easy to figure out how to combine them.

@patapoof: I'm pretty sure you can build your desired device menu with advanced device menu... to configure the menu with advanced device menu you need to tap and hold the right part of the top bar. Then you can hide and show the single items and even select what the action in the bottom should do (i.e. replace flight mode with something else).
    For me the today menu works on a Pre3 and a Veer... you need to tap on the time in the top par, i.e. the middle. Maybe there are issues with your calendar? Did you install the advanced menu framework?

@bassman97: With advanced device menu you can activate the "network type" submenu and in that can easily toggle between automatic, 2g and 3g. It's quite convenient.

Still, if you want something that is not there, go, look at what is there and create what you think is missing. That's the nice thing about webOS, contributing is so easy. :-)

@bassman97: With advanced device menu you can activate the "network type" submenu and in that can easily toggle between automatic, 2g and 3g. It's quite convenient.
    Then it must have been how it was implemented/its feel. I know I tried it before, but I preferred how the Metaview patch was implemented. In the end, it would be nice for those of us who use other patches to be able to separately remove the VPN slot. But of course, I could always just stop being lazy and comment that line(s) of code out.
  11.    #11  
    took off display in device menu patches for gps,cycleWiFi,data,temp/battery,brightness ...tried menu but tap/hold top right does nothing ...put on advanced device menu and top right tap/hold still does nothing ...reset luna and now no device menu at all ...reset device & still no device menu anymore at all... what now ??

Advanced menu is pretty close to tweakable mix... you can configure the device menu to your likings and switch on/off all the stuff you like. All the single patches conflict with each other, because they modify the same files at the same places. So they will always conflict. So going for a mix or using the advanced version is what you can do... or you try to create your own mix... if you look at what the individual patches modify, it is quite easy to figure out how to combine them.

@patapoof: I'm pretty sure you can build your desired device menu with advanced device menu... to configure the menu with advanced device menu you need to tap and hold the right part of the top bar. Then you can hide and show the single items and even select what the action in the bottom should do (i.e. replace flight mode with something else).
    For me the today menu works on a Pre3 and a Veer... you need to tap on the time in the top par, i.e. the middle. Maybe there are issues with your calendar? Did you install the advanced menu framework?

Still, if you want something that is not there, go, look at what is there and create what you think is missing. That's the nice thing about webOS, contributing is so easy. :-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    took off display in device menu patches for gps,cycleWiFi,data,temp/battery,brightness ...tried menu but tap/hold top right does nothing ...put on advanced device menu and top right tap/hold still does nothing ...reset luna and now no device menu at all ...reset device & still no device menu anymore at all... what now ??
    currently restart in process ...ran ausmt full
  13.    #13  
    had to reinstall all the patches ...after this mess I will again ask if someone might write a "hide VPN in device menu" patch ...thanks !
    You did not understand, what I was writing... even if somebody would do such a patch, it would conflict with all the other device menu patches you installed.

You might try to persuade one the author of your super-duper-mix patch to remove the vpn... but your best bet is to remove the line by yourself.

You have to comment out this line:
    this.controller.setupWidget('vpndetails', {modelProperty:'myOpenProperty'}, this.drawerModel);
    it is in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/devicemenu-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $in$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $version$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $line$ $44$. $But$ $as$ $yours$ $is$ $modified$, $it$ $might$ $be$ $on$ $a$ $different$ $line$.

Of course you should do a backup of the file before you modify it and stuff...
    Last edited by Garfonso; 10/18/2012 at 07:51 AM.
  15.    #15  
    You did not understand, what I was writing... even if somebody would do such a patch, it would conflict with all the other device menu patches you installed.

You might try to persuade one the author of your super-duper-mix patch to remove the vpn... but your best bet is to remove the line by yourself.

it is in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/devicemenu-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $in$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $version$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $line$ $44$. $But$ $as$ $yours$ $is$ $modified$, $it$ $might$ $be$ $on$ $a$ $different$ $line$.

will ttry & report ...thanks!
  16.    #16  
    copied devicemenu-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $pc$ $and$ $edited$ $out$ $the$ $line$ $you$ $specified$ $and$ $tried$ $to$ $save$ $to$ $phone$ $but$ $it$ $will$ $not$ $save$ $says$ $access$ $denied$ ...$do$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $do$ $something$ $with$ $the$ $permissions$?

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    copied devicemenu-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $pc$ $and$ $edited$ $out$ $the$ $line$ $you$ $specified$ $and$ $tried$ $to$ $save$ $to$ $phone$ $but$ $it$ $will$ $not$ $save$ $says$ $access$ $denied$ ...$do$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $do$ $something$ $with$ $the$ $permissions$?
    and also tried to open it on fone ...internalz.pro opens and shows it but doesn't offer to edit it...will copy it to another folder...
    Do you have Internalz Pro in master mode? If not you can't edit files outside of /media/internal

Oh and I highly recommend trying this stuff in the emulator first.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Do you have Internalz Pro in master mode? If not you can't edit files outside of /media/internal

Oh and I highly recommend trying this stuff in the emulator first.
    set master mode, did the mod you specified, shut master mode off after save, rebooted ...did not get what was expected... see screenshot attached ...duplicate VPN in the device menu as shown ...undid all that to saved original file... no joy !!

restored original file is working fine ...there are many occurrences of "VPN" in the file... I don't know how to approach that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #20  
    Then it must have been how it was implemented/its feel. I know I tried it before, but I preferred how the Metaview patch was implemented. In the end, it would be nice for those of us who use other patches to be able to separately remove the VPN slot. But of course, I could always just stop being lazy and comment that line(s) of code out.
    if I remove all patches to device menu and reboot and apply advanced device menu (sconix) there is no hold/tap function ...don't know what's wrong ...ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast