Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I am seriously considering buying a Pre3 off ebay because prices have dropped finally and nothing on Verizon's current line up really excites me enough to jump into their "share everything" plan. So the one thing I wanted to learn more about before making the purchase was some details around video chatting through skype.

Is it true that skype on the Pre3 has to be used in landscape mode?
    Is it true that the front facing camera can only be accessed for video chat? No self portrait mode using the camera app?
    How is the experience of skyping with an iphone 4 (wifes phone)?

I travel quite a bit and I like the idea of being able to skype with my son (3yo) when I'm away. If you can share anything as far as your experience with Skype on the Pre3 I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
    There's an app, Photo Me, that allows using the front camera.
    About the rest.. tried videochatting only one time as a test, and I don't remember.. sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    Hi All,

I am seriously considering buying a Pre3 off ebay because prices have dropped finally and nothing on Verizon's current line up really excites me enough to jump into their "share everything" plan. So the one thing I wanted to learn more about before making the purchase was some details around video chatting through skype.

Is it true that skype on the Pre3 has to be used in landscape mode?
    Is it true that the front facing camera can only be accessed for video chat? No self portrait mode using the camera app?
    How is the experience of skyping with an iphone 4 (wifes phone)?

I travel quite a bit and I like the idea of being able to skype with my son (3yo) when I'm away. If you can share anything as far as your experience with Skype on the Pre3 I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all your feedback.
    It does only work in landscape mode.
    I've used Skype to both iPhone 4s and computer, and it worked just fine, no issues at all. I was connected to WiFi, not sure how Verizon's network does with the video quality.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Thanks mazzinia and broncot. I think you've both help answer my questions. I think I'm going to go for it.

Totally off topic but do you think the Pre3 is a worthy upgrade from a Pre2? I love webos but the thought of buying a discontinued phone still makes me feel leery of the whole thing...
    Totally off topic but do you think the Pre3 is a worthy upgrade from a Pre2? I love webos but the thought of buying a discontinued phone still makes me feel leery of the whole thing...
    You just have to be OK with some persistent bugs (see this forum), no updates, no support or warranty from the manufacturer (carriers won't help, either), and a huge lack of spare parts should anything break. Many owners buy two or more for this reason.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Thanks mazzinia and broncot. I think you've both help answer my questions. I think I'm going to go for it.

I upgraded from a sprint pre2 it was totally worth it! So much faster, bigger screen, better camera, and the keyboard is far better IMO. Oddly enough is my pre 3 doesnt really have any bugs but my pre 2 on the hand had this nasty issue with just wanting to not let me get texts and the only fix was a hard reset. One time I went a whole week before I caught it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    I upgraded from a sprint pre2 it was totally worth it! So much faster, bigger screen, better camera, and the keyboard is far better IMO. Oddly enough is my pre 3 doesnt really have any bugs but my pre 2 on the hand had this nasty issue with just wanting to not let me get texts and the only fix was a hard reset. One time I went a whole week before I caught it.
    What service did you switch to for your Pre 3?
    I'm considering doing the same thing. I bought a Pre3 about a year ago but have just been using my Pre 2 on Sprint. I have finally had enough and want to use the Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have Att go phone plan and since I have the EU Pre3 its $50 a month and no charge for unlimited data.