1.    #1  
    Hello,

Due to the fact that my Palm Pre is falling apart soon I just bought a HP Pre 3 which turned out to be a french device with an AZERTY keyboard layout . Now I am considering my options ...

Right now there are a few questions, especially:

1.) How can I acitvate the HP Pre 3 without inserting a SIM-card?

2.) Is it possible to activate the HP Pre 3 by using the SIM-card of my Palm Pre without automatically transferring my current webos profile to the HP Pre 3 and without swiping of my Palm Pre (I would like to create a test webos profile before changing from my old Palm Pre to my new HP Pre 3)?

3.) Is it possible to change the language of webos from french to german? Would I be able to use the AZERTY keyboard layout in a proper way, or would there be some changed keys?

4.) Is there a recommendation how to transfer my webos profile and my data from my old Palm Pre to my new HP Pre 3?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback to my request.

Kind regards,

Stefan
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
  2.    #2  
    OK, I have found the following post: Unlocking at&t Pre 3 without using a sim
    I assume that my first question is answered. Now I can use the HP Pre 3 and can play with webOS 2.2.4 in English.

Fortunately it is possible to switch from english to german via regional settings of webOS. And there are no changed keys. Thus my third question is obsolete, too.
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
    If you'd like to start fresh, in Device Info do a Full Erase. Then you can go and set up with a different language and create a new Palm Profile.

2. Palm Profiles are not linked to SIM cards.
    3. There is an option to select your locale in the Regional Settings app.
    4. I would just log in to the old Palm Profile. Of course, I'm not sure if it would work properly because I don't have any webOS phones.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    If you'd like to start fresh, in Device Info do a Full Erase. Then you can go and set up with a different language and create a new Palm Profile.

2. Palm Profiles are not linked to SIM cards.
    3. There is an option to select your locale in the Regional Settings app.
    4. I would just log in to the old Palm Profile. Of course, I'm not sure if it would work properly because I don't have any webOS phones.
    Thanks for your feedback. A secure full erase is running right now.

My second question is answered, too. Are there any other suggestions regarding the fourth question?
    If you log into your Palm account on your Pre3, all data stored via backup, including apps, will automatically download. It will then remove the Pre from your account as you can't have 2 phones on one account
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    If you log into your Palm account on your Pre3, all data stored via backup, including apps, will automatically download. It will then remove the Pre from your account as you can't have 2 phones on one account
    It looks like not all data from the old Palm Pre would be installed automatically to the new HP Pre 3 because only a small part of data is subject to the automatic backup via the cloud (webos account). Thus I am currently checking which data could be transferred in which way to the new device, in particular such important data (at last for me) as contacts, calendar, e-mail and documents.

Is there a software reccommendation for the transfer of data that is not part of the automatic backup vis the webos account from an old Palm Pre to a new HP Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan D. View Post
    It looks like not all data from the old Palm Pre would be installed automatically to the new HP Pre 3 because only a small part of data is subject to the automatic backup via the cloud (webos account). Thus I am currently checking which data could be transferred in which way to the new device, in particular such important data (at last for me) as contacts, calendar, e-mail and documents.

Is there a software reccommendation for the transfer of data that is not part of the automatic backup vis the webos account from an old Palm Pre to a new HP Pre 3?
    A couple of points that may help:

1) If you sync your calendar/contacts with a cloud service (e.g. google) before you migrate then you will get the entries copied across painlessly. I did this when I originally went from my Treo to my Pre- and so the Pre3 migration was completely painless for me.

2) Once you connect your Pre3 to your old profile you will no longer be able to use it on your Pre. The profile will get migrated to WebOS 2 and it won't migrate back the other way. I suggest you get everything safely backed up (in the cloud or wherever) before connecting it to your Pre3 and then, if you still want to use the Pre create a new profile for it. That way all your apps will migrate over and the Pre will have no apps unless you buy them again for it but at least you can still use the Pre if you want to. That is what I did (I bought a couple of apps again so that the Pre can be used as a backup if the Pre3 is unavailable for any reason). You can connect the Pre and the Pre3 to the same cloud services (google in my case) so that they both have synced contacts etc and I use IMAP email that is therefore also synced on both phones.