Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  1.    #1  
    I have both a pre plus and pre 2 that I routinely switch between on verizon. while I lose my free mobile hotspot when I go from the plus to the 2, verizon does not make me "upgrade" my unlimited data plan.

If I get a pre 3, and try and activate it, will I have to "upgrade" my plan with verizon?

thanks,
    mike
    Last edited by mtiberio; 10/05/2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I did the online switch between my Pre+ and my new Pre3 last November with verizon. I lost the free hotspot but retained all other services, including the unlimited data plan. I was beyond my 2-year contract date at the time.

Maybe someone with a more recent experience will be able to confirm that this is still the case.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    I have both a pre plus and pre 2 that I routinely switch between on verizon. while I lose my free mobile hotspot when I go from the plus to the 2, verizon does not make me "upgrade" my unlimited data plan.

If I get a pre 3, and try and activate it, will I have to "upgrade" my plan with verizon?

thanks,
    mike
    My experience has been that unless you sign a new contract, your services remain at status quo. When I first got a Centro, I was never forced to get a data plan, as I just swapped SIMs. I'd assume VZW is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    My experience has been that unless you sign a new contract, your services remain at status quo. When I first got a Centro, I was never forced to get a data plan, as I just swapped SIMs. I'd assume VZW is the same.
    CDMA is a lil different than swapping SIMs, mainly because the phone has to be in the database meaning they know exactly what phone you are using. ATT for example thinks the Pre3 and Pre2 are dumbphones because they aren't "ATT phones" even though the Pre3 was slated to be, it was never added to the database because it was never sold at retail.

I haven't heard of anyone losing unlimited data w VZW when switching to Pre3 though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    As others have said, you shouldn't lose your existing plan if you change phones with an unsubsidized one. It's only when they subsidize one that you have to sign a new contract.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.