1.    #1  
    I've read a few threads but haven't encoutered the exact same issue. What's happening to my Pre3 is that when opening the slide one of these happens every sinlge time:

- it's all black, display and keyboard, must drag to unlock to lighten up the display only, keyboard backlight not working, see below (20% of the time)

- in most cases the display works but it doesn't switch on the keyboard backlight, to have the keyboard backlight I need to close the slide and open it at least twice, very annoying (80% of the time)

I just hope it's not the beginning of the end already.. :/
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I had the same issue. I found that it was opening just a little bit too much, and closing it slightly would light up the keyboard.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    It happens in my Pre 3. When I open the keyboard it is always light off, but if I push the slider a little more (is not necessary to force it) then the keyboard turns on the backlight.
    I must be crazy but 'm happy with this because it allows me to turn on the backlight only when it's dark.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys. I've tried both both none of them work 100%, I've discovered for me opening the slide very VERY slowly does the trick, annoying as I'm used to open it pretty quickly, but still, better than nothing..
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    try BRIGHTNESS UNLINKED app...
  6.    #6  
    I'm re-surfacing an old thread of mine as the problem has come back, no matter how quick or slow I open the slide the keyboard sometimes will just have no light. Any (other) suggestions welcome
    Funny. My Pre 3 keyboard stopped lighting up yesterday. Keyboard jiggles don't do the trick. Brightness Unlinked has no effect.
  8.    #8  
    I just discovered brightness unliked does help us in this case, won't solve the problem but does help, when the keyboard doesn't light up open up BU and touch the keyboard level upwards you'll see the keyboard now lit, just be quick to type or it'll darken up again, as I said it's no solution but we still can type in the dark (if we're quick enough..)
    Nope, doesn't do it for me. But it's now (usuaally) better after a reboot. Strange.
    it goes out once the battery level is low...
    it goes out if you set the screen less than 5% level...
    brightness unlinked needs restarted after a reboot...
    you can swipe away brightness unlinked from the notification area & it still works...

all that on my Pre 3 ATT unlocked... dunno for other models...
    Dust/dirt. Use a high pressure blast of air between the body and the keypad, it fixed it for me. Keep the air well away fro mic/speakers tthough