Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    So I've had my EU 8gb pre 3 for a year on the GO phone plan.... And im starting to wonder how much faster it would be to get the ATT branded 16gb Pre3 that has the "4g" can anyone do a speed test maybe a tell if its worth the switch.... I'll end up with more storage and if data is faster it would be worth the extra $15 a month in data charges on the go phone plan. On mobilespeedtest.com im getting about 500-600 kbps when doing the 100kb test.
    Pre 3 isn't really my area of expertise per se...

However, I don't think switching off EU to NA will make a difference. The "4g" is "faux g" or "3.5g" otherwise known as H+ and should be the same between both models.

I'm on Straight Talk which resells AT&T bandwidth. We are having speed and data outage problems there too. I think all mnvo users on AT&T are getting throttled; that's my new theory anyway and won't really be provable as they would not admit to it and drive off customers.

I wouldn't spend for the NA unless you want a backup...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Ziplock likes this.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I have an AT&T Pre 3. Here's my speed test results:

Your speed: 1777.778 Kbps
    Your latency: 0.342
    Transferred 100 KB in 0.45 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylo View Post

What carrier???

Is it Go Phone like the OP?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Thanks RumoredNow ... and Sylo are you sure you had your wi-fi turned off? Thats pretty darn fast!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    What carrier???

Is it Go Phone like the OP?
    That would be on a regular AT&T data plan. Not go phone. I was just adding my input as to why it would be beneficial to make the switch to the AT&T Pre 3, which is what I thought the question was.

However, after reading the OPs comment again, it appears I misunderstood the question. If you were to switch to the AT&T Pre 3, I don't believe you would be gaining "4G" speeds unless you switched from the go phone plan to one of the regular data plans. Could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

However, I don't think switching off EU to NA will make a difference. The "4g" is "faux g" or "3.5g" otherwise known as H+ and should be the same between both models.
    I don't think the EU model is capable of receiving the H+ speeds. Different radios/spectrum.
    Last edited by Sylo; 09/27/2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
    I have a go phone sim that works in my at&t pre+ but will not be recognized at all on my at&t pre3 which I have given its unlock code to using dalberts method. Just giving you a heads up that the at&t pre3 might not work on go phone, mine won't.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Am I crazy? I'm using an at&t Pre 3, set to their data (H+), i.e., I definitely turned WiFi off. Using the same web site - mobilespeedtest.com - I'm getting speeds of 17k to 35k!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Go in to your network setting from the phone app and then goto network and make sure it is using the 3G and not the 2g/EDGE .... sometimes on automatic it will be using Edge when it could be using 3G.
    I don't think the EU model is capable of receiving the H+ speeds. Different radios/spectrum.
    The only difference is the lower frequency, which is 900 vs. 850 on the AT&T model (in which this can be done via firmware and not necessarily hardware).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    Thanks RumoredNow ... and Sylo are you sure you had your wi-fi turned off? Thats pretty darn fast!
    I see as high or higher speeds than this in parts of London on HSDPA, with O2 as provider. The phone can certainly do it, it's usually the carriers who can't.

I am on ATT with ATT Pre3, opposite side of the country California, inside my office building....

1176.471 kbps
    100k in 0.68 seconds

Basically you just need to verify if GoPhone offers H+/4G/HSPA+ if so, you should be getting the same speeds we are seeing since you would be on the same towers.

I did the 2mb test as well...

6130.268 kbps
    2000 kb in 2.61 seconds

In general I will say I don't believe in speed test results as they are wildly inaccurate. If you continually test and log your specific setup you could use it to verify data slow downs, etc. But there are so many other factors involved in real life use that speed tests don't always translate to actual end user experience. These comments aren't specific to mobile, but all speed tests. As you can see from just running a couple tests, I got vastly different results.

If you have the money, even if not for guaranteed speed, I'd get the AT&T version for the extra 8 gigs personally. But I plan on holding on to my Pre3 for a while longer as my daily use phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    RumoredNow likes this.