1.    #1  
    With T-mobile now offering 4G coverage, should a GSM Pre 3 be able to use their 4G service?

I just got a Pre 3 and and inserted a T-Mobile sim in it and only see Edge. The area I am i is suppose to have excellent 4G coverage.

Or are there setting changes to be made?
    The 1900mhz activation process is ongoing. Check this site for 1900mhz sightings Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) I was on T-mo's $30 100min plan with my pre 3 and I got tired of the edge speeds; could not wait for them to turn on the 1900mhz bands any more so I got a galaxy S3. T-mo's 42mbps data is now blazing fast.

As I see you might not understand: T-mo uses different HSPA+ (3g 4g) bands than At&t, so that's why you are stuck on edge. They are updating the bands to make At&t phones which use 1900mhz freq for 4g3g work on their network; but it's taking a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    With T-mobile now offering 4G coverage, should a GSM Pre 3 be able to use their 4G service?

I just got a Pre 3 and and inserted a T-Mobile sim in it and only see Edge. The area I am i is suppose to have excellent 4G coverage.

Or are there setting changes to be made?
    It's all about what frequency is used for what speed in your area.

T-Mo uses the 1700 MHz band that almost no other US carrier uses.

Traditionally it carries their fastest speed service so that only T-Mo branded phones get the fastest access to T-Mo's network.

Pre 3 does not have the 1700 band on the comm board. When T-Mo rolled out H+ it went to 1700 and Edge went to 1900 MHz (which Pre 3 has and you are using).

T-Mo is in the process of moving LTE to 1700. When they convert in your area (and reports are they have only done a few major markets so far) H+ will shift to 1900 and you will get "faux g" as H+ is sometimes called.

When that shift will happen in your area no one here can say.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  4.    #4  
    Thanks! I was trying to get the question out without creating a wall post, lol.

So that makes sense, the 4G in Tampa is 1700 and not 1900 yet, I was aware that there needed to be a switch, but I really had not seen anything about if it had mostly happened or not.

Things were pretty zippy but I did not see a data symbol and realized I was on WiFi (derp). Turned that off and gor Edge and crawled. Hum.

Bought a T-Mobile plan with a Galaxy II to resell, now wondering if I should hold on to it till the area catches up.

Straight Talk seemed to have too many issues (from my reading).
    based on the sightings page T-Mobile has rolled out 3g around my area, but not in my area, what gives T-Mobile?
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    Might be for just a tower near by that your phone is too far from. Apparently by me, I missing out by 1/4 mile.
    it's very possible you need to update your settings. the T-Mo site offers settings for Iphones, and there's a variation between the 4 and 4S models. check it here:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383

(i've c/p'd the settings/instructions in another thread today if this link ever breaks. search my post history if necessary.)

fyi: they're about to unleash HSPA+ on 1900 in Atlanta, so now their stores have signs in the windows that are encouraging bringing IPhones over from ATT.

I don't know if all T-Mo stores nationwide are getting these signs at the same time, or if they're releasing the signs as each market comes online. But if that's the case, then you all can just keep an eye out for when the promo signs show up near you.

I went into one of the stores and asked when was the 1900 going to be available, and the rep in the Atlanta store said "coverage is spotty and coming online now, should be pretty good here in a month, and everywhere by the end of the year."

After i left i wondered if "everywhere" meant Atlanta metro area, or nationwide.