Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I just tweeted it about a week ago; after the disappointing iPhone 5 announcement I reinstated the use of my Pre 3 and actually didn't miss the iPhone 4S that much. Still there are some apps that I dearly miss but on the other hand, the Pre 3 has so many other benefits. But that has been pointed out in numerous other discussions.
    Not planning an iPhone 5 buy anytime soon, I decided to get another Pre 3 just for backup reasons and as a battery charging unit. I ordered one through Amazon UK for around 150 GBP and it was delivered to me today.

What I notice is the major difference between the new Pre 3 and my current one (which I have for about 9 months). The new one is much more sturdy, not wobbling (like there are some loose elements in the phone) and also the keyboard feels completely different. Much easier to type on the new one than one the older one.

Question: does the Pre 3 wear out over time resulting in this difference between the devices or has there been some different batches from the factory that make this change, or is this very much device specific and you just have to have some luck to get a solid feeling unit. For the moment the new one is definitely feeling much better than the older one.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by ridmaur View Post
    I just tweeted it about a week ago; after the disappointing iPhone 5 announcement I reinstated the use of my Pre 3 and actually didn't miss the iPhone 4S that much. Still there are some apps that I dearly miss but on the other hand, the Pre 3 has so many other benefits. But that has been pointed out in numerous other discussions.
    Not planning an iPhone 5 buy anytime soon, I decided to get another Pre 3 just for backup reasons and as a battery charging unit. I ordered one through Amazon UK for around 150 GBP and it was delivered to me today.

What I notice is the major difference between the new Pre 3 and my current one (which I have for about 9 months). The new one is much more sturdy, not wobbling (like there are some loose elements in the phone) and also the keyboard feels completely different. Much easier to type on the new one than one the older one.

Question: does the Pre 3 wear out over time resulting in this difference between the devices or has there been some different batches from the factory that make this change, or is this very much device specific and you just have to have some luck to get a solid feeling unit. For the moment the new one is definitely feeling much better than the older one.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Rob
    I can't speak to the Pre3, but I had a launch day Pre+ on Verizon (Jan 25, 2010) as did my coworker. By year's end, his had developed a bit of the oreo wobble, so he returned it for a replacement. The new one was definitely more sound, and his keyboard worked much better. I recall reading that the early run of Pre+ was a bit subpar, particularly the construction of the keyboard and the slider. So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the second or third production run of the Pre3 might have had some tweaks to improve the build quality.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I've had my Pre3 for about a year now and it was rock solid when I got it and its still as rock solid as it was then. My original Pre and Pre+ on the other hand got more wobbly as time went on. seems like they made some improvements to the slider.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I got a backup Pre3 as well.

Prices on ebay seem to have dropped quite a bit recently presumably 1 year contracts are up.
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    its nice to hear you have at least 1 solid device of the 2, its also weird that what youve noticed of the 2 same? devices could apply to the touchpad as well, some people on these very forums often stating the bad build quality with their touchpads while others having no or few bad issues.

does make you think about the good/bad batch theory.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    mine is wobbly after 9 months, but not that much to worry you, keyboard is fine though - i believe it has to do with often use as the pre+ that i use only as a car pc/player it is very hard to press the keys nowadays since it hasnt been in use and frozen and overheated so many times while on the charger and in cold nights
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I got a backup Pre3 as well.

Prices on ebay seem to have dropped quite a bit recently presumably 1 year contracts are up.
    Is that Stuart Holden in your Avatar? You a Bolton supporter?
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I have two pre3s also. One is a year old and one is brand new. The year old one is a bit wobbly so I would say yes it will wear over time. I should sell the new one now that I can get a spare battery.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums