webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Which Australian Network for Pre 3 ?
Which Australian Network for Pre 3 ?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benh

Old 09/19/2012, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have an AT&T Pre3 which I use to use on Telstra but gave up on (went back to Pre2) after 6 months of continual reboots.

I'm lead to believe that this problem is really only present when using the AT&T Pre3 on Telstra and NOT other networks.

I'm thinking of going back to the Pre3 and changing networks.

Are their any AT&T Pre3 users that are experiencing NO reboot issues? If so what network are you using?

Optus, Vodafone, Virgin, Amaysim ??

Thanking You.
thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
I have an AT&T Pre3 which I use to use on Telstra but gave up on (went back to Pre2) after 6 months of continual reboots.

I'm lead to believe that this problem is really only present when using the AT&T Pre3 on Telstra and NOT other networks.

I'm thinking of going back to the Pre3 and changing networks.

Are their any AT&T Pre3 users that are experiencing NO reboot issues? If so what network are you using?

Optus, Vodafone, Virgin, Amaysim ??

Thanking You.
I have a Veer (2.1.2) and my wife has a Pre 3 (2.2.4) both on Telstra and neither of us get reboots. We are in Melbourne's western suburbs where the signal is low for Telstra and virtually non-existent for optus/vodaphone.

I have wifi and data always on, my wife practically never has wifi or data on. We both leave bluetooth and gps off all the time.

Doesn't answer your question, but thought you might like the info.

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: thirst
Old 09/20/2012, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Ben, East Melbourne here. The Telstra issue using the Pre3 is when using the data connection so your wife is lucky she doesn't have to use it often. Many Telstra Pre3 users have the reboot issue but I know other networks don't.
Thanks again. Hopefully some other Aussie Pre3 users will provide some feedback. Cheers.
Old 09/20/2012, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Whooooooaaaaaaa!!! So there's other people in Aus using a Pre 3 as well?! Hey guys!

Thirst, I'm on Vodafone and have not had any issues.. as you probably know, Voda is upgrading its network to include 850MHz towers, which I think are the same frequency as Telstra's NextG, which in turn, is equivalent to the AT&T 3G spectrum..

While I'm game to completely reject it, wouldn't the random reboots more likely be due to hardware issues rather than due to something on the Telstra network? Have you tried swapping sim cards, manually editing the APNs in the phone app, webOS doctoring?

Maybe as a last ditch effort then try a few different cheap prepaid starter kits from Woolies / Safeway to see if it really is the Telstra network?

Don't give up on the Pre3! Esp when you're from Oz too!

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi dr3wster, there are quite a number of Pre3 users downunder and a lot of them on Telstra are experiening this reboot issue.

refer to this thread for your interest......

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

I think from all the investigation done in the above thread and others that the issue is definately carrier related.

I might try your suggestion of a cheap SIM kit to see how I go. I didn't know that Voda were upgrading to 850mhz, when I first bought the AT&T version I was led to believe that it would only get data via Telstra, whereas if you had the European version you could use it on Voda/Optus etc.

Telstra was my preference but maybe it's time to change if I can get back onto the Pre3.

Cheers.
Old 09/23/2012, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Carrier related, works GREAT on voda wanna buy a Pre3 ? I'm on telstra, too many reboots

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: stuartguthrie
Old 09/23/2012, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
Carrier related, works GREAT on voda wanna buy a Pre3 ? I'm on telstra, too many reboots
As somebody mentioned earlier Voda are implementing an 850 network, so if you have an AT&T phone you should be able to run it on Vodaphone. In fact, I thought that they were turning 900 off at the end of August and I would be in trouble with my EU Pre 3, but I still have 3G.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
As somebody mentioned earlier Voda are implementing an 850 network, so if you have an AT&T phone you should be able to run it on Vodaphone. In fact, I thought that they were turning 900 off at the end of August and I would be in trouble with my EU Pre 3, but I still have 3G.
Sad as it is, our company moved to Telstra about the time I got my Pre3, so I had a couple of good months with it, and then it started the random rebooting. It's definitely an incompatibility with telstra soft/firmware, but it ain't gonna get fixed. I loaned my 3 to a friends mum on Voda for a week or two, and it works great.

I actually have a 4G SGS3 on order from Telstra, so will probably box up my pre, pre2, veer, and pre3, and store them, or ebay them. It's been fun, but you have to be realistic.

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have purchased a prepaid Voda SIM kit and been using it for the last 48hrs with no reboots at all! It's good to be back on the Pre3, I love the Pre2 but the screen and the keyboard on the 3 are on another level.

If I get no reboots over the next week and the signal/data performance on Voda holds up I'll be changing over to Voda permanently.

I prefer Telstra just because it has better coverage but I'll compromise for the Pre3.

Thanks to all for your feedback and thoughts.

Cheers.
Old 09/27/2012, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
Have purchased a prepaid Voda SIM kit and been using it for the last 48hrs with no reboots at all! It's good to be back on the Pre3, I love the Pre2 but the screen and the keyboard on the 3 are on another level.

If I get no reboots over the next week and the signal/data performance on Voda holds up I'll be changing over to Voda permanently.

I prefer Telstra just because it has better coverage but I'll compromise for the Pre3.

Thanks to all for your feedback and thoughts.

Cheers.
I had a Pre 3, but changed to a Veer because of the reboots (on Telstra in rural NSW)

Veer goes well, but like the Pre 3, the GPS doesn't work. Have any Aussie Pre 3 or Veer owners had any sucess getting the GPS to work?

Without a location aware phone, I don't feel like I have a 'smartphone'

Any tips appreciated
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Pre 3 (on telstra)'s GPS works okay, if a little slow. On my Pre 2 and Veer though, it needs a little encouragement. I think there's an app called 'GPS fix' or something like that in the app catelogue, and although it may take a while, it usually helps the phone find a GPS connection.
veyron431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
My Pre 3 (on telstra)'s GPS works okay, if a little slow. On my Pre 2 and Veer though, it needs a little encouragement. I think there's an app called 'GPS fix' or something like that in the app catelogue, and although it may take a while, it usually helps the phone find a GPS connection.
I second the idea of using GPSfix to kickstart GPS. I don't use GPS much but GPSfix will reliably get a fix within minutes
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 01:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
I've been using the Pre3 on the 3 (now Vodafone) network since about October last year, and haven't had any issues. Prior to that I used the Pre, Pre 2 and Veer on the Vodafone network without any hassles. My Mum uses her Pre3 on the Optus network and also has no problems with it. Neither one of us have constant reboots. I reboot my Pre3 a couple of times each week, but that's only because my phone needs to be turned off on certain worksites.

Stu :-)
stuartguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
I've been using the Pre3 on the 3 (now Vodafone) network since about October last year, and haven't had any issues. Prior to that I used the Pre, Pre 2 and Veer on the Vodafone network without any hassles. My Mum uses her Pre3 on the Optus network and also has no problems with it. Neither one of us have constant reboots. I reboot my Pre3 a couple of times each week, but that's only because my phone needs to be turned off on certain worksites.

Stu :-)
Hi Stu,

Is your Mum's Pre3 a US AT&T version or a EU version. ie:- Does the US AT&T work with data on Optus now?

I've been testing Voda which is OK at work but weak at home.

Cheers.
Old 12/05/2012, 04:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Guys
confirming Telstra 3G issue here, Melbourne.
Mine restarts many times a day but I found a fix - just keep it in 2G only.
Now the better fix would be to get on Vodafone, or Optus.
I have Vodafone prepaid now and it is phenomenal - battery life much better because there' no internal fight of modem and network, and 3G is working.
Telstra quickly became a network for it's own handsets.
Even my 4 yo Nokia N97 mini now mostly goes onto EDGE or GSM but in 2010 it was showing 3.5G.
They have "optimized" the network for the chosen ones...
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2013, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Posting my workaround in case someone else acquires a Pre3, is on Telstra and is disappointed by the reboots (I assume all existing users have moved carriers or phones by now).

I recently moved from a Veer (which was having some battery problems but never reboot issues) to a Pre3 as my wife now has a Blackberry from work. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my wife never used the data, so never experienced the reboots. When I started using it with data on, I was getting regular reboots.

The previous poster mentioned that 2G stops the rebooting, but I found it unbearably slow and I didn't want to change carrier.

My workaround is to use Mode Switcher. When my screen is off and wifi not connected, it drops back to 2G data, which is all I need to get emails etc. When my screen is on it switches to 3G data and I can browse etc at better speeds.

The reboots don't seem to happen if you are constantly using the 3G data, only if you leave it idle for a while, so Mode Switcher is working well for me so far.

I only added the "wifi not connected" part in as the phone was constantly making that mobile phone noise through my bedside radio when it was on 2G (I also have to keep it away from the car radio).

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by siobhanellis likes this.
Thanked By: siobhanellis
Old 06/19/2013, 04:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have pre 3 on Optus works wonderfully, GPS is great with ndrive just purchased the maps. If I had 4g I would never leave as it is I'm on for a few years I have two spare pre 3s and a veer.
modelnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0