Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By webOSnomad
  • 1 Post By carldc
  • 1 Post By carldc
  1.    #1  
    So, c'mon people, we've all heard tell of the battery, the software, and the build quality (slider wobble), let's look at the rest of the phone.

Keyboard: Do you like it? What, if anything, would you change about it?

Screen: Is it big enough? Is it sharp enough?

Dimensions: What do you make of the size and feel of the phone?

Let it out people, let's hear the details
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    scjjtt likes this.
    What slider wobble? I thought that was the original PrPrPr&#$275$;
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3.    #3  
    One of mines wobbles (like the original did) and the other rocks about when open
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    So, c'mon people, we've all heard tell of the battery, the software, and the build quality (slider wobble), let's look at the rest of the phone.

Keyboard: Do you like it? What, if anything, would you change about it?

Screen: Is it big enough? Is it sharp enough?

Dimensions: What do you make of the size and feel of the phone?

Let it out people, let's hear the details
    Keyboard's fine. Best of the webOS line. If there were room, I might like some more dedicated keys (arrows, symbols), but I'm cool with it as it is.

Screen is great! It's sharp, and I like the size. I'm not a fan of these 4+" mini-tablets.

Size and feel are just right for me. I really like the smooth "pebble" design and the minimalist look.

I've had mine for about a year, and I've never looked back. Best phone investment I've ever made. I know it will age and osolesce (if that's a word), but... Not yet!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Keyboard's fine. Best of the webOS line. If there were room, I might like some more dedicated keys (arrows, symbols), but I'm cool with it as it is.

Screen is great! It's sharp, and I like the size. I'm not a fan of these 4+" mini-tablets.

Size and feel are just right for me. I really like the smooth "pebble" design and the minimalist look.

I've had mine for about a year, and I've never looked back. Best phone investment I've ever made. I know it will age and osolesce (if that's a word), but... Not yet!
    Agree with these comments (rock solid, great screen). It will only become obsolete when it doesn't continue to meet my needs. My ideal phone would be a Pre 3 with a slightly larger screen (<=4").
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The only thing I would change is to up the resolution of the existing screen. Next to my son's retina display, everything looks old-school. My slider has loosened up from use, but not to the point that my Pre Plus was at it's best.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The only thing I would change is to up the resolution of the existing screen. Next to my son's retina display, everything looks old-school. My slider has loosened up from use, but not to the point that my Pre Plus was at it's best.
    Really? It's 260 ppi, so it shouldn't seem that old school!

I was just about to say the screen is one of my favourite things about the phone. It's bright, vibrant and really REALLY crisp. Plus when it's off it has awesome deep blue reflections...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
    Really? It's 260 ppi, so it shouldn't seem that old school!

I was just about to say the screen is one of my favourite things about the phone. It's bright, vibrant and really REALLY crisp. Plus when it's off it has awesome deep blue reflections...
    Agreed. And that ppi is virtually the same as the new iPad "retina" ppi! I'm watching an MLB game right now and the picture is VERY good! Oh yeah, did we mention Flash video?
    -carldc

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaritzSmit View Post
    The only thing I would change is to up the resolution of the screen
    Should I mention that the screen is virtually the same size as the iMoan, I mean Phone. Retina display on a Pre? Or just a bigger screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaritzSmit View Post
    The only thing I would change is to up the resolution of the existing screen
    You really want more than 480x800 ?
    Screen is definetly superb. I keep it at 1% brightness most of the time because that's already really bright. Only outdoors in the sun I turn it it up to at max 16% and sometimes in the evening to 8% when I need the keyboard backlit. Sure 4" would be nicer to have but that doesn't make the screen bad at all. It's really one of the best screens I had so far.
    Keyboard is also really nice. Even had some BB users typing on my Pre 3 and they said that the keyboard is so much better then on their BB.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have no problem with any hardware components of the Pre 3 except the GPS on mine, but not my gf's, is flaky. Keyboard feels good. Battery life is decent. Screen is nice. CPU speed is decent. It should have been released formally in the US, instead of just getting a half-hearted European release, and then ending up in landfills. Just give me some webOS updates and an app ecosystem and we'd be fine. I hate that the ground lay fallow for a year after HP's acquisition of Palm, and then another year after HP killed webOS, before farming it out as Open webOS.
    Have the phone since near 1 year and :

-weight and form factor are fine, it's comfortable to be held
    -the keyboard is having a very good feedback. But I would have liked having at least also arrows
    -battery is decent. A default (okok, I know there's mugen) bigger battery still would have been good.
    -camera is quite bad.
    -screen is very good, but slightly bigger would have been nicer (4" to 4.1"), with an higher resolution in that case.
    -internal storage : I've an EU model... 8gb are too little for me. 16 - 32 should have been better.
    -microsd : it's missing... and it's needed imho
    -the external black finishing is a fingerprint magnet
    -the battery cover could surely have been designed to allow opening and closing as in the sheer majority of the phones sold in the world, aka without stressing the whole structure
    -the ram was and is not adequate... at least 256mb more would have been required
  14.    #14  
    From feedback so far I'm getting the feeling that the screen is fine but a bigger screen wouldn't be a terrible thing as long as it came with a jump in resolution.

Camera, whilst fast, is below par for decent pictures.

The keyboard is good, possibly a little bigger would be better in order to fit in arrow keys, but everything else about it is spot on.

Oh, and as ever, bigger battery would be nice.

Would this be right?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Having owned and used the Pre+ for nearly two years before getting my Pre3 (vzn), I was very impressed with the comparative quality of the phone.

The keyboard is very responsive and big enough for me - I actually started texting some (old guy here), whereas the Pre+'s keyboard was so hard to use (letters repeating or not registering) that I just used the keyboard as infrequently as possible. I have noticed just the slightest amount of "oreo-ing" with the keyboard. Not nearly as much as the Pre+ (and that I would classify as minimal).

The display also is very impressive - even after using it a year, I am sometimes caught off-guard by how crisp it is.

Regarding the size - for me it is just right. Any bigger and I would not be able to "one-hand" all the touchscreen swipes and reach the corners. Since I also opted for getting a Touchpad, I don't feel like I need a bigger phone for the screen size.

My battery life is acceptable, with minimal use I can go almost two days. With more heavy use, I'm good for most of the work day, sometimes charging it just before hitting the road home.

The camera is good for what it is - an addition to the phone. I do wish it had some zooming capabilities, though. The front camera is fine for skype use.

GPS and wifi signals work without problems.

I thought that I would use touch to share more than I have (works well, though).

I have been able to get some limited international GSM connections on this CDMA "global phone"

Other components - switches, speakers, mini-usb plug - no problems after almost a years use. I think the ringer switch is much better compared to the Pre+. No problems with scratches on the glass - even with no screen protector or special carrying case (it goes in my pocket).

All in all, it is the right size for me with sufficiently quality hardware components, that they remain "in the background" as they should.

As a note, had hp supported this and been able to work out a few of the bugs (GSM support in the CDMA models), this would have been and outstanding phone. As it is, I have no reason to switch to anything else at this time.
    Last edited by hrhoades; 09/21/2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Forgot the camera.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    BOY!

I want one but my pre2 is still cutting edge in my eyes

someday or if I find one at a steal I paid a stiff price for my two and veer
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post

Agreed and the reason so many people get "oreo" wobble is from checking for "oreo".... My sliders have all been pretty sturdy. Our sprint Pres spent most of their lives in the GRT style Sprint case though. No cases on Veers Pre2s or Pre3... I don't check for oreo. The Pre2s have a lil bit of a wobble, Veers have none, there is maybe a lil play in the Pre3, but bigger phone bigger slider more room for parts to move.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Agreed and the reason so many people get "oreo" wobble is from checking for "oreo".... My sliders have all been pretty sturdy. Our sprint Pres spent most of their lives in the GRT style Sprint case though. No cases on Veers Pre2s or Pre3... I don't check for oreo. The Pre2s have a lil bit of a wobble, Veers have none, there is maybe a lil play in the Pre3, but bigger phone bigger slider more room for parts to move.
    My old Pre- had a bit of a wobble. A quick slide up sometimes triggered a reboot . Not so with the Pre 3. Mine's still tight and sturdy after a year as my sole phone.

That's another thing about the Pre 3 -- at least compared with the older Pre -- it's just better quality.
    -carldc

OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Mos Def better quality in every way. Al thought memory management on Veer and Pre2 is MUCH better than Pre3, but I can live with it... I don't leave as many apps open on the Pre3 as I did on my older phones (having the TP has taken away the need to run phone apps in the background and makes sure I am not wasting cell data by forgetting about an app that is pulling data)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hardware quality is great IMO. A year old and mine is still solid even though I dropped it a couple times quite badly on concrete. The inside of the P fell off so I took the rest of the HP logo off and it looks great.

Call quality is great and I talk on the phone with sunroof and windows open all the time and people have no problem hearing me. Funny thing is, sometimes I'll ask someone I'm talking to on the phone if they heard something someone said who is next to me and they don't even hear that. So the two microphones work great.

Memory handling does annoy me though. When there are not a lot of apps running the phone is quick, better than the pre2, but open a few apps and the phone really does get bogged down. I had my pre2 at over 60 apps running.

I don't know why anyone would complain about the screen. Why would anyone want a higher pixel count than this on this screen size, which I think is perfect to still be able to use the phone with one hand. I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but when I have the brightness turned alll the way down, the screen doesn't want to turn off when I press the power button.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums