Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    Thank you to webOS France for pointing this one out

LunaCE on Pre3 - WebOS-Ports

Looks like the webOSPorts team is cracking on with the phone version of WOCE which is going to prove very interesting as to the flexibility of webOS (and no doubt the genius of the people working on it)
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    Awesome news ! . . Heres hoping this makes it to the states soon . . I want infinite card switching and webos weather widgets and options so bad on my Pre 3
    Vistaus likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I think we're a fair way off it reaching alpha release let alone beta or stable, but it's good to see it in the works
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    Agreed looks like there are a lot of issues currently (to be expected in an undertaking of this magnitude)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The page has been there for a number of weeks already (you could find it by using the random page option on WebOS Ports site ;-) ) Some progress has been made from what I can see... Will try the instructions on my spare Veer sometime :-)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    hhm big heading for a failed experiment, but hey we've seen other first time failures which worked out at the end.
    You'd probably have better luck reformatting the Pre3 with a larger main partition, and copying webOS from the TouchPad to it. I ran out of steam on it, it requires replacing too many parts to just do it binary .. So, either need to figure out how to build it using some of the newly opened source code, or figure out what more bits need to be copied to get it working. I'd be happy if someone wanted to carry on researching from where I left off there, but I won't be working on that anymore.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Just in case anyone is interested here is a list of the pages on the webOS Ports Wiki...
    All pages - WebOS-Ports
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    You'd probably have better luck reformatting the Pre3 with a larger main partition, and copying webOS from the TouchPad to it.
    Wot? You mean TouchPad's webOS does run on such a different (and smaller) hardware?

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'd prefer OpenWebOS NOT developing on current hardware. Why? Because I want to keep my Pre3 in working condition, and buy an ordinary, open bootloader phone, to test on it. Is there any hint yet on which is the best candidate?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Rnp and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Wot? You mean TouchPad's webOS does run on such a different (and smaller) hardware?
    Theoretically, maybe. Nobody's attempted it.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Theoretically, maybe. Nobody's attempted it.
    I have a Meta-Doctor Application Script that will put webOS 3.0.5 on a Pre3, I have tested it and although it works the Phone and other parts do not. So it is possible also someone also Ported webOS 3.0.5 to another SnapDragon phone, but again, a lot of the interface including the Phone did not work.

The script is based on the Pre2/PrePlus script it uses the Pre3 kernel, but with the Touchpad webOS 3.0.5 components.

Edit: I looked and looked and looked but could not find the script I created, so I am making a new one, once it is finished I will post it sorry for the delay...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 09/19/2012 at 11:11 PM.
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I have a Meta-Doctor Application Script that will put webOS 3.0.5 on a Pre3, I have tested it and although it works the Phone and other parts do not. So it is possible also someone also Ported webOS 3.0.5 to another SnapDragon phone, but again, a lot of the interface including the Phone did not work.

The script is based on the Pre2/PrePlus script it uses the Pre3 kernel, but with the Touchpad webOS 3.0.5 components.
    Most intriguing, do you have any screenshots? And do apps run? (save for the phone)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Most intriguing, do you have any screenshots? And do apps run? (save for the phone)
    Not at home but I will dig for the script and post it, but I do not have it on my pre3 anymore, just tested the script and stock apps.

Edit: I looked and looked and looked but could not find the script I created, so I am making a new one, once it is finished I will post it sorry for the delay...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 09/19/2012 at 11:12 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

Was this done using the doctor for the TouchPad 4G? Just curious if it'd make any difference to the usability of the phone
    TP radio is different than phone AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    TP radio is different than phone AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK
    Fair nuff, worth a try tho
    The drivers for the phone are definitely different, and since the majority of Pre3s are GSM, using the TP 4G doctor would make no difference.

Finding out what libraries 2.2.4 on the Pre3 uses would probably be a good place to start with regards to phone functions.
    It just so happens that I now have a spare Pre3 that I can mess with, but I seriously doubt that I have time to actually mess with trying to move either end of this project much further than it already would be. Perhaps someone would like to try getting past the point where I failed from that direction, if getting webOS 3 to work with the phone radio is significantly difficult. I don't know if there is enough of the phone stuff in webOS 3 to even be able to get it to work though.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    jcmarcos likes this.
    ... Which is why I wanted to try copying pretty much everything but the kernel and kernel modules into it, rather than obliterating everything and starting with a fresh 3.0.5. But time is too short.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast