Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi @all,

Pre 3 UK, 8GB using an Austrian sim.

Was on vacation in Turkey last week and noticed problems with the phone:
    - I couldn't set alarms on, the slider always immediately switched back to off
    - Couldn't set the phone to flight mode

Using Lumberjack I found error entries that some system service could not be contacted. Starting another app I saw that the database couldn't be contacted anymore. At least calling and messaging was still alright.
    On the flight back home I switched the phone off completely to find it not booting back home The HP logo comes up and sits, it does not start to flash (waited about 10 minutes).

When connecting to a PC I do only get a "removable disk" item in explorer not being able to access the data. Setting the phone to usb mode while holding volume up button works fine.

So: Has anyone had a similar problem and got rid of it without doctoring the phone? I did not backup some program data I do not want to lose

Cheers,
    Michael

*UPDATE* Got it sorted, MartinH gave me the essential hints: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...ml#post3351043
    Everything back to normal
    Last edited by MikeDeWitt; 09/11/2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Update
    A few things noticed, a few things to try...

Seen lots of Pre3, flash go into read-only mode, not sure of fix?

Seen lots of webOS devices where media partition gets stuck in read-only mode, look for Dr stuck at 12%, boot from uImage, run dosfsck...

Seen lots of webOS device flash get corrupt, some times booting from uImage, running f s c k (no spaces, when is a file system checker a swear word?) on the other partitions might fix issue...

If not one in uImage, one can use novacom to backup the entire phone (meta doctor backup automates this process)...

Then no matter what happens you have a copy of all files from the flash (including game saves, save/restore scripts can assist how to restore such data)...

Hope that helps...
    There have been times for me that when I did a normal restart, Luna refused to start up. Try Shift-Sym-R to restart it or pulling the battery. Usually when this happens to me, a second restart fixes it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Try Shift-Sym-R to restart it or pulling the battery. Usually when this happens to me, a second restart fixes it.
    I have to pull the battery now if I start the phone, so nope, that does not help
    Sounds similar to what happened to my Verizon Pre 3 a couple weeks ago, except I turned an alarm off and it was still on and going off. Device was fairly unresponsive and my Toodledo app would lose its preferences and data every time I closed it and restarted it. I also had issues getting it to restart.

I realized it was clearly time for a trip to the webOS Doctor, but there was a twist: The doctor seems to have fixed those issues, but it appears that whatever was going on also screwed up my Palm Profile since I was unable to restore my data! I tried more than 20 times and the HP/webOS chat support was utterly useless. No one here had any solutions, either. I had to start from scratch with a new profile; lost all my paid apps.

As a result, unfortunately, I'm probably going to be making the switch to the iPhone 5 as soon as it is released. I've realized that living without any real support, aside from this great community, and no serious app development can't go on forever. I'm sad about it, since I think webOS is clearly superior in its core and it will be quite an adjustment to not have a keyboard.

I will add that the Pre 3 was much more stable than my Pre or Pre 2. Both of them required monthly or every other month trips to the webOS Doctor to keep running smoothly. This was the first time I had to Doctor the Pre 3. Unfortunately, it was the least successful result I've had from that process! I wish I could get my original profile back (it's still working on my Touchpad).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Sounds similar to what happened to my Verizon Pre 3 a couple weeks ago, except I turned an alarm off and it was still on and going off. Device was fairly unresponsive and my Toodledo app would lose its preferences and data every time I closed it and restarted it. I also had issues getting it to restart.

I realized it was clearly time for a trip to the webOS Doctor, but there was a twist: The doctor seems to have fixed those issues, but it appears that whatever was going on also screwed up my Palm Profile since I was unable to restore my data! I tried more than 20 times and the HP/webOS chat support was utterly useless. No one here had any solutions, either. I had to start from scratch with a new profile; lost all my paid apps.

As a result, unfortunately, I'm probably going to be making the switch to the iPhone 5 as soon as it is released. I've realized that living without any real support, aside from this great community, and no serious app development can't go on forever. I'm sad about it, since I think webOS is clearly superior in its core and it will be quite an adjustment to not have a keyboard.

I will add that the Pre 3 was much more stable than my Pre or Pre 2. Both of them required monthly or every other month trips to the webOS Doctor to keep running smoothly. This was the first time I had to Doctor the Pre 3. Unfortunately, it was the least successful result I've had from that process! I wish I could get my original profile back (it's still working on my Touchpad).
    This does not sound promising, what you describe is really close to my problems.
    I got the phone booting again but with the same problems, is there a way to repair the sqlite database because lumberjack displays tons of errors.
    I had weird stuff in Lumberjack, too, but a lot of it didn't especially make sense to me and it seemed my only choice was the Doctor. If you do that, let me know how you make out with your Palm Profile. I have been tempted to try to log into my old one again, but don't feel like going through another wipe and restore after that if it doesn't work.
    There are a few things to do when you have a corrupt profile in HP/Palm server side, 1 call support and ask them to remove the last backup and attempt a previous restore continue while on the phone with support until restore works?, 2 use impostah to log into your old profile (from a blank devmoded device and run a backup and clear your profile, then reset device to factory default and then log back in) you will loose all you palm data but will restore you paid apps. You could also use impostah to restore previous backups...
  9.    #9  
    Backup states the 6th Sept. as last successful, I'm unsure about using the doctor as I fear to have problems with my profile

The logfile lists a lot of these errors:

POWERD-TIMEOUT: _recalculate_timeouts(), sqlite3_step failed with 10

Will try to save my applications manually to not being bothered with app tuckerbox if things go wrong.
    Who can I call? No one I talked to at Palm/HP was helpful at all.
    Oh, and I couldn't even get into my device using the old profile because the restore failed; I couldn't get past the setup.
    Who can I call? No one I talked to at Palm/HP was helpful at all.
    HP/Palm support do not know the number, but Pre3 was not official released in US, but was in UK, but a HP/Palm profile should be 100% supported... When I had an issue on the PrePlus running webOS 2.2.4, the first tech said they could not support me, but I asked for a manager and they fixed my profile, the next time I used impostah.... Worked much easier, PM me if you want we can walk thru it... (not available now but later today)
    it appears that whatever was going on also screwed up my Palm Profile since I was unable to restore my data! I tried more than 20 times and the HP/webOS chat support was utterly useless. No one here had any solutions, either. I had to start from scratch with a new profile; lost all my paid apps.
    Did they try to manually restore your data, but were unable? I had this issue with my Pre 2 and tried fifty times and was unable, but a chat with support led to a manual restoration of data.

If they truly tried and could not restore your data, even from an older backup, then that's a big problem on HP's part.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    They didn't try to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDeWitt View Post
    Backup states the 6th Sept. as last successful, I'm unsure about using the doctor as I fear to have problems with my profile

The logfile lists a lot of these errors:

POWERD-TIMEOUT: _recalculate_timeouts(), sqlite3_step failed with 10

Will try to save my applications manually to not being bothered with app tuckerbox if things go wrong.
    That looks like a powerd specific error. I think system service preferences are stored as SQLite databases in a separate directory. Try renaming /var/preferences/com.palm.power/SysTimeouts.db to have the system recreate the file.
    John - PM sent. Thanks.
    This does not sound promising, what you describe is really close to my problems.
    I got the phone booting again but with the same problems, is there a way to repair the sqlite database because lumberjack displays tons of errors.
    Mike, please read my thread http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...gets-full.html . I was in another country (Ireland) with my Pre3 (2.2.4) and I run into very similar symptoms as you did. I could not figure out the cause until I came back to my home country (Germany).
    So please open a terminal (wterm app) and look at the remaining space on /var:
    df /var
    If "Use%" is above 90% or so then please try to clean up the /var files that take much of the disc space on /var.
    Perhaps before or during your trip you also used "Mapping Tool Pro" to load lost of maps of Turkey ?

If the "full /var" issue happened to you then perhaps others things did go wrong during that time - perhaps not.
    Please let us know.

I consider this "full /var" issue as the most sever known problem for the Pre3.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Perhaps before or during your trip you also used "Mapping Tool Pro" to load lost of maps of Turkey ?
    That is exactly what I did

Will try to clean /var.
  19.    #19  
    Cleaning /var by deleting the downloadhistory got everything back I'm truely happy!

Our community sure is awesome
    Cleaning /var by deleting the downloadhistory got everything back I'm truely happy!

Our community sure is awesome
    Thanks for confirming this root cause !

It is not very obvious that you need to check out /var when seeing such trouble symptoms as you did.
    So I assume many people did run into this issue and finally doctored their device - even if it is that simple to fix this problem - if you just knew about it.

---
    Do you also feel that your Pre3 is faster after the clean up ? having less lag ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast