webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Closing slider changes volume (?)!
Closing slider changes volume (?)!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tagscuderia

Old 09/06/2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Out of the blue yesterday, the slider wouldn't close; wasn't dropped or knocked, just picked it up off a desk and attempted to close... wouldn't say "brute" force, but it needed some persuading to close -- no cracks or creaks when it did close and the mechanism appears fine.
However, whenever you close the slider, the volume decreases! Anyone else suffered a similar issue, has a solution: hardware or software?
Cheers, much appreciated.

P.S, I do have the patch to use the volume buttons as the camera shutter, I take it that this wouldn't have affected it?

Last edited by tagscuderia; 09/06/2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added detail.
tagscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It sounds physical in nature. Maybe the ribbon cable is getting pinched.

I would try not to manipulate the slider if at all possible until investigating.

Google Pre 3 disassemble for help. Check Internals as well...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would (sad to say) pretty much guarantee it's hardware and your ribbon cable is going. I know of a few folks all Pre3s that have had their ribbon cables break completely and prior to breaking they had some slider resistance.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/06/2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarified device type
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagscuderia View Post
Out of the blue yesterday, the slider wouldn't close; wasn't dropped or knocked, just picked it up off a desk and attempted to close... wouldn't say "brute" force, but it needed some persuading to close -- no cracks or creaks when it did close and the mechanism appears fine.
However, whenever you close the slider, the volume decreases! Anyone else suffered a similar issue, has a solution: hardware or software?
Cheers, much appreciated.

P.S, I do have the patch to use the volume buttons as the camera shutter, I take it that this wouldn't have affected it?
I've had same problem with my legacy Pre! Cant remember now was it related to some patch, custom loaded modem or metadoctored webOS 2.1. But, it was software related for sure.
Old 09/07/2012, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've had exactly the same problem you're describing.

My advice? Do. not. force. it. open.

From my first hand experience from doing this, it resulted in shearing the ribbon and pretty much jamming the slider. Oh, and I couldn't control the volume with the physical hardware buttons.

Like others have said, the only way back is dissassemble and repair, or get a replacement - I was lucky, I got a straight up replacement as they didn't even bother to repair my broken Pre3.
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had this issue too. Eventually I closed the slider hard enough to where it started sliding fine again. But it must have severed the audio cable in the process since my volume buttons stopped working entirely after that.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just to clear things - I've had problem with decreased volume with closed slider and it was software related. Never had problem with jammed slider.
Old 09/07/2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.
Taking the back off you could see that the slider mechanism was contacting the ribbon cable -- as to why it only decreased volume and only on closing... beats me.
All I did was push the cable flat clear of the slider, problem solved and the buttons still work, success! I was lucky not to be in the same boat as "FenrirWolf," no doubt mine has been partially damaged though.

N.B, for anyone suffering from a jammed slider: leave it and get a T5 driver, take the back off so that you can safely move the ribbon cable clear.
tagscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover, Isandunk and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/07/2012, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good to know! Glad it appears you have fixed yours and didn't suffer the fate that others have. This is really the only hardware defect I have heard of with the HP built phones.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 09/07/2012, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

If it's that simple to fix I might as well open mine up and see if it's salvageable in some form. lol
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

wait a minute lsanduck. Where did you get a replacement pre3?
ctrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2012, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrain1 View Post
Look at his location, he is in a place that got an official release... (meaning he got an actual warranty, I think EU standard, or requirement is 2 years)
Old 11/22/2012, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrain1 View Post
As OldSkoolVWLover says, I'm in the UK, so it was released here (I bought mine on contract from the Carphone Warehouse). I think at that point it was still within 90 days, so I could get it repaired for free.
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi,

I have a similar problem. When I touch the part of the device near the volume buttons while sliding down the device.

I did "erase apps and data" but it didn't help.

Is this hardware or software problem. Can it be easily fixed (I'm in an unsupported country, Poland)

Thanks!
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would guess hardware problem, and at this point I don't think there is a device worldwide still under warranty (just saying we are all in unsupported countries now)
Old 12/06/2012, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

in my case it was software problem.
Old 12/07/2012, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
in my case it was software problem.
And what did exactly cause it?
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

it was long ago and cant remember. I think it was some of advanced phone patches.

Tags
pre3, slider, volume issues

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0