Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Hello guys,

I have currently a Nokia N9 as main phone. I have left my Pre 3 after I had random reboot during calls. I wanted to know if those problems of stability had been fixed by a patch or a kernel ?
    I'm happy with my N9 but I loved the mail client of the Pre 3 and also keyboard so I could give it a second chance.

Thanks in advance !
    Not exactly, but there have been two triggers for the random reboots that have been identified. One being faulty modem firmware in which the fix is to just remain on 2G. The other is adjusting the OldSpaceSize setting in browser.conf to allow more room for javascript. Not sure what exactly you were experiencing but these have been the solutions thus far. Check out the random reset thread for all the details.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I've never had a reboot problem on my Pre 3 (I did have some problem on my old Pre-). Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Pre 3 is not just my main phone, its my ONLY phone. I have every confidence in it. My only 'insurance' is a backup Pre 3 in my closet.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    I've never had a reboot problem on my Pre 3 (I did have some problem on my old Pre-). Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Pre 3 is not just my main phone, its my ONLY phone. I have every confidence in it. My only 'insurance' is a backup Pre 3 in my closet.
    My case is ex-act-ly the same. Oh, but I don't have a spare unicorn device in closet!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Rnp, Jozz and xandros9 like this.
    I have been using an at&t Pre 3 on the at&t network for 11 months now and have yet to have one crash or reboot. It is the only phone that I use for work and play (no land line). I too have a sealed in box Pre 3 sitting in my closet. Like many people in here, after using my Pre 3 for around a month, I loved it so much that I purchase d another one for a backup
    Rnp and fxspec06 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    My case is ex-act-ly the same. Oh, but I don't have a spare unicorn device in closet!
    Well... I have!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Yeah I agree, well the main problems for me were those reboots (still rare but annoying when it happens during important phone calls) but the battery life was also short (even with a muugenbattery). But it was an amazing smartphone I agree. Do you have links with the topic which talks about the random reboots ? (sorry I have not been connected for a while)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Me three! But my backup is a Pre- in a drawer.

I actually used it (the Pre-) on holiday last month by buying a cheap pre-pay data SIM when we were in Italy and radiating a WiFi for the villa we were in. It seemed happy to run like this for 2 weeks non-stop and the Pre3 worked fine using the wifi rather than obscenely priced roaming data charges (plus my daughter was able to keep up with facebook and youtube on her laptop).

Meanwhile, in the year I have had it the Pre3 has never rebooted randomly. I have had to force a reboot a couple of times when something locked up and I have twice had the battery drain from full to empty within half an hour for an unknown reason. I consider that pretty reliable and I don't carry a spare phone.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 09/06/2012 at 11:56 AM.
    RumoredNow and Jozz like this.
    Same boat here except no backup Pre3... I do have a Veer and Pre2 backups, but that's only cuz I can't seem to part with my webOS devices.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    " Can we use the Pre 3 as main phone ? "

I would vote yes, but there have been times where I have said stupid things before
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

its the only working phone i have atm, so yeah all is well, only issue ive had re-occur thats annoying it turnign the device off for any length of time (power off, not sleep) causes my pre3 to lose time which is pretty fail tbh, means manually resetting the time every turn on.

solution so far has been to never turn it off, reboots yes, actual power downs no.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vizZir View Post
    Yeah I agree, well the main problems for me were those reboots (still rare but annoying when it happens during important phone calls) but the battery life was also short (even with a muugenbattery). But it was an amazing smartphone I agree. Do you have links with the topic which talks about the random reboots ? (sorry I have not been connected for a while)
    My first Mugen 1400 turned out to be defective. It dropped to half capacity in a couple of months. Have you checked this possibility (e.g., with Dr. Battery)? FYI, Mugen was very good about replacing the battery (though it took a long time to ship from Asia). No problems with the new one yet.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    FYI, Mugen was very good about replacing the battery (though it took a long time to ship from Asia). No problems with the new one yet.
    Guessing you are in the US, US customs slows down the shipping... every other country got theirs first at launch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Same boat here except no backup Pre3... I do have a Veer and Pre2 backups, but that's only cuz I can't seem to part with my webOS devices.
    My BACKUP backup is my old deactivated Sprint Palm Pixi.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    I still have our original sprint Pres as well
    Hello guys,

I have currently a Nokia N9 as main phone. I have left my Pre 3 after I had random reboot during calls. I wanted to know if those problems of stability had been fixed by a patch or a kernel ?
    I'm happy with my N9 but I loved the mail client of the Pre 3 and also keyboard so I could give it a second chance.

Thanks in advance !
    I run a small business with mine. Mine has never rebooted during a call but im in the USA and ATT is upgrading everywhere . Things have gotten better recently. Sometimes the phone can be slow to repond making you think it went dead. I have not seen a reboot in a very very long time. So yes, you can depend on it. Reboot it every couple of days. Esp if you travel long distances through many towers.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I have just updated some apps. Wifi seems quite unstable but I don't care really about it. What kind of kernel do you advise ? It seems I'm currently using uberkernel. I should maybe just do a manufacture reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    well my only phone is a pre│ of which I had a backup in my closet. Now I have no backup because my pre│ USB port started acting up and wouldn't charge lol. so I'm gonna have to be extra careful to keep this one in mint condition for as long as possible!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Can't you use a Touchstone for charging instead? They're dirt cheap on Amazon, eBay etc!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    But it was an amazing smartphone I agree. Do you have links with the topic which talks about the random reboots ? (sorry I have not been connected for a while)
    Go on the Pre3 forum main page, and scroll a bit. It's a lengthy topic that you'll see on page 1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast