1.    #1  
    So there is a way to convert Android APK's to BAR files for Blackberry,(see here: How to sign, convert and install Android files for your BlackBerry PlayBook using Windows or Mac ) is it possible to covert Android APK's to WebOS IPK's for use on our Pre3's? If so that potentially opens up literally thousands of apps for us.
    doesnt that only work because the blackberry has android compatability built in?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    The Playbook has something called "Android Player"

So that's pretty much changing it a bit to work better AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK

Otherwise, I haven't heard of a way to direct convert (unfortunately, simply changing the extension won't work )
    ACL is our best bet right now, other than begging for the sympathy of the dev of course.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    The Playbook has something called "Android Player"

So that's pretty much changing it a bit to work better AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK

Otherwise, I haven't heard of a way to direct convert (unfortunately, simply changing the extension won't work )
    ACL is our best bet right now, other than begging for the sympathy of the dev of course.
    Wow,just Googled ACL...When do you think that'll come out?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TabascoTX View Post
    They claim quarter 3. Although, I'm unconvinced it'll ever be released.
    Quote Originally Posted by TabascoTX View Post
    I think we will see an announcement next month (maybe October), as HP has been making their releases near the end of the month I think enough NDA will be covered by end of next month for Open Mobile to at least make a more public statement.

Then from there, we will see what happens with everything...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm not convinced that ACL will ever appear on any device.

But I don't believe for a second that we'll see it on webos in 2012. *if* that hapens it' won't be before 2013 Q2. Because that's the earliest that HP is going to look at alternatives if W8 goes wrong (as it well might).
    And even then HP has to decide against Android first - which is not a given.

But if ACL ever arives anywhere open webos has a fair chance to be the primary platform for it.
    The only real remaining alternative is Blackberry.

Android doesn't nee ACL.
    IOS is not going to tolerate ACL.
    Maemo/Meego/Tizen is getting constantly redefined with patners (mostly Nokia) joining and dropping it.
    Samsung dropped Bada.

So, unless Intel throws some more money at Tizen (formerly Mego, formerly Maemo) there is not much point to actually bring ACL to Tizen - which has much less market penetration than even our beloved tiny webos.

Blackberry would be solid platform and RIM a potentially interested partner - but they already have their own Android compatibility.

It might actually make sense for Nokia to merge ACL into their Wp7/W8 implementations. But MS wouldn't like that much and Nokia is now a de facto subsidiary fof MS.

So if the company behind ACL hasn't given up - webos is actually the most likely platform partner for ACL. But without HP investing some money into this - why would they bother?

And HP will first try to have a sucess with W8 tablets before they invest anything real in webos. If W8 takes off they are not going to throw money at an alternative platform that needs a couple of years to re-/built and grow (at least).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    The problem with Open Mobile is that, over a year later, they haven't released a single version of the ACL to the first platform they committed to last September: MeeGo. You'd think they'd just concentrate their resources on the platforms they committed to just to get the product out there rather than adding even more, right?

Well, no. They just added support for "Connected TVs and Set-Top Boxes" just before August. Hmm.

Heck, the Meego forums are wondering when it'll occur to the webOS users that OM is good at showing a lot of demos and committing to new platforms without releasing a single product: Forum - View Single Post - OpenMobile ACL - Android apps on MeeGo | MeeGo One begins to wonder if they're simply porting the same scripted demo to each platform at this point.

When they finally release a single version to market on any platform, I'll feel a little more confident that it'll ever make it to webOS. Until then, people should rightly consider it vaporware and keep their expectations in check. I'm obviously hoping for the best-case scenario where MeeGo, webOS, and all the other committed-to platforms get their ACL (as they should), but there's really nothing there at present to instill confidence that it'll actually happen other than replies from the OM team that it's coming in Q3...

...and Q3 ends at the end of September, 2012, if you'll recall. The end of this month, 27 days from now. Think it'll happen?

Also, anyone could ask Open Mobile a question and get a positive response to keep attention high, but words mean nothing without action and the big test will be whether or not they end up conveniently "pushing" the release date out.
    Then from there, we will see what happens with everything
    They're attending at the Intel Developer Forum this month 11th-13th in San Francisco.

Maybe there's someone around who can see what they've done between the months?
    I don't believe that ACL gonna bring so many advantages...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    The problem with Open Mobile is that, over a year later, they haven't released a single version of the ACL to the first platform they committed to last September: MeeGo. You'd think they'd just concentrate their resources on the platforms they committed to just to get the product out there rather than adding even more, right?

Well, no. They just added support for "Connected TVs and Set-Top Boxes" just before August. Hmm.

Heck, the Meego forums are wondering when it'll occur to the webOS users that OM is good at showing a lot of demos and committing to new platforms without releasing a single product: Forum - View Single Post - OpenMobile ACL - Android apps on MeeGo | MeeGo One begins to wonder if they're simply porting the same scripted demo to each platform at this point.

When they finally release a single version to market on any platform, I'll feel a little more confident that it'll ever make it to webOS. Until then, people should rightly consider it vaporware and keep their expectations in check. I'm obviously hoping for the best-case scenario where MeeGo, webOS, and all the other committed-to platforms get their ACL (as they should), but there's really nothing there at present to instill confidence that it'll actually happen other than replies from the OM team that it's coming in Q3...

...and Q3 ends at the end of September, 2012, if you'll recall. The end of this month, 27 days from now. Think it'll happen?

Also, anyone could ask Open Mobile a question and get a positive response to keep attention high, but words mean nothing without action and the big test will be whether or not they end up conveniently "pushing" the release date out.
    I'm beginning to believe that they are stuck in a loop of reinventing the wheel. Lots of hype and promise, but they can't seem to settle down and actually produce a beta for testing on any platform. Maybe they keep scrambling to match compatibility with next-gen OS platforms as announced instead of focusing on current, in the hands of consumers platforms???

There definitely should have been a beta for someone by this point...

I blame it on chasing corporate lucre instead of trying to get a product that can be marketed to individual users. They want $$$,$$$,$$$ rather than $+$+$+$+$...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I don't believe that ACL gonna bring so many advantages...
    It's not, but its going to give marketing a massive counter to Apple's and Android's incessant "apps.... apps... apps... more... bigger.... need.... more... thousands..." advertising drone.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive