1.    #1  
    I have an offer to buy a box-packed pre-3 for 320 dollars and i have always been a fan of palm phone since using Pixi plus. Please someone tell me is it 6too costly for todays
    I wanted an advice from anyone who has followed WEBOS development that should i buy this phone.

Please tell me something related to open WebOs. Will Pre 3 be able to run it and when will this os launch.
    Also please if any1 could elaborate on Good apps such as whatsapp available for this phone.

If you are against it please advice some other set.
    The price is a bit high.

You can get a new vzw pre3 for $300 or less from ebay. The seller is asking for $399 and will accept an offer for $300.
    The price for a new Att unlocked pre3 should be between $200-$250.

Pre3 is a good phone. I got the vzw pre3 as my primary phone. I bought a couple of them (both vzw & Att) for spare. Open webOS won't support pre3 nor tp/veer.

For apps info, you can search the forum.

Good luck.
    Check the webOS open source general discussion forum for updates. HP has announced that Open Source will not support any legacy device...

That doesn't preclude someone building a port. We don't know what is possible yet as the code will not be released until September. Most likely the very tail end of September.

I'd agree with glearner, $320 (or $350... you have a different price in the title and body of the OP) is a bit much.

If you want a lower priced alternate just to get your hand in and have a device to play with there are many Pre 2's and Veers out there for $100 or less.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    All I can say is I and many others love their Pre3s. I would say the price is a lil high, reasonable if it is VZW, but seems high for an ATT. Of course market value varies depending on who you are buying from, location, etc.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    <staff edit>

350 sounds high. I thought there were some around the 200 area. but if its the white VZW Pre3, that's a bargain!
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/29/2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I forgot what I paid for my used Verizon's pre3 but I love the thing and am not looking forward to the day this thing breaks...but its been almost a year...

I am tempted to buy a new one as backup or some old one for parts... And just how once I had my pre2 I could not go back to my pre...I can't imagine going back to my 2...although the pre2 was and still is a solid phone!

I would agree with the above on prices, around 300 for verizon and 250ish for att or unlocked. Also grab a functional pre2 for sub 100 give it a few months and then decide.
    I agree with above posts @ pricing. I have two Pre3 phones and the most I paid was $300, but I guess you know how supply and demand works. Myself, I would not own anything but these devices. We have two Pre2, two Pre3, two TouchPads, four Veer phones (for travel to Mexico) and could not be happier with our choices. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so do what makes you happy.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The Pre 3 I bought was even more than hat, but it was the only offer around where i live. I ended up trading my old iphone 3gs plus 80 eur for the pre.
    I really enjoy this phone and I didnt mind paying premium for it. Also after i got pre3 i fell in love with webOS and now i also have pre-, pre 2, two touchstones and touchpad. @ the end of september i will buy anpther TP, hp folio case, touchstone and some more accessories. I am also looking for a secondary pre 3, pixi, veer and pre+
    so you know what to expect if u buy pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nattysinister View Post
    I have an offer to buy a box-packed pre-3 for 320 dollars and i have always been a fan of palm phone since using Pixi plus.
    Then go for it. Of course it's expensive, but it's a premium device, at least from a rarity point of view. And if you got used to a Pixi, the quality and utility leap is huge.

Please someone tell me is it too costly for todays
    Yes, today you can buy better specced ordinary devices for that money. But you knew that, and are into webnOS.

Please tell me something related to open WebOs. Will Pre 3 be able to run it
    It seems openwebOS is done around webOS 3, which was made for tablets (and I find tablets useless). I fear the team is not thinking about phones, but who knows.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Then go for it. Of course it's expensive, but it's a premium device, at least from a rarity point of view. And if you got used to a Pixi, the quality and utility leap is huge.

Yes, today you can buy better specced ordinary devices for that money. But you knew that, and are into webnOS.

It seems openwebOS is done around webOS 3, which was made for tablets (and I find tablets useless). I fear the team is not thinking about phones, but who knows.
    Just read the end of your post. Very funny. Like you, I went with 8-Track vs cassettes; Sony BetaMax vs VHS; and now hooked on webOS devices. My neighbor always asks me for my weekend football picks - and then picks the other teams. He is doing very well on his betting.
    I bought mine at the low of 175 bucks. Couldnt see paying more for it. Its a nice phone but its not November 2011 anymore. For today Id rather use a Pre 2 if I wanted , or needed WebOS and wait for BB10.
    Yes BB10. I will miss the hell out of inductive charging and a slider phone for about a year, they say there will be a slider BB10 phone. So 350 is for a sure a RIP OFF. I stopped buying some brand name products many years ago. The hype just is not worth it.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've got 5 of them now; quite honestly, I think its still a better device, even with its faults, than the new stuff running iOS or Android.

I'll be on my Pre3s as long as there's a network to hook 'em to... But that's just me. I'd say get it if you want it... Life is short, enjoy it!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
  13.    #13  
    Well great advices from all of you.
    I posted two different prices by mistake. Actually the price quoted by the seller is 320$ and he is asking 30 $ more for shipping.
    I know this is way more then what one should pay for pre3.
    But there are some reasons i am dying for it:-
    First of all even after 1 year of using WebOs(Palm pixi plus) i still can not get over with the simplicity and uniqueness and CLEANLINESS this operating system offers.
    But even after this beautiful operating system there is one big reason i want this phone for and actually the main reason amongst others and that is RARITY.
    I mean people haven't seen any PIXI or WebOs devices in India(where i live). They(my friends and family and complete strangers too) just keep on keep on staring with jaws dropped when i use gesture and flick apps upwards to close them.
    Many of them have asked me to get one for them.
    So that makes me wonder what pre3 could do to these "poor" people.

Conclusion: I would go for it if i could bargain with the seller to sell it at 310-20 $ with shipping and heck i would it anyways if he doesn't agree.
    One more thing- What is the difference between At&t and Verizon pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by zizizi View Post
    The Pre 3 I bought was even more than hat, but it was the only offer around where i live. I ended up trading my old iphone 3gs plus 80 eur for the pre.
    I really enjoy this phone and I didnt mind paying premium for it. Also after i got pre3 i fell in love with webOS and now i also have pre-, pre 2, two touchstones and touchpad. @ the end of september i will buy anpther TP, hp folio case, touchstone and some more accessories. I am also looking for a secondary pre 3, pixi, veer and pre+
    so you know what to expect if u buy pre 3
    Newegg had gsm pixi+'s for 60 bucks. And amazon was selling touchstones for 4 bucks.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    pre│ on amazon for 250
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    pre│ on amazon for 250
    still a little too high.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I think its a fair price for a new pre│ . But that's just my opinion lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    pre│ on amazon for 250
    Would have bought that instantly but that seller doesn't ship to India.
    Any way around?
    Quote Originally Posted by nattysinister View Post
    One more thing- What is the difference between At&t and Verizon pre 3?
    VZW Pre3 has CDMA, AT&T GSM only. The branding is a lil different too, AT&T is branded on back of case and VZW on mirror. Only other difference would be default apps, and to activate a VZW Pre3 on VZW takes a lil more work than AT&T/unlocked.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Open OS was released today!!!,but $350 is waaay to much,i bought mine on eBay for gsm and i unlocked it for world-wide GSM use..Actually,its for sale at this point. Asking $230 for it. Includes Touch Stone,Original Box and its Carrier Unlocked. Email or Message me if interested and I'll set it up on eBay with Buy-It-Now. TabascoTX@ATT.Net
    Last edited by TabascoTX; 09/01/2012 at 04:50 PM.