Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE 9/5/12:

1. The Verizon Pre 3 comes completely unlocked!
    2. The hardware-limited UMTS frequencies for the Verizon Pre 3 currently restrict 3G connections in the US
    3. AT&T GoPhone $50/mo unlimited voice/txt/data works, but is limited to 2G/EDGE
    4. 2G service in my area sucks!

-----------------
    UPDATE 8/29/12:

I now use my Verizon Pre 3 with an AT&T pre-paid GoPhone SIM, switching between Global and GSM/UMTS modes to change carrier. I didn't have to change any of the default settings, just rebooted a couple times. So far GoPhone service in my area sucks most places I go, but I have 30 days to test and might try other pre-paid GSM carriers. I'm unsure if it sucks because of the Pre 3 radio or the service.

--------------------------------
    Definitively, has anyone in the US ever used their Verizon Pre 3 on a US GSM network/carrier?

No need to respond with speculation. I've read about the bad antenna, SIM show property and dogbert's scripts, but am seeing if anyone has actually done it, since there are a lot of things that once couldn't be done and now are. Thanks.
    Last edited by determinedd; 09/10/2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: update
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    I was able to use H20 GSM with phonecalls and texts (no data).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I was able to use H20 GSM with phonecalls and texts (no data).
    Great! I appreciate the quick response. Was it as simple as inserting the activated SIM and switching to GSM mode? If not, can you please list the additional steps you took?
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I tried with a T-Mobile sim, no service. It does work internationally though (at least in Turkey, Turkcell sim).
    Curious why do you want to run VZW on US gsm?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Curious why do you want to run VZW on US gsm?
    I'm curious and love options.
    Well I can tell you I haven't seen anyone unlock them for US but I believe just last week I saw claims of multiple EU carriers working (if I remember the thread I'll let you know).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Well I can tell you I haven't seen anyone unlock them for US but I believe just last week I saw claims of multiple EU carriers working (if I remember the thread I'll let you know).
    Yes, I've read and am monitoring the threads on connecting outside the US. bluenote states in post #2 that they were able to use an H2O SIM in their Verizon Pre 3 for voice and txt services.
    If one uses a cdma workshop/QPST they can invoke more functionality, I saw a QPST thread on it. Not sure what functionality one gains.

Pre 3 with different CDMA(!) USIM
    Last edited by John Steffes; 08/28/2012 at 12:48 PM.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If one uses a cdma workshop/QPST they can invoke more functionality, I saw a QPST thread on it. Not sure what functionality one gains.

Pre 3 with different CDMA(!) USIM
    Yeah, I saw that too, which is pretty cool. I'm focusing in more on GSM with this phone instead of CDMA since there are more network options. I might just have to get back into using QPST and poke around.
    Is dumping VZW an option if you are looking this hard into GSM?
  12.    #13  
    Is dumping VZW an option if you are looking this hard into GSM?
    No, I'm not looking to switch carriers. Just looking to expand options on a great phone! And hopefully not annoy folks trying to help.
    LOL it's all good, just curious again.
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    Great! I appreciate the quick response. Was it as simple as inserting the activated SIM and switching to GSM mode? If not, can you please list the additional steps you took?
    Yes it was that simple. There is a thread somewhere with the strings you input for H20--I believe they are the same strings you input for ATT but cannot remember.
  15.    #16  
    Went ahead and got a GoPhone SIM a few hours ago and after following these steps it connected to AT&T with the correct strings automatically, and I have data.

1. Put phone in GSM/UMTS and shutdown
    2. Install SIM and start up
    3. Check settings (didn't change anything) and restart
    4. Find an area with good reception*

*this was the only challenge!

The area by my local Chick-fil-A has great reception (thank You Lord), but other places I go are really poor and I usually get "No Service".

I'm happy that this works so easily (thanks HP) and love being able to just switch over to another number in seconds. I'm looking forward to this month of testing out AT&T.
    Last edited by determinedd; 08/29/2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: pics for kicks
    Please keep us updated, like Verizon, but some areas in my state AT&T are the only game in town, interested on the plan and it's price.
    Went ahead and got a GoPhone SIM a few hours ago and after following these steps it connected to AT&T with the correct strings automatically, and I have data.

1. Put phone in GSM/UMTS and shutdown
    2. Install SIM and start up
    3. Check settings (didn't change anything) and restart
    4. Find an area with good reception*

*this was the only challenge!

The area by my local Chick-fil-A has great reception (thank You Lord), but other places I go are really poor and I usually get "No Service".

I'm happy that this works so easily (thanks HP) and love being able to just switch over to another number in seconds. I'm looking forward to this month of testing out AT&T.
    Hmmn interesting, I don't believe I was able to get data on H20. Where can I purchase a cheap gophone sim to try this out? Do I need to have a prior account with ATT or a go phone?
  18.    #19  
    No previous anything is needed - I've always had Verizon. Just go into an AT&T store and tell them you want pre-paid service on your current phone. I chose unlimited voice/txt/data for $50, so they put my name in their system, gave me an activated GoPhone SIM and I paid with cash. The rep did tell me that the data is meant for non-smartphones, but he agreed I should go ahead and try it since the feedback he received on it actually working in smartphones was 50/50.
    No previous anything is needed - I've always had Verizon. Just go into an AT&T store and tell them you want pre-paid service on your current phone. I chose unlimited voice/txt/data for $50, so they put my name in their system, gave me an activated GoPhone SIM and I paid with cash. The rep did tell me that the data is meant for non-smartphones, but he agreed I should go ahead and try it since the feedback he received on it actually working in smartphones was 50/50.
    If it has a device specific data plan then you get no data. Unless you pay an extra 20 bucks. Examples: blackberries, iphones, etc.

This is why I dropped at&t and went with tmobile's prepaid 100 meg plan. 100 megs isn't much but due to my pixi being at&t, I don't have 3g/4g anyway. Being throttled down to 2g doesn't bother me a bit, I'd tear through 100 megs in an hour or less. Easy.

This plan is also 50 and I've ALWAYS had better experiences on tmo than at&t.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast