Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Good morning everyone. Have a question about cdma v gsm on the pre 3. As i understand it the 3 is a world phone correct? If so does it matter if I get a verizon branded model or can any unlocked pre 3 be activated on verizon?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the at&t Pre 3 (which I own, use, and like, by the way!) uses a GSM SIM card, which will not work with Verizon, which is CDMA (as is Sprint, for example). On the other hand, the Verizon Pre 3 has both Verizon's CDMA, and a GSM SIM slot, so it MIGHT work with at&t. One last caveat though... As I understand it, the Verizon Pre 3 is not 4G (HSPA+), where as the at&t Pre 3 is.

So I suppose it depends on what you want... The at&t Pre 3 will work with any carrier that uses a compatible SIM, and will get 4G if that carrier uses the same frequencies. It will not work with a CDMA carrier (U.S.: Sprint, Verizon). The Verizon Pre 3 will work with Verizon, AND with carriers using a GSM SIM card, but does not offer 4G.

I trust that someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and verify or correct all this!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Luckily I am actual pretty good in this stuff. I am pretty sure that you would need an AT&T version. Luckily they are much cheaper compared to the Verizon kind.
    The Verizon one actually came with a GSM card installed.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    As I remember, the Verizon Pre on works with Vodafone abroad. And I'm not sure its possible to get it unlocked.

So yeah, I'd go for the AT&T version
    Yeah my At&T Pre 3 works fine in the uk on Orange, hoping to use it on Orange 4g network when it made available end of this year
    I have an H20 card in my VZW pre3 (H20 uses ATT network). I get talk and text in the US but not data.
  8.    #8  
    so im still a bit confused. the AT&T model will work on verizon? I wasnt really concerned with 4G altho that would be nice. Just noticed that the vzw models are a bit higher and seem to be vanishing quickly. I havent yet raised the required cash to buy one. I also forgot to mention I dont plan on any travel outside the US so I dont really need both types I just figured world phone meant it worked with both so it should work on vzw too.
    There are European and North American versions of the Pre 3.

For North American models it really comes down to this: if you want CDMA service on Verizon or PagePlus you need a Verizon branded Pre 3...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  10.    #10  
    thanks. lol was really hoping but i guess deep down i kinda figured that. well hopefully there will still be one when i get ready to buy
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Hey bluenote, did you have to do anything special to your VZW Pre3 to get the H20 sim working?

My pre still has the original Vodaphone SIM in it and I had heard it would no work in US on GSM, and overseas it was locked to Vodaphone. Vodaphone owns a percentage of Verizon.

I traveled overseas a couple of years ago and still have an active Telestial world SIM card that I used in a little Quad Band Unlocked Samsung phone. I put it in the Pre3 but I could not get it to do anything.

I had also saw a post were a user had a Pre3 in Ireland I think and it worked but not well.

How well does your Pre3 work on the US GSM network?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I have an H20 card in my VZW pre3 (H20 uses ATT network). I get talk and text in the US but not data.
    works fine but have not used it heavily, just as interim until I turn on vzw service shortly. I inputted the strings for att talked about in the forums or maybe it did that automatically. I set the phone to do gsm signal, I will switch to auto once I get vzw.
    wizard83 likes this.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hi, wizard83. I'm not the original poster, but did take my VZN Pre3 to Ireland. I went ahead and just used the SIM that came with the unit.

My experience most probably mirrored the person's to whom you were referring.

I had a good experience with the VZN global support folks in getting things set up before leaving the U.S. In Ireland the coverage seemed to be a bit spotty - I couldn't always get a signal, or if I did, might lose it. Some locales seemed to have better coverage than others (Dublin really spotty, Galway super strong). Since I was not on work related travel, this was more of a first test run of using the Pre3 internationally. Next time, I'll experiment working with other SIMS.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    wizard83 likes this.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    took my vzw pre3 to armenia and used an Orange sim there no problem. No need to unlock it, as it's already locked. And also had the vzw intl plan so was able to use my shipped Vodafone sim there as well. Signal was almost non existent in buildings but outside was fine.
    wizard83 likes this.
    will my verizon Pre 3 Global phone work in Brasil and Argentina ?
    Quote Originally Posted by syrar View Post
    will my verizon Pre 3 Global phone work in Brasil and Argentina ?
    Theoretically yes, however I found that the GSM signal on the VZW Pre 3 is a lot poorer compared to the EU/ROW and AT&T version.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Theoretically yes, however I found that the GSM signal on the VZW Pre 3 is a lot poorer compared to the EU/ROW and AT&T version.
    can I do anything to boost it signal
    Quote Originally Posted by syrar View Post
    can I do anything to boost it signal
    I'm from Rio de Janeiro and I have a Verizon Preł... forget it!

The GSM reception is close to nothing and the phone goes in all moment to CDMA mode, because lost the GSM Signal...

I tried to change the commboard from a AT&T Preł, but this not solved the problem... continue with no signal...

For other side, the AT&T work more than perfect...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    can I use impostah to change the device profile to an NA pre 3 ATT for use in Brasil and Argentina?
    will this improve the performance?
    can I use impostah to change the device profile to an NA pre 3 ATT for use in Brasil and Argentina?
    will this improve the performance?
    No this won't help. It has to do with the device modem firmware which lacks optimization.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast