Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    No this won't help. It has to do with the device modem firmware which lacks optimization.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Herrie I understand the problem is the phones reception is poor but is there a way to boost reception? Will it just be a WiFi device when I go to Brazil? I Really want to use my pre 3 when I travel. If its set to GSM that will keep it from looking for CDMA, but your saying it just doesn't have the capability.
    thanks for any thoughts.
    Herrie I understand the problem is the phones reception is poor but is there a way to boost reception? Will it just be a WiFi device when I go to Brazil? I Really want to use my pre 3 when I travel. If its set to GSM that will keep it from looking for CDMA, but your saying it just doesn't have the capability.
    thanks for any thoughts.
    It can search for GSM but in my experience it's just very poor signal wise. I get 0-1 bar where I get 3-4 bars with a proper GSM Pre 3. Could be it's the GSM operators in my country that use a slightly different frequency compared to other countries not sure. Tested 3 different networks here without much luck...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    From a 1998 Nokia phone manual:
    Protection Cap of the Antenna

At the back of the phone below the antenna there is a connector for an external antenna. The connector maybe protected by a rubber cap. If it is, first remove the cap when connecting the external antenna.
    This phone actually had a small antenna sticking out of the top of the phone already!

So, let us assume that either antenna design (and integrating it into the body of the phone) has improved over the last few years or the number of cell towers has increased or a bit of both.

Your problem is either a badly designed/working receiver, poor aerial or lack of signal/coverage in the area.

You can't fix the last problem & the first will be tricky, but you could do a bit of research and attempt to hack an external antenna onto the phone. Most basic: buy a radio antenna from an electronics shop and use a small wire to connect it to the phone. Or read on...

Cellphone antenna booster sticker test and analysis
    How to Permanently Solve Bad Reception with a Cell Phone Signal Booster
    Cell Phone Signal Boosters, Repeaters and Amplifiers - UberSignal
    cell phone antenna as Panasonic antenna and Sanyo antenna
    Universal External Antenna and cellphone accessories at cellphoneshop
    Universal Mobile Phone Window-Mount Antenna - Antennas
    Build Your Own "SPY" Antenna - ShadoWiki
    There is a broken link in this last page to treocentral.com. The corrected link is http://forums.webosnation.com/attach...achmentid=9162 but this is a prc file for palmOS phones. Perhaps you might find a similar signal meter in the app catalogue or Preware.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/13/2014 at 11:20 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12