webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Change profile from Dr. Skipped Firstuse
Change profile from Dr. Skipped Firstuse

Old 08/09/2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello Experts,

I recently upgraded from my Pre plus on ATT to a Pre 3. However, when I put the SIM card in the Pre 3 and tried to connect, it would not let me connect to my Palm/HP profile, nor would it connect with a new email address.

I suspect that it would not let me connect to my existing profile because I hadn't yet deleted the entry in my profile for my Pre plus. Is that correct? If so, will it let me connect after I delete my Pre plus entry? Second, if I delete my Pre plus entry, will I still have all my apps and such? (I also have a touchpad on that profile which connected and synced just fine.)

I also suspect that it wouldn't let me connect with a new email address because the SIM card was linked to my existing profile. Is that correct?

Also, if my previous assumptions are correct, is there any way to replace the Dr. Skipped Firstuse profile with my own profile short of completely resetting the phone?

Finally, assuming I have to reset the phone, what is the best way to go about it?

Many Thanks!
PreProponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, the way Profiles work is that they only allow one phone per profile. So your upgrade shouldn't caused problems, it should've just erased data from your Plus and moved it to your 3 with minimal fuss.

I believe you can't connect to the data network for some reason. (I dont know why they won't let us connect to Wi-Fi before logging in/creating a profile)

You can't outright replace Dr. S F, but you can use a home brew app called "Impostah" to login, but I'm don't think it changes Dr S F.

Resetting can be done multiple ways.
1. Reset options in the Device Menu app. (on-device erase)
2. webOS doctor (synonymous to restoring an iPhone/Pod using iTunes on the desktop)
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can remove the "First Use profile created" flag, or run the First Use app from the command line. When you get a shell session open to your Pre, type

Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/launch '{"id":"com.palm.app.firstuse"}'
This will delete the Palm Profile on the phone and allow you to log in again. Note you'll get duplicated data because it will restore everything from backup.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Xandros and GMMan,

1 - I am able to connect to the data network now with the dev mode phone
2 - Just a couple of follow-on questions.

a - Assuming that I have to erase my old pre plus profile manually, will I still carry over all of my info because I have the touchpad registered on the same account?

b - Do the shell session and WebOS Doctor do effectively the same thing? If not, what are the differences?

Thanks!
Old 08/10/2012, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreProponent View Post
Thanks Xandros and GMMan,

1 - I am able to connect to the data network now with the dev mode phone
2 - Just a couple of follow-on questions.

a - Assuming that I have to erase my old pre plus profile manually, will I still carry over all of my info because I have the touchpad registered on the same account?

b - Do the shell session and WebOS Doctor do effectively the same thing? If not, what are the differences?

Thanks!
a. As long as your phone is registered under your webOS Account you will still get backup restored to your phone when you wipe of Doctor. Erasing the Palm Profile on the device removes the profile itself. Your data will still be there.
b. Very different. A shell session is interactive, where Doctor is not. The shell allows you to execute commands to do what you want, while Doctor will delete all user data and apps and reimage the phone. They both will allow you to log in to a new Palm Profile, but one removes data, and the other just launches an app.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 08/10/2012, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again GMMan!

I probably wasn't clear in my post. What I meant to say, was that if I log into my profile on the HP server and manually remove the old Pre plus profile from the online account (The pre plus is no longer working, and the SIM has been placed in the Pre 3) before deleting the Dr. Skipped profile info on the Pre 3, will I still have my App and personal data in the profile to restore to the Pre 3?

Thanks!
Old 08/10/2012, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not sure about personal data, but the apps will definitely be restored. Try logging in first and see if everything migrates over, then delete the old device. The devices are bound by IMEI or NDUID, and not by SIM serial or such.
Old 08/12/2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello all,

Thank you again for your help and recommendations. As it turned out, I did not have to remove the Pre plus profile. Once I had the data connection established and reset the phone, I was able to connect and the service switched out the new phone for the old one in my online profile and updated all the apps and data on the new phone.

Thanks!
Old 11/04/2012, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You can remove the "First Use profile created" flag, or run the First Use app from the command line. When you get a shell session open to your Pre, type

Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/launch '{"id":"com.palm.app.firstuse"}'
This will delete the Palm Profile on the phone and allow you to log in again. Note you'll get duplicated data because it will restore everything from backup.
On WebOs 2.2.4 this opens Gesture tutorial, not First Use !?

Kaido
kaidoloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidoloor View Post
On WebOs 2.2.4 this opens Gesture tutorial, not First Use !?

Kaido
Oh yeah, it behaves a bit differently than on the TouchPad. Remove the flag at /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use.
Old 11/04/2012, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Oh yeah, it behaves a bit differently than on the TouchPad. Remove the flag at /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use.
Removed the file, but still it launches Gesture Tutorial.

Kaido
kaidoloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidoloor View Post
Removed the file, but still it launches Gesture Tutorial.

Kaido
Hmm... Weird. How about also removing /var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0