• 4 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I am thinking of purchasing an unlocked Pre 3 for use on a gsm network, and I was wondering if it is worth spending twice as much on a Pre 3 than a Veer? Also, does the Pre 3 have Wi-Fi and accept normal sized SIM cards?
    I've had both and prefer the Pre3. WiFi works fine for me, I do usually just use the network signal though. It does take normal sized SIM cards. The camera is far better as well.
    And it got 2.2.4 which includes Skype in the Messaging app.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    After reading the reviews of the Pre 3 here I figured it would be better. And I like listening to music pretty much everywhere and seeing the headphone I think I wouldn't like it too much.
    I have both. I don't hate the veer, but the pre3 is better in every possible way. The keyboard is much better, the Camera is much better, its faster, The screen has much more resolution and is much easier to work on webpages on. The list goes on and on. The pre3 was indeed the best webOS phone to date... I wouldn't bother with the veer, the pre3 is easily worth the price.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I have both. I don't hate the veer, but the pre3 is better in every possible way. The keyboard is much better, the Camera is much better, its faster, The screen has much more resolution and is much easier to work on webpages on. The list goes on and on. The pre3 was indeed the best webOS phone to date... I wouldn't bother with the veer, the pre3 is easily worth the price.
    I was thinking of getting the Veer as a spare and having the Pre 3 as my main phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    ... I wouldn't bother with the veer, the pre3 is easily worth the price.
    For what it is worth, I don't have a Pre 3, but I wouldn't count out Veer. I picked one up as a backup to my Pre 2 and then unexpectedly fell in love with it. Maybe that's the difference, Pre 2 vs Veer OR Pre 3 vs Veer. Or maybe the difference is user needs/expectations. *shrug*

If you aren't a heavy web surfer on your phone, Veer fits in so many ways. My hands aren't too large so I manage the keyboard quite nicely. I find the battery life very good. I get about three days out of a charge with my normal usage. The size of the phone isn't a drawback to me. Yes the screen is a bit small, but when I need to look something up on the web I can get to the info I need and a bit of pinch/zoom gets the job done.

True - it won't be a web/video powerhouse. But that isn't every phone user. I have other devices I rely on for that...

Veer gets the same H+ as Pre 3. It can be OverClocked to 1.4GHz. I run mine at 1.2GHz and it is plenty fast (heck, I thought it did alright at stock 800MHz) and the small battery doesn't take a hit from a large screen.

The call clarity with the Active Noise Cancellation makes all my phone calls sound great in my ear and the people I talk with say I am coming through perfectly. I can't use the phone on max volume as it gets too loud, but also a plus to know I have extra (clear sounding) volume if I need it in a noisy place.

Without intending it to, Veer became my daily phone and now the Pre 2 is the backup.

A) great battery life
    B) works much faster than it should on paper - this phone isn't a slouch and I get no lag or problems
    C) perfectly "pocket sized"
    D) top shelf call quality - and isn't that what a phone is for???

I'm positive Veer isn't for everyone, but saying don't bother with the Veer really sells it short. It's got a lot of good features and webOS can-do is built right in, just like any of the Pre models.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I have them both; go for it, you won't regret it. They're both great phones... on second thought, just get both!
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Rnp and hrhoades like this.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    I have them both; go for it, you won't regret it. They're both great phones... on second thought, just get both!
    I think I will get both. Starting with the Pre 3.
    I've had both devices and you can't go wrong either way... and you definitely can't go wrong with both! Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
    I think I will get both. Starting with the Pre 3.
    While there are nice feature phones(not smartphones ) at the moment, but why spend money on both ? Just get yourself a Palm Pre 3, and plus the Palm Veer seems like a huge disappointment as a phone specially with the small size and its magnetic connectors
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    While there are nice feature phones(not smartphones ) at the moment, but why spend money on both ? Just get yourself a Palm Pre 3, and plus the Palm Veer seems like a huge disappointment as a phone specially with the small size and its magnetic connectors
    Unless you have use the Veer daily, you can't call it a disappointment. Its actually a really great phone that may not be designed for someone who wants to surf the net, but is incredibly useful!
    Nothing disappointing about those magnetic connectors, except for maybe a lack of a dust cap for when they aren't in use. The screen size wasn't great for me, and my usage, but some people liked it. I thought the magnetic connectors for both USB and earphones was pretty ingenious.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I used all; so, I believe that I can say something:

=> Veer is very good same as "dumbphone", because his size is impressive. The keyboard is very nice, a big surprise.

=> Pre 2 is great! Many times, I believe that is the perfect size, and is very, very fast. The keyboard is not so good than Veer, but works very well.

=> Pre 3 is close to excellent! The "close" is there because there is some system bugs needing fix and; solved this, is fantastic. Beautiful, responsive, very good in one hand use only... I really like that guy.

The big problem; to me, is cannot share my Palm Profile between two phones, because I wanna have my SMS history and call log in both (or more) devices. (There is someway to do that? Share using Bluetooth as Touchpad & Pre 3 was something!)

Sometimes, is interesting use the Veer (when I go to stadium, see the Botafogo X Flamengo or when I go enjoy the night, for example) and; in others, is interesting use the Pre 3 (working everyday), but I only need the same content in any places... and I really missing this.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I agree with the above, Pre3 is best, Veer and Pre2 tie due to various strengths as listed above. Honestly I haven't used a Veer other than for testing since I got my Pre2 (around last October).

The biggest weakness of the Veer is only the lack of games (so this depends on how much you use webOS for gaming now). The screensize itself wasn't really that big of an issue for me other than I had games I had purchased on my original Sprint Pre I could no longer get access to (long before apptuckerbox, but most still won't work on the Veer).

Out of all webOS phones, the Veer is one of, if not the best at memory management (Pre2 is up there as well). The connectors weren't bad, and as someone that has been in webOS for almost 3 years now I have a collection of touchstones and BT technology to make the need of plugging in almost non existent.

If you can only afford to get one, go Pre3. The Veer price isn't going up and the Pre3 price has increased over the last 9-10 months and is not showing any sign of actually going down for most NIB items (unless you are close with someone in the community, but then it is probably a used device).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Unless you have use the Veer daily, you can't call it a disappointment. Its actually a really great phone that may not be designed for someone who wants to surf the net, but is incredibly useful!
    While I don't own a Veer (decided to go with a Palm Pre 2, instead), I could only say from what my own on-hands experience I had with it inside of those retail stores(Best-Buy and AT&T) that still carries it on display(quite shock, since HP cancelled everything on WebOS). The tiny phone performance is very stable(speedy), and its no slouch by any means (something nice to see in a WebOS phone) but its tiny screen"Low resolution" and its magnetic connectors pushes off new customers into buying that phone. Not only that, but the way that it was designed with a small 910 mAh (non-removable) battery its mark another big disappointment on this tiny phone and .

Summarizing the story, the shortcomings of the Veer told me to skip the phone and make my choice with the more reliable device the Palm Pre 2(wishing it was a Palm Pre 3). I'm pretty sure that a lot of people had the same feeling when choosing between a Veer or Palm Pre device.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Nothing disappointing about those magnetic connectors, except for maybe a lack of a dust cap for when they aren't in use. The screen size wasn't great for me, and my usage, but some people liked it. I thought the magnetic connectors for both USB and earphones was pretty ingenious.
    Agree, it was pretty ingenious on WebOS team to that on a phone...yet for a phone that was meant to act as a smartphone having no built-in 3.5MM headphone jack its a killer in today's market for any particular phone. While I say that the screen size(2.6 inches), wasn't much of a problem with my Palm Pixi at first sight....later on it did actually became tiresome specially it you needed to look something on a web for more than a few seconds.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    ...yet for a phone that was meant to act as a smartphone having no built-in 3.5MM headphone jack its a killer in today's market for any particular phone.
    I laugh at all the people I see walking around with their white (yeah you know what I'm saying) headphones plugged into their device. I actually laugh at anyone that has to plug their smartphone into anything any more. We are so amazingly wireless it's great.

BT in the car BT stereo headphones, and Touchstones for all the devices. Minimum of 5 touchstones plugged in at the house (3 phone, 2 touchpad, 1 phone and 1 TP at work), TS in cars, wife carries TS and palm cable/barrel in her lunch bag to work.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You almost make it sound like it's hard to just leave that dongle attached to your earphones. That's exactly where I left mine, and I never had any issues....mind you, I travelled to work in my car, hopped in my work truck, then back into my car. I used a BT receiver for both car and truck, and I think I left my headphones in my desk....where they sit today.

I just don't think that it's that great of an argument, personally.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I kept mine in my lunch bag, just in case I needed it it would be with me... this was before I had the BT headphones though, so some times at work I used it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    The only bad thing I'll say about the mag attach cord and dongle on Veer is that if you don't have it good luck getting it replaced... You ain't walking into the local store and grabbing a replacement off the shelf.

I (like the posters above) tend to NOT loose important items like that, but I can see how it would be a major PITA if you did.

It is a heck of a system to just snap the USB cable on or the headphone jack...

About that 910 MAh battery. Is it just me? I'm surprised how long it lasts and that was my biggest worry about the Veer. A couple of tweeks and I have no complaints about battery life...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee