• 1 Post By C-Note
  • 4 Post By Alex El Gator
  • 2 Post By rnld
  • 1 Post By BoldPreza
  • 1 Post By kupfernigk
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi all

I have tried all of the OS's except webos and have always liked the look of it, nearly got one in the fire sale but were sold out every where. I can now get one for about 180, is it still worth it, I know it has a lot of Community support, are there many quality apps ( not fart ones) mainly use phone for internet, twitter, running (endomondo) email and of course phone and text.

Many thanks......
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7eNMONK3YS View Post
    Hi all

I have tried all of the OS's except webos and have always liked the look of it, nearly got one in the fire sale but were sold out every where. I can now get one for about 180, is it still worth it, I know it has a lot of Community support, are there many quality apps ( not fart ones) mainly use phone for internet, twitter, running (endomondo) email and of course phone and text.

Many thanks......
    Jump in. The water is fine. Without a doubt (IMHO) the best os for any device on the market. I have two Pre2 phones (now turned into a version of an Ipod Touch) two Pre3 phones in use on Verizon, a Touchpad 16 and a Touchpad 32. Total investment cost for all products - $1,000.00. Can't beat that with a stick, but you better hurry if you are looking for Pre3 phones - they are going fast. Plenty of verything else though. Either on Ebay or Amazon.
    Does OP feel the same way spending that much money now that Open webOS won't be coming to any of them? That's the new question people have to ask themselves.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    So open webos won't be available to any of the previous phones or tablets ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7eNMONK3YS View Post
    So open webos won't be available to any of the previous phones or tablets ?
    Not the initial Open Source release, due to driver licensing. (The driver codes are closed source for much of the hardware.)

Stay tuned on this site for other developments. No one can promise anything from Homebrew, but I don't feel anyone should discount them. There are some very smart and knowledgeable people who work on the existing devices.

Open webOS will not support existing webOS devices | webOS Nation
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Does OP feel the same way spending that much money now that Open webOS won't be coming to any of them? That's the new question people have to ask themselves.
    If you are a webOS user, you have to understand that you need to be satisfied with what is currently available and realize that anything new that may be released is an unexpected extra. If you go in knowing that, webOS is fine.

If you suffer from app envy, then it is not the platform for you. It's not like new users are locking into a 2 year contract anymore.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Not the initial Open Source release, due to driver licensing. (The driver codes are closed source for much of the hardware.)

Stay tuned on this site for other developments. No one can promise anything from Homebrew, but I don't feel anyone should discount them. There are some very smart and knowledgeable people who work on the existing devices.

Open webOS will not support existing webOS devices | webOS Nation
    Not that big a deal, at least for me. I'm not sure why:

1) Someone would want to run a 'new' OS on a 3 year old device
    2) Why I'd want to run the OS if it is not improved from the current version anyway?

I've got lots of time and it takes only a moment to change devices when I get tired of webOS. I'm kind of not into changing plans on VZW until I'm forced to.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    If you are a webOS user, you have to understand that you need to be satisfied with what is currently available and realize that anything new that may be released is an unexpected extra. If you go in knowing that, webOS is fine.

If you suffer from app envy, then it is not the platform for you. It's not like new users are locking into a 2 year contract anymore.

C
    My kids love the two Pre2 phones that I turned into faux Ipod touch devices. My wife and I think that the Pre3 phones we each have are the best phones available from Verizon. She also has the 16g Touchpad and I have the 32g for more video storage. Apps schmapps - If what you are really trying to do is have web access and make phone calls, you don't need a gazillion apps (most of which you will never use anyway) to do the basics. Yeah, I could have spent three times the amount of money on Apple products, but just didn't see the point.
    you'll have to overlook some bugs, minor and major. for normal usage, it will suffice.
    there will be moments of frustration.

Feel free to jump in, the older Pre's and Pixi's are pretty cheap, although they come with an older OS (unless you feel like some hackery.)
    Pre 2's and Veer's are some good devices, usually costing around $100 last time i checked.
    I feel Pre3's are more for the power-webOS users.
    Touchpads are more supported (more app support, firesale made them very popular)

It's worth noting a lot of apps are paid where similar functionality are free on other platforms.

(accessories are cheap on amazon IIRC. get a touchstone, they are awesome. I picked one up for $5 online.)
    Well, I just jumped in with a purchase of a new pre 3. Unfortunately it is locked but I read somewhere I can get an unlock code for it. Called at&t and it seems it was never registered on their system. My first webOS experience was with the touchpad a year ago when I picked one up during the fire sale. Then a month later got lucky and found another one at hhg on the shelf for the fire sale price, SCORE. That one is glued to my wifes hand. So, now I am trying out the cell side. Hope to read more in all the forms to take advantage of the pre 3. Any one have some posts that I should start with?

I am now a life long webOS fan.

Be progressive, not regressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    Well, I just jumped in with a purchase of a new pre 3. Unfortunately it is locked but I read somewhere I can get an unlock code for it. Called at&t and it seems it was never registered on their system. My first webOS experience was with the touchpad a year ago when I picked one up during the fire sale. Then a month later got lucky and found another one at hhg on the shelf for the fire sale price, SCORE. That one is glued to my wifes hand. So, now I am trying out the cell side. Hope to read more in all the forms to take advantage of the pre 3. Any one have some posts that I should start with?

I am now a life long webOS fan.

Be progressive, not regressive.
    sorry, don't know about att and service unlock. Good luck. Cheers
    The Pre 3 is not even a year old . Pretty new actually. If you like it you should buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    Well, I just jumped in with a purchase of a new pre 3. Unfortunately it is locked but I read somewhere I can get an unlock code for it. Called at&t and it seems it was never registered on their system...
    Try Dogbert's Method for unlocking (link in my sig) it works pretty smooth, is free and you don't have to rely on some corporation in order to get 'er done...

Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Pre 3 is not even a year old . Pretty new actually. If you like it you should buy it.
    I'm pretty well pleased with my Veer. I imagine Pre 3 is the same. Not too old to have a respectable service life no matter where the Open Source chips may fall.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    While it does not seem that the existing platform will see further development I will say as noted above the phones aren't even a year yet(I think we are just a couple weeks shy of that), and when they launched they were a class ahead of almost everything and still in fact do more than my BlackBerry to this day.

All that in mind, for your uses anyway I don't think its going to be a bad choice for you as for your stuff everything is already there you just hook yourself up.
    BlackBerry or WebOS!!! NEVER ANDROID!!!
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
    I paid 120 for mine and I reckon that it was a bargain. I already had a Touchstone, which is a really useful feature. Personally I wouldn't have paid 180 for one because I already have a Pre 2.

I've written it before and will doubtless do so again: as a communication device with a physical keyboard the Pre 3 is still the highest spec device there is (better screen and keyboard than BB9810, better everything than the Motorola etc. Androids). Maps, Quick Compass, SaveMySpot, iGPS,Phnx, Linkedin, Beeb News, Weather Channel, Mobile Hotspot, PDF viewer, RPN calculator - those are the other things I use. If that little lot meets your requirements, the Pre 3 is excellent.

I hope by the time it gives up the ghost either there will be a slider Blackberry 10 or a decent Android equivalent, because I can type at least 4 times faster on the physical keyboard than an on-screen one.
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Cheers all, will keep my eye out for a cheaper one....