webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > ATT Pre3 dead
ATT Pre3 dead

Old 07/30/2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Several days ago, I was in the middle of using my unlocked ATT Pre3 outdoors when the screen went black. I tried briefly to get it to turn back on but didn't have the time to really mess it then. Several hours later, when I got back indoors and pulled the phone out of my pocket, I noticed that the screen was on, but black. (I could see light leaking out around the sides). So I pulled the battery, re-inserted it and stuck it on the charger. Since that time, I have charged it by AC cable, touchstone and on PC. I can't get any signs of life. The computer wont recognize it. I have searched multiple forums and tried everything I've seen suggested. Nothing!

Is it a goner?
Old 07/30/2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor987 View Post
Several days ago, I was in the middle of using my unlocked ATT Pre3 outdoors when the screen went black. I tried briefly to get it to turn back on but didn't have the time to really mess it then. Several hours later, when I got back indoors and pulled the phone out of my pocket, I noticed that the screen was on, but black. (I could see light leaking out around the sides). So I pulled the battery, re-inserted it and stuck it on the charger. Since that time, I have charged it by AC cable, touchstone and on PC. I can't get any signs of life. The computer wont recognize it. I have searched multiple forums and tried everything I've seen suggested. Nothing!

Is it a goner?
There are several things I think of, bad battery, the proximity sensor that detects if your face is next to the phone is triggered/faulty, something inside the phone failed like a connection or component.

I had the blackscreen of death on my preplus, it was the battery, was 100%, went to 0%, now device shows a battery with a ? In it, replaced the battery, all back to normal.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
... I can't get any signs of life. The computer wont recognize it. ...
Have you tried re-doctoring it blindly?

I mean:

I know you won't see anything on the phone screen, but get a doctor script running and, try to get the phone on 'bootloader recovery mode' by following the steps here: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals.

If the phone does go into recovery mode, then '"Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery' (step 4)

Then proceed on the doctoring, and hopefully it works.
getsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any time I've ever had something like this on webOS battery pull has done the trick. Sorry I can't be of more help.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine is the same.

I was lucky enough to be able to doctor it (even though my volume rocker is dead) and it seemed to work. But the touchscreen is dead. Hoping someone has a fix.
fed5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your problem... My vote goes with John on the proximity sensor.

If you aren't able to get it working, I can help you salvage something from it. I have a pre 3 with a cracked screen and would be willing to discuss a price to purchase it and put the screen on my phone. Send me a PM if interested.
PreProponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreProponent View Post
If you aren't able to get it working, I can help you salvage something from it. I have a pre 3 with a cracked screen and would be willing to discuss a price to purchase it and put the screen on my phone. Send me a PM if interested.
I hope I don't get to that point, but I will keep that in mind. I haven't had time to mess with it for over a week and am still waiting for the new battery to arrive in the mail. I'll try that first. Thanks for the offer.
Old 08/08/2012, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Is it a goner?
I have had the exact same thing happen to my Pre3. The story is almost identical and the result is identical too. I too had thought. that simply pulling the battery would do the trick, but after putting the battery in again, the phone never turned on again. Have tried everything in the book, with no luck. By the way, the battery is not the issue because I have tried three different batteries, but no luck. The Pre3 is as dead as it can be.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
I have had the exact same thing happen to my Pre3. The story is almost identical and the result is identical too. I too had thought. that simply pulling the battery would do the trick, but after putting the battery in again, the phone never turned on again. Have tried everything in the book, with no luck. By the way, the battery is not the issue because I have tried three different batteries, but no luck. The Pre3 is as dead as it can be.
Yes, I figured out the same thing. Battery is not the problem. Have you tried to blindly doctor it as is mentioned above? I am going to try it as soon as I get a chance.
Old 08/09/2012, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I figured out the same thing. Battery is not the problem. Have you tried to blindly doctor it as is mentioned above? I am going to try it as soon as I get a chance.
Well, I have tried to doctor, but since I cannot get the phone to even come alive, the doctor is also not possible. Because for that too, one needs to have the phone in 'bootloader recovery mode', which I was unable to do.

Old 08/12/2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0m_us3r View Post
try inserting the battery, connecting the phone to a power source, holding the power button, and flicking the mute switch 3x.
I have recently discovered this trick, which worked for my current phone. I am currently travelling and will try this with the 'dead' phone as soon as I get back home.

Old 01/02/2013, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hello,

My Pre³ went dead on me about a week ago. I've tried the advices given in here but since it's DEAD as it can be, no luck for me. I have several batteries so that's not the issue. Tried the connecting-to-power-source_holding-power-button_flicking-mute-switch-3x and nothing.

Man, I'm on my Pre+ with no mic, nor earphone, NOR speaker working! I installed a couple of patches and suddenly the wifi is not working as well (uninstalled the "top bar" and wifi related patches, but it doesn't work still).

I tried to let it all drain (which since it gives no sing at all, don't really know if it's already drained) and plugged it to a power source and no signs of life, STILL!

If someone could help, would be deeply appreciated.

best regards,
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just wondering, do you have a touchstone, and have you tried charging thru that? Maybe the usb port is damaged.
getsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsun View Post
Just wondering, do you have a touchstone, and have you tried charging thru that? Maybe the usb port is damaged.
Yes I have;

Well, didn't try it until you mentioned it. Sadly, no luck.
I just can't figure out what happened. It just...died.

Some say, one can put the phone on USB mode through commands. I'm not a very geeky persons (but I enjoy technology, though) and don't know how to do that. Another thing would be, that I connected the phone to my Mac and it never recognized it (surely because is dead and probably has no energy left), so I do not know how it would be possible to access the phone if it's not recognized by the computer.

¿…?
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Any luck here? Same thing happened to my wife's Pre3. Completely unresponsive with black screen but phone still on, followed with battery pull. Now Pre3 is completely dead. Tried multiple batteries and every "button combo." Not able to get into recovery mode to doctor, can't turn on...

She upgraded to the Galaxy S3. Really nice phone; I've been fighting forever, but I might finally let go of webOS as a daily driver come summer time.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

UK Pre3 dead. Sat on touchstone - not charging last night. Tried turning it on in the morning and was surprised to find the battery was dead. I was sure I had turned aeroplane mode on as I don't like being woken by it during the night!
Turned touchstone on and the questions mark inside a box appeared (without the bottom red bar which indicates low battery) and couldn't get past this. Tried two other batteries and still the same!

When I charge on touchstone I receive question mark.
When I charge via USB screen goes dead after 10 secs or so.

Tried USB mode by flicking mute switch - no joy! I may try to dismantle it and reseat all the components! Unless a solution has been found beforehand!!!

I doubt it!
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
UK Pre3 dead. Sat on touchstone - not charging last night. Tried turning it on in the morning and was surprised to find the battery was dead. I was sure I had turned aeroplane mode on as I don't like being woken by it during the night!
Turned touchstone on and the questions mark inside a box appeared (without the bottom red bar which indicates low battery) and couldn't get past this. Tried two other batteries and still the same!

When I charge on touchstone I receive question mark.
When I charge via USB screen goes dead after 10 secs or so.

Tried USB mode by flicking mute switch - no joy! I may try to dismantle it and reseat all the components! Unless a solution has been found beforehand!!!

I doubt it!
Well sounds like you still have a phone that responds. You should be able to put it in USB mode and doctor it really easy.

my screen won't display anything.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead phone, power off, pre3 failure

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0