Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I made a mistake...just purchased an HP pre 3 for Verizon from Amazon. I am in the USA. Tried activating today. Would not activate. Called Verizon. Worked with tech for about 20 minutes. Tech told me they cannot activate this phone. I really believe there has to be a way to get this phone working. HELP!!!!
    Is it new or used? It could possibly have a bad ESN. That's all I got
    Keep calling until you get a reason, and demand escalation to call-center management if they can't get it running for you or can't give you a reason why they can't activate it. webOS users need to stop dealing with this "we'll activate/won't activate" crap from Verizon when it comes to the Pre 3.

Let them know that webOS is out there and the Pre 3 was made to work with Verizon whether they like it or not. If they still won't do it and it's got a clear ESN, escalate the issue to corporate.

webOS NEEDS these carriers to take it seriously when Open webOS comes out!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk1123 View Post
    Maybe I made a mistake...just purchased an HP pre 3 for Verizon from Amazon. I am in the USA. Tried activating today. Would not activate. Called Verizon. Worked with tech for about 20 minutes. Tech told me they cannot activate this phone. I really believe there has to be a way to get this phone working. HELP!!!!
    Do you know what version of the OS it is running?

Apparently the BNIB Verizon Pre 3 needs to be Doctored to a higher version than the OEM install or it won't activate OTA with VZ.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Find and use the VZ Pre 3 Doctor for 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 and see if that helps.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You need to doctor to 2.2.4 first, unless its already been upgraded. The original software will not work. I first upgraded mine to 2.23 and then 2.24 came out a few weeks later.

If you have verizon service already just go on line to myverizon and upgrade one of your existing accounts by entering the ESN. It may be called Activate or swap device. You won't get a nice photo of the Pre3 but it should work.

When I first did this mine did say Pre3 now it just says nothing.

Then dial something like *228 and do over the air programming. Make sure you have a strong cell signal.

This is how I went from a PRE+ to the PRE3
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    You need to doctor to 2.2.4 first, unless its already been upgraded. The original software will not work. I first upgraded mine to 2.23 and then 2.24 came out a few weeks later.

If you have verizon service already just go on line to myverizon and upgrade one of your existing accounts by entering the ESN. It may be called Activate or swap device. You won't get a nice photo of the Pre3 but it should work.

Then dial something like *228 and do over the air programming. Make sure you have a strong cell signal.

You beat me to it
    I did same thing, but could not dial anything at first but 911. Called verizon and they told me to bring up 911 screen erase 911 and enter the *228 and it worked like a charm. Also pulled battery from pre+ as having old phone on caused problems with transfer.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by njonjo View Post
    Is it new or used? It could possibly have a bad ESN. That's all I got
    It is new.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Do you know what version of the OS it is running?

Apparently the BNIB Verizon Pre 3 needs to be Doctored to a higher version than the OEM install or it won't activate OTA with VZ.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Find and use the VZ Pre 3 Doctor for 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 and see if that helps.
    My phone has never been activated. How do I check to see what version it is? I cannot get past trying to set up the phone. If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.
    My phone has never been activated. How do I check to see what version it is? I cannot get past trying to set up the phone. If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.
    Easy way invoke DevMode (##devmode# cdma or #*devmode# gsm/at&t), then use device info app.
  12.    #12  

How do you doctor it to the latest version? I have tried but I can't get past the phone trying to program itself to Verizon. Need help here. If I can get it updated, I think I can get it activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Keep calling until you get a reason, and demand escalation to call-center management if they can't get it running for you or can't give you a reason why they can't activate it. webOS users need to stop dealing with this "we'll activate/won't activate" crap from Verizon when it comes to the Pre 3.

Let them know that webOS is out there and the Pre 3 was made to work with Verizon whether they like it or not. If they still won't do it and it's got a clear ESN, escalate the issue to corporate.

webOS NEEDS these carriers to take it seriously when Open webOS comes out!
    Escalating isn't going to help OR get any answers. HP and Verizon never released this phone, this is a prototype (for all intents and purposes), nobody in either company is obligated to support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Easy way invoke DevMode (##devmode# cdma or #*devmode# gsm/at&t), then use device info app.
    How do you doctor it to the latest version? I have tried but I can't get past the phone trying to program itself to Verizon. Need help here. If I can get it updated, I think I can get it activated.
    Like John Steffes said... Use the dialpad to access Dev Mode. That will let you Doctor when you plug into USB...

When it goes to 911 call only get the dialer, erase 911 and punch in ##3386633# and press the call button. The Dev Mode app should open and you can turn dev mode on.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  15.    #15  

OK.....I have updated the phone to 2.2.4. I went on line to verizon wireless and changed phones by entering the ESN number on my new pre 3......still will not activate. I feel like I am getting closer, but it still is not working.

Any other ideas from anyone? I am not giving up yet. Paid too much for this phone thinking it would work on the verizon network.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    HP and Verizon never released this phone, this is a prototype (for all intents and purposes)
    Incorrect HP released the phone with employee sale no warranty. These are not prototypes like the Touchstone 2 is/was. The phones were assembled and packaged for retail (at least in the case of the ATT/EU GSM versions and everything I have seen leads me to believe the same for VZW), plug got pulled before release, but these were retail intended units.

I verified with a friend/developer/VZW Pre3 owner, devices were packaged for retail.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07/30/2012 at 11:17 AM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    OK.....I have updated the phone to 2.2.4. I went on line to verizon wireless and changed phones by entering the ESN number on my new pre 3......still will not activate. I feel like I am getting closer, but it still is not working.

Any other ideas from anyone? I am not giving up yet. Paid too much for this phone thinking it would work on the verizon network.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    I just got mine from Amazon last Thursday. The order is

1. Doctor to 2.2.3 or higher
    2. Enter MEID/ESN online
    3. Turn off old phone
    4. Restart Pre 3 and follow activation prompts, or open dial pad and enter *228 option 1

If you still don't get a dial tone and you get either "Scanning CDMA" or "Searching for network" then VZW tech should be able to give you alternate activation instructions for the Pre2 that should also work for the Pre 3. When the phone is properly connected to the network and ready for activation you should get

1. A white upward-pointing triangle in the upper right
    2. A dial tone when dialing *228
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    I went through this same exercise a couple of weeks ago. Key is having version 2.2.4 already on the phone and then getting a Verizon tech rep that can spell c-a-t without having to spot him the c and the t. After a couple of minor setting changes in the phone and a couple of re-boots - bingo.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Incorrect HP released the phone with employee sale no warranty. These are not prototypes like the Touchstone 2 is/was. The phones were assembled and packaged for retail (at least in the case of the ATT/EU GSM versions and everything I have seen leads me to believe the same for VZW), plug got pulled before release, but these were retail intended units.

I verified with a friend/developer/VZW Pre3 owner, devices were packaged for retail.
    Correct with the Verizon info. Verified by a friend of mine that works there as well. Pre3 was packaged just like you would see it in a Verizon store - right down to the little re Verizon logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by KWgators View Post
    Correct with the Verizon info. Verified by a friend of mine that works there as well. Pre3 was packaged just like you would see it in a Verizon store - right down to the little re Verizon logo.
    Pics please of mirror on back. Pwetty Pwease?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast