Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bassman97
  • 1 Post By bassman97
  1.    #1  
    Ever since I got my Pre3, I've noticed random Luna resets. When I catch it and pull up the log in Lumberjack, I notice V8 crashing at 1MB of usage, which I assume is why WebSysMgr and later LunaSysMgr later crashes in the log. I tried boosting the javascript mem limits in luna.conf but that has not solved the problem. On a side note, I note that typically my phone has full RAM usage with ~30 MB of swap usage (courtesy of free -m). I'm not sure if this is related to it, but I figure it's worth mentioning. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Is there a conf file or something similar I can look into to see if a setting is the cause?
    2. If this is related to high mem usage, are there culprits that would be the usual suspects?
    3. Any patches that could cause this?

On a side note, I did doctor recently, so I'm running fairly fresh.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Ever since I got my Pre3, I've noticed random Luna resets. When I catch it and pull up the log in Lumberjack, I notice V8 crashing at 1MB of usage, which I assume is why WebSysMgr and later LunaSysMgr later crashes in the log. I tried boosting the javascript mem limits in luna.conf but that has not solved the problem. On a side note, I note that typically my phone has full RAM usage with ~30 MB of swap usage (courtesy of free -m). I'm not sure if this is related to it, but I figure it's worth mentioning. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Is there a conf file or something similar I can look into to see if a setting is the cause?
    2. If this is related to high mem usage, are there culprits that would be the usual suspects?
    3. Any patches that could cause this?

On a side note, I did doctor recently, so I'm running fairly fresh.
    bump.
    i have a few patches in and never doctored.

About 30 days ago att finished upgradeing a town that is about 30 minutes away from me with 4g. The random restrarts or battery pull instances have just about disappeared I think. I havent gave close attention but I thought it was happening because of upgrade things. Same thing happens to cable internet when medicom works on their stuff too.

My town is next in line. They should be turning on 4g here any week now but its also wird that I cant say the phone has been doing the black shutdown battery pull or random reset lately either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually very happy with the Pre3 these days!

If you look at the other threads in other countrys people have tracked the problem down to modem firmware or issue with the carrier. I really believe it has something to do with the carrier network unfortunatly. If its happening all of the time you should sell and give warranty . Likely will be ok in another area.
    Last edited by Motorhead777#WN; 07/29/2012 at 02:56 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    i have a few patches in and never doctored.

About 30 days ago att finished upgradeing a town that is about 30 minutes away from me with 4g. The random restrarts or battery pull instances have just about disappeared I think. I havent gave close attention but I thought it was happening because of upgrade things. Same thing happens to cable internet when medicom works on their stuff too.

My town is next in line. They should be turning on 4g here any week now but its also wird that I cant say the phone has been doing the black shutdown battery pull or random reset lately either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually very happy with the Pre3 these days!

If you look at the other threads in other countrys people have tracked the problem down to modem firmware or issue with the carrier. I really believe it has something to do with the carrier network unfortunatly. If its happening all of the time you should sell and give warranty . Likely will be ok in another area.

I'm aware of the other threads. However, if you read my post, it's not the modem firmware crashing, it's V8 which takes down WebSysMgr and LunaSysMgr with it. I'm on T-Mo so I'm stuck on 2G anyway, so 3G switching isn't really the culprit for me. But, if the modem firmware leaks memory such that V8 crashes due to it, then that's a different.
    Had mine for repairs a few times because of this and other issues.
    Sadly to no avail.

This may well be my last HP product.
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 07/31/2012 at 06:09 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  6.    #6  
    I think I solved my problem.

Observing JSTop, I noticed the heap always hovered just under 64 MB, which is higher than what I was use to seeing in my Pixi. Assuming that Palm was too lazy to dive into their conf files, as the case always appears to be, I played with OldSpaceSize in the Javascript section of the browser conf files. Thinking that since webOS 2.X uses Javascript much more than 1.X, I doubled the size to 128 MB. After using it for a week afterwards, my resets have not occurred once. Looking at JSTop, my heap usage, when running what seems like JSJSJS $intensive$ $apps$, $does$ $jump$ $into$ $the$ $80$'$s$ $now$, $which$ $prior$ $to$ $the$ $change$, $would$ $explain$ $why$ $V8$ $was$ $running$ $out$ $of$ $memory$, $as$ $it$ $was$ $limited$ $to$ $a$ $value$ $below$ $that$. $Moreover$, $the$ $garbage$ $collectors$ $probably$ $would$ $kick$ $in$, $especially$ $the$ $emergency$ $ones$, $and$ $try$ $to$ $clean$ $up$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $possible$ $to$ $get$ $things$ $back$ $down$ $below$ $64$ $MB$. $Now$ $with$ $the$ $limit$ $set$ $higher$, $this$ $no$ $longer$ $happens$ $and$ $my$ $device$ $is$ $running$ $happy$.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I think I solved my problem.

Observing JSTop, I noticed the heap always hovered just under 64 MB, which is higher than what I was use to seeing in my Pixi. Assuming that Palm was too lazy to dive into their conf files, as the case always appears to be, I played with OldSpaceSize in the Javascript section of the browser conf files. Thinking that since webOS 2.X uses Javascript much more than 1.X, I doubled the size to 128 MB. After using it for a week afterwards, my resets have not occurred once. Looking at JSTop, my heap usage, when running what seems like JSJSJS $intensive$ $apps$, $does$ $jump$ $into$ $the$ $80$'$s$ $now$, $which$ $prior$ $to$ $the$ $change$, $would$ $explain$ $why$ $V8$ $was$ $running$ $out$ $of$ $memory$, $as$ $it$ $was$ $limited$ $to$ $a$ $value$ $below$ $that$. $Moreover$, $the$ $garbage$ $collectors$ $probably$ $would$ $kick$ $in$, $especially$ $the$ $emergency$ $ones$, $and$ $try$ $to$ $clean$ $up$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $possible$ $to$ $get$ $things$ $back$ $down$ $below$ $64$ $MB$. $Now$ $with$ $the$ $limit$ $set$ $higher$, $this$ $no$ $longer$ $happens$ $and$ $my$ $device$ $is$ $running$ $happy$.
    bassman97,

How do you make this change (to 128MB)? I'm just a curious and a newbie about this conf...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  8.    #8  
    Files to change are browser.conf and browser-app.conf in /etc/palm. Look for OldSpaceSize under the Javascript section. Note that I don't know if both files need to be changed, but I just did it for uniformity. My assumption is browser.conf is for WebCore to run Luna and browser-app.conf is for the actual browser application, but again, I have no idea exactly what each conf is for. Until I find out otherwise, I'm keeping them the same until I find out otherwise. Similarly, the other settings I'm no expert on. OldSpace seems to be the max heap size from what I played with, Stack is self-explanatory, or at least I would assume, and YoungSpace I'm clueless.

For size, 96 MB should be fine but I left mine on 128 MB. If you want to give yourself a heart attack, put it on 32 MB and watch the boot loop (Thank God for Novaterm when I tried this). As I am no expert, but since I'm pretty good at risk taking, take my suggestions carefully.
    Rnp likes this.
    Thanks for reply... but how you did? There is some way to change direct in device or with Webos Quick Install?

I never did nothing like that...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Thanks for reply... but how you did? There is some way to change direct in device or with Webos Quick Install?

I never did nothing like that...

Best Regards...
    You can use Internalz Pro to change it. Might have to turn on Master Mode in Preferences first.